Status
Please reply by conversation.

wvman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 19, 2014
N. Central WV
A lot of people in here are utilizing Ku Band, but when I look at the Ku channel listings on Lyngsat and some other websites, I'm not seeing a lot of channels similar to the channels we get on C-Band. I'm not running Ku right now, but I was wondering if there's an extensive list of Ku channels that aren't posted. Most of the websites I have visited list a very limited number of channels. Apparently it's worth investing in due to the number of people using it. Does anyone have a sample list of variety and movie channels on Ku?

I think the number of Ku users is high, because of the ease of use.
Plenty of Ku dishes out there for free and very easy to come by. Much more so than 8-12 foot dishes.
Plenty of them out there still to buy new.
They take up less space and easier to set up.
Easier to convince the xxxxx to set-up for those that need permission. Insert word of choice in xxxx, wife, landlord, HOA, etc.
The list could go on.
I have 3 Ku dishes up right now and I have honestly not even switched to one of them in a couple of months or so.
But if anyone knows of any cool channels I am missing, I am all ears also. :)

Of course, I would rather someone post those in the "What's Up There" forum. ;)

I use quite a few Ku signals. PBS stuff for starters. Several on 97.0W. My favorite college football team airs on Ku. and more. Yep, got to have Ku on the FTA farm

I guess I should add to my post. If you are a sports fan or news junkie, there is tons on Ku.
It is just not always there and you have to blind scan a lot. This is why it is not published.
Also yes, I forgot about 125Ku for a second. I go there for create channel about once a week.
The other PBS stuff I watch on C-Band.

I guess I should add to my post. If you are a sports fan or news junkie, there is tons on Ku.
It is just not always there and you have to blind scan a lot. This is why it is not published.
Also yes, I forgot about 125Ku for a second. I go there for create channel about once a week.
The other PBS stuff I watch on C-Band.

That's what I suspected. Mostly sports and news feeds. I'm not into sports all that much and I get enough news feeds on C-Band. I figured there may be a lot of channels that wouldn't show up until you did a blind scan, which there are, but likely nothing I'd be interested in. I have Ku equipment that hasn't been used in years, but not installed on my dishes. Never know until you ask? :)

Actually, i think its more the other way. Channels listed that don't exist any more. Or have moved and the old location hasn't been removed. I can only think of one channel that isn't listed on Lyngsat on KU.

I must admit, i do not do blind scans all that often, but I did recently, and didn't find anything new.

I do scans pretty often on the C-Band side. I usually locate temporary feeds that are not illuminated all the time, but sometimes I locate channels that are pretty good. Some of these satellites have a lot of duplicate channels, like RETRO TV, but free is OK anytime.

I did a little experiment the other day with two HDVR 3500's. I saved the channel data, then reset them to factory settings, and let both of them do a blind scan at the same time just to see what would happen. One of them found channels, about 6 I think, that the other one didn't detect. Neither picked up MeTV or Movies on Galaxy 16, and the other had about half of the GDMX channels missing. If both of them can't locate the same channels, it would be difficult to expect two or three different receivers to operate the same with a switch in the line.

I did the scan three times, and the results were the same on each receiver. I find that interesting considering both has the same software version and are the same model receivers.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I figured there may be a lot of channels that wouldn't show up until you did a blind scan,

Depends on what you want to watch or listen to.
Tons of music on ku.
Muzak channels close to 100 of them but they do require manual pid entry to work proper.
Then you have 97 ku, now there is an assortment of channels from Religious to News to foreign channels and also a variety channel that many seem to like.
KU also has NBC channels so it is nothing to be snuffed at anymore.
Never regretted the investment into the ku side of things.

Depends on what you want to watch or listen to.
Tons of music on ku.
Muzak channels close to 100 of them but they do require manual pid entry to work proper.
Then you have 97 ku, now there is an assortment of channels from Religious to News to foreign channels and also a variety channel that many seem to like.
KU also has NBC channels so it is nothing to be snuffed at anymore.
Never regretted the investment into the ku side of things.

I forgot about the music channels. My wife likes them, but she doesn't care for the music I listen to. She's 6 years younger than me, so a lot of the stuff I listened to was before her time. When we first got married, she called me at work and ask me why I had a religious album in my collection. I couldn't imagine what she was referring to. I ask her what album in was, and she answered, "Creedence Clearwater Revival." I nearly busted a rib laughing at her. Amazing how much difference a few years will make.

I forgot about the music channels.

In another thread I posted the satellite file with all those Muzak channels manually entered into the Freesat V7 user file. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3937311/
That took a great deal of time to enter and I used another members sat list file.
Later on I returned to my own list ( we liked it better) and re-entered all those channels once more as we did not need all the satellites that were in the other file.
I feel like I'm done in now from all that data entry! :what
In my list there are other audio channels and on some you can have video playing and the audio can be set to different music channels. Afterwards when re-loading to the receiver it was neat to see all that labor come through and have all those channels playing that many other receivers have difficulty it getting them all. But this little box sure does beat things.
On C-Band you have the DMX audio channels and those need the names changed unless your ok with just the channel number for the id. The only negative I saw with this receiver was that it did not do ACM music channels on 125_C.

Reactions: wvman
Lehman, do you have the stuttering issue with your V7 on Laff and some of the other channels? I haven't checked lately, but I sent a clip of the ones that were stuttering to Freesat. I haven't got an email lately to see if they addressed the issue via a freeware update.

Just checking this mux out again today I hear some audio problems on Grit, Laff & Buzzr channels only.
The picture also appears to jerk momentarily when this occurs.

Just checking this mux out again today I hear some audio problems on Grit, Laff & Buzzr channels only.
The picture also appears to jerk momentarily when this occurs.

When I went back to my old HDVR1200, it cured the stutter problem. However, this weekend I encountered a different problem. When I was watching Laff, the screen would go black, then it would go to no service. The audio never missed a beat. Then the picture would return, sometimes with the audio out of sync, and it would start working again. Never did have a loss of signal though. Not sure what's going on with that.

When I was watching Laff, the screen would go black, then it would go to no service. The audio never missed a beat. Then the picture would return, sometimes with the audio out of sync, and it would start working again.

I have been testing out a V8 super receiver and have not had the problem on this satellite mux. Other receivers showed similar problem to what you described.

As a side not the V8 is having problems on a signal on Galaxy 16 3788 H 1663 KCHF where that channel seems to be having problems on 4 different receivers here and the worst one for it is the V8 and it now no longer will play that one channel. Had not see anyone say anything as far as having problems with that particular channel and some here are not thrilled about it since it is watched by some quite a bit.
Picture appears to go in and out and does not stay locked in all the time anymore and this is occurring on different satellite systems and on all the receivers here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)