High-Def Buyers Angered

So by the writers logic, he wanted:

DVD's before he would buy a DVD player?

He wants software before buying a PC?

He wants eggs before the chicken?

And he wants it all for free?

Nor are any of his musings DirecTV specific; they are industry wide.

This guy comes off sounding like an idiot. There would never be any incentive or pay-off for anyone to make that "media", be it PC software, games, DVDs, or HD channels, etc, if no one was making or buying the playing devices (in good quantities) to use all that media. He, better than most, should understand the ramp-up, balancing act mode we just happen to be in right now during a massive conversion and we have to start somewhere; not just instantly snap a finger and be 10 years in with everything converted & perfect.

He also should have done his research on the front end and then he would have never been in the position he reports to be in, but then he wouldn't be able to pen his cry baby, poor pitiful me, sob story.

Last edited:
Well, I agree. Four years ago I bought an $$ HDTV. Went through E*. 5-6 channels I think. Year after that went to VOOM, more HD channels but ones that I wouldn't watch in a blue moon, like the "watch a tree grow" channel - you know what I mean. Then when VOOM folded I went with D*.

It's four years later and I get 11 HD channels, half of them crap. I'm not into the jaguar chasing a gazelle, every hour. Nor am I into the endless grade C movies like Smokey and the Bandit or Please Don't Eat the Daisies, that's on TNTH, HDNM, and HDN.

HBO is fine.

What I want in HD is first rate movies and sports....GOOD sports, not jai lai.

NBA, MLB...which is few and far between. MLB HD last season (on D*) was what.....one game a day????
Ths season, NBA HD is like one game every three days.

It's four years later and there's really not much on HDTV. Like I said, I'm thinking about selling everything and just going online....

Because by the end of the year D* will at least triple the amount of HD national channels now carried by E*. And if D* decides to also carry voom it will be more! :D

Art,

Please tell me how in the world can DirecTV triple their HD channel count, when those promised HD additions DO NOT EXIST (YET).

You can't add content that is not available from any source. Talk about Vaporware, besides these promises are based on TWO nominal vehicle Launches ,deployments, and system checkouts.

John

Because by the end of the year D* will at least triple the amount of HD national channels now carried by E*. And if D* decides to also carry voom it will be more! :D

Since DISH keeps their HD channel launches quiet for the most part, you can't know this to be true. The fact that DISH just successfully launched 6 channels per transponder in mpeg4 means an significant increase in space for other channels. There are still several "VIP Only" flagged channels to be converted such as UHD and some of the VOOM channels which should yield the same gains, therefore space can be available for more channels.

I see more HD Options on E* than D*, I see D* promising networks that havnt launched yet to be available by the end of the year. I would bet that E* will carry many of thsoe same networks, the only way I see D* having way more HD than E* is if they sign exclusive agreements, and guess what, you will pay thru the nose to get D* and those "exclusive" channels.. i.e Sunday Ticket "Super Fan" Pkg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)