Status
Please reply by conversation.

beer4me

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
Gowganda North Ontario
I have made the retirement move to Ontario far north , and , now have time to play with FTA [ again] . Nice to have the time. I have looked around for a while now , and , am looking for a list of HD FTA channels available . If i missed it , please point me to the thread . I hope there are some available , as I am looking into the best brand to buy as well. Thanks in advance. :up

Are you going to be C-Band, KU or both? mainly PBS and sports on KU, more full-time HD channels on C-Band.
I think many are now using a AZBOX as a receiver.

receivers

For receivers, there are a choice of two as most popular, for new purchases.
I refer you to this thread for some discussion:
What is the best priced dvb-s2 satellite receiver ?
And do check our Hardware Review sub-forum for more info about either.
(AZbox is so popular, it has its own sub-forum, and the Openbox probably should, too) - ;)

Oh, and don't forget NASA HD. :)

I appreciate.

Thanks much for the info. The link gave me some great info as well. Looks like AZbox or Openbox seen the best. Not being the brightest star in the sky , I am not that familiar with the technical terms , such a dvb 2 etc. I do like "the list " link , but am unsure as to which channels are in HD. I will be only using KU , as the big ugly dish has been outlawed [ by the wife ] . I sure am farther ahead than yesterday. Thanks again.

i would go with the openbox if your only going for Ku-Band....openbox is the best "bang for your buck" receiver.....if you had C-Band then i might say AZBox....

if you're a sports fan I would go for an azbox as lots of non HD sports feeds are in 4:2:2 which only the azbox can handle
If not then the SSO as noted above

Is it mostly SD channels that are 4:2:2? Or are there HD 4:2:2 channels/feeds also?

Sorry for the hi-jack :)

very few 4:2:2 HD feeds...I can count as many as I've run across on one hand. The most common one a couple years ago was a particular sports network of "The Evil Empire"..They've gone back to 4:2:0 HD now

But alot of non HD sports feeds are 4:2:2
Depends on the day and who is doing the broadcast. Most games from "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network" that are not in HD are 4:2:2 but the games exclusively broadcast on the internet by them (use to be 360 but now is 3) are usually 4:2:0

if you're a sports fan I would go for an azbox as lots of non HD sports feeds are in 4:2:2 which only the azbox can handle
If not then the SSO as noted above

Are they still selling the AZbox? I read some where one dealer wasn't selling anymore making way for a new receiver. I have a Solomend which suppose to be same as Openbox S9. But from what I been reading it sounds like it's a little better. I don't know compared to the azbox.

Doesn't make much sense to stop selling a receiver just to stock a different one, why not sell them both?

Hmm, I went to check on the availability of Azbox from azboxusa.com and the website is gone. When I click on the Google links I get the GoDaddy webpage asking if the visitor wanted to buy the domain name.

The Azbox distributor in Miami was just an import / export company called Werko International Import. The company primarily exports STBs for the hack market in South America. Werko has cut out the middleman and are OEM manfacturing their own brand called AZ America and play off of the Azbox name.

Rumor mill.... The Azbox is facing some import and customs problems as it does not have FCC or C UL certifications. What is printed by a manufacturer doesn't always match the certification certificates....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts