High Definition Radio Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wwwinfowarscom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Anyone out there familiar with any of the radio stations out there broadcasting in High Definition? I was hoping to be able to pick some up on ku band.

techincally there is no such thing as "high def" radio.. Terrestiral Radio (AM/FM) are starting to install what is known as IBOC transmission equipment, this allows them to broadcast a digital signal to special radios and also allows them to have a sub channel, this is far from "high def" (the bitrates on these broadcasts are from 48kbps to 96kbps (if they only do 1 IBOC Channel)

To my knowledge none of the AM/FM stations are uplinking their stuff to Satellite, but you can listen to most of them thru their various radio stations websites online.

It's not FTA but I remember someone saying the Sirius channels on E* are 128 or 192 kilobit. I haven't looked at the bitrate of any of the radio channels in FTA.

Interesting. I have been listening to some Canadian rock stations direct off satellite (101 W) and the audio quality of some of these stations is excellent
(OZ-FM especially.)

My XM radio doesn't hold a candle to some of these canadian stations.

If it's not a higher bandwidth signal than the bit rate processing must be very good. I use the digital output on the back of my Pansat 3500 and feed it into my audio system and am very impressed nonetheless!

Well wouldnt in theory there would be no such thing as HD radio since high definition is associated with how much definition the picture is, not the sound?

I suppose they could be referring to a higher sampling rate (i.e., 96khz instead of 48khz) or "bit resolution" (i.e., 24 bits instead of 16 bits), but they are trying to cash in on the buzzword "HD"...

Hard to believe the audio quality from the new "HD Radio Receivers" is going to be any better than some of the broadcasts I'm already receiving direct from satellite.

For radio, "HD" will probably be rather subjective - here's a quick rundown:

"HD Radio" is digital, where the hope is that the FM band will sound CD quality, and AM will sound FM quality. While AM is a whole other mess, FM may live up to it's promise -- provided the station doesn't screw with it too much. In addition to the main signal, HD Radio may provide another audio channel or two...possibly decreasing the audio quality on the main channel.

Anyway, as this relates to FTA, many audio channels (those on Nimiq and Echo 7) sound close to what HD will sound like. It has the potential to be better than FM. However, just like "digital audio" was supposed to be better than analog, it depends on what they do to the signal...as some of those audio signals on Ia 5 can demonstrate.

Compare any audio signals from Anik F1R / Star Choice, as received on a Motorola Digicipher 2 receiver, with those of DISH Network or Bell ExpressVu on DBS,
through one of their subscription units, or any commonly available MPEG-2 box.
The bandwidth used by Star Choice is much wider, and most ears can tell the
difference. These signals were originally intended for retransmission in cable headends as well as rebroadcasting relays, while DISH and Bell are generally for consumer use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)