High FEC rate SES 1 (101W)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andyboy90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
I am planning on installing a 8 foot C band in my backyard and would primarily like to watch SES 1 on 101W. The recommended dish size as per satbeams for my location is 7ft. I read on tvrosat that to get get complex encoding scheme like DVB-S2 Fec 5/6 or higher i need atleast 10ft dish. Is this true or will the 8 footer suffice?

Thanks

Hello it all depends do you have a clean shot at 101? and what are you trying to watch on 101? some of the TP's are kind weak.

8' is the minimum for 2 degree separation between adjacent satellites. A larger dish will provide the required gain for higher modulations and error correction ratios. The higher the FEC, the less error correction is provided. 8psk and higher modulation requires a larger and efficient dish for reliable reception. I would agree that the minimum that you should consider is 10'.

Many free 10' dishes on Craigslist, begging for a new home! :)

8' is the minimum for 2 degree separation between adjacent satellites. A larger dish will provide the required gain for higher modulations and error correction ratios. The higher the FEC, the less error correction is provided. 8psk and higher modulation requires a larger and efficient dish for reliable reception. I would agree that the minimum that you should consider is 10'.

Many free 10' dishes on Craigslist, begging for a new home! :)

Its either 8 foot dish or nothing for me because of the size of my backyard. I do have a clear unobstructed view to the satellite though

I am planning on installing a 8 foot C band in my backyard and would primarily like to watch SES 1 on 101W. The recommended dish size as per satbeams for my location is 7ft. I read on tvrosat that to get get complex encoding scheme like DVB-S2 Fec 5/6 or higher i need atleast 10ft dish. Is this true or will the 8 footer suffice?

Thanks

I am using a 7 1/2 foot Perfect 10 for this satellite, and everything comes in fine, but I'm not doing 4K, so a 10 footer would be better.

I am using a 7 1/2 foot Perfect 10 for this satellite, and everything comes in fine, but I'm not doing 4K, so a 10 footer would be better.
Sorry i didnt understand that. You dont do 4k as a choice or you dont receive 4k TPs due to your dish size? And what is your location

Edit: saw your location on your profile
Edit 2: our cases would be completely different because the footprint is really strong at your location as compared to mine

Sorry i didnt understand that. You dont do 4k as a choice or you dont receive 4k TPs due to your dish size? And what is your location

Edit: saw your location on your profile
Edit 2: our cases would be completely different because the footprint is really strong at your location as compared to mine

I don't have a 4K receiver yet. I agree, that our cases are different due to location. Idealy, at your location, a 12 foot would be even better, but having a room issue, that's definately a problem. I'm in central West Virginia.

So i am thinking to not go ahead with this because a new setup would cost me somewhere from $1400-1600 becuse its really hard to find used equipment where I live. I dont want to spend all that money and labor and then head towards a sad outcome.

Reactions: wvman
So i am thinking to not go ahead with this because a new setup would cost me somewhere from $1400-1600 becuse its really hard to find used equipment where I live. I dont want to spend all that money and labor and then head towards a sad outcome.

It's now almost impossible to find used c-band dishes in my area also, YET just yesterday, I drove down a dead-end subdivision road 5 miles from my house I hadn't driven down in years just kind of looking, but not really expecting to find anything. Here's what happened: I'll take "Name that satellite" for $500 please! HELP!

So, they ARE out there, and some are still in almost pristine state! Once you get the "bug" and keep your eyes open, you can find them. I never figured I'd find the exact dish I wanted, and to get it for only $20 (and a lot of removal work). I had been thinking about buying a Tek2000 dish, but I really don't have the money right now, as I just had my roof replaced to the tune of a bit over $8k.

A Tek2000 dish of this sort would be around $500, so it paid well for me to take it all down myself and trailer it home. I got the pole out of the ground this morning, but now am exhausted (it has 300lbs of cement on it, and it's 90 degrees today), so I'm going back tomorrow to get it on the trailer and get it home.

I'd encourage you to not despair over this, and just keep your eyes open. Tell all your friends you are looking for one, maybe even put a "wanted" post in your local Craigslist or Kijiji, and you will find them. It might not be real soon, but you never know. Hold out for a real good one, don't necessarily take the first one if it's too much work. I'd also never take a fiberglass dish anymore. Spun aluminum, OR mesh. Mesh is better to "hide" or be much less obtrusive if needed in your neighborhood area.

Last edited:
It's now almost impossible to find used c-band dishes in my area also, YET just yesterday, I drove down a dead-end subdivision road 5 miles from my house I hadn't driven down in years just kind of looking, but not really expecting to find anything. Here's what happened: I'll take "Name that satellite" for $500 please! HELP!

So, they ARE out there, and some are still in almost pristine state! Once you get the "bug" and keep your eyes open, you can find them. I never figured I'd find the exact dish I wanted, and to get it for only $20 (and a lot of removal work). I had been thinking about buying a Tek2000 dish, but I really don't have the money right now, as I just had my roof replaced to the tune of a bit over $8k.

A Tek2000 dish of this sort would be around $500, so it paid well for me to take it all down myself and trailer it home. I got the pole out of the ground this morning, but now am exhausted (it has 300lbs of cement on it, and it's 90 degrees today), so I'm going back tomorrow to get it on the trailer and get it home.

I'd encourage you to not despair over this, and just keep your eyes open. Tell all your friends you are looking for one, maybe even put a "wanted" post in your local Craigslist or Kijiji, and you will find them. It might not be real soon, but you never know. Hold out for a real good one, don't necessarily take the first one if it's too much work. I'd also never take a fiberglass dish anymore. Spun aluminum, OR mesh. Mesh is better to "hide" or be much less obtrusive if needed in your neighborhood area.

I am totally onboard for doing this but i would rather not start a project unless I am sure that it will provide me with the expected results. If i get confirmation from someone living in same footprint as mine that a 8ft dish will work for what i intend i will gladly do whatever is necessary to set one up.

find the exact dish I wanted, and to get it for only $20 (and a lot of removal work). I had been thinking about buying a Tek2000 dish, but I really don't have the money right now, as I just had my roof replaced to the tune of a bit over $8k.

Sounds like you don't have homeowners insurance. I have to pay just $1000 deductible if my roof needs replacing (or anything else) and insurance pays for the rest.

Anyway, to respond to the OP, my hail damaged 12 foot Paraclipse dish picks up everything on SES1 so I would imagine that an 8 footer might just be OK. I don't do the 4K stuff since I don't have a 4K TV. A 10 footer or larger would be better, of course.

Sounds like you don't have homeowners insurance. I have to pay just $1000 deductible if my roof needs replacing (or anything else) and insurance pays for the rest.

Of course I have homeowners insurance. However, in the USA, they don't pay to replace a roof that needs replacement due to age. They would pay if it got damaged from a tree falling on it, or high winds, or something like that.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Of course I have homeowners insurance. However, in the USA, they don't pay to replace a roof that needs replacement due to age. They would pay if it got damaged from a tree falling on it, or high winds, or something like that.

I'm with ya on this one as I had to replace my 18 year old roof back in February then the 18 year old heat pump took a dump in March??? WTF?? Roof and heat pump cost me $10,700!! OUCH!

I wish you were closer to me. Right now, I have 2 ten footers, a 9 and one 12.5 foot dish to carry home. I'd be glad to share if that was feasable. :)

Reactions: Titanium

I know what you mean. I keep finding these things when I least expect it. I ran onto a Laux Beta 9 perforated steel dish on a road I travel often. I don't know how I missed it, but I did. I also found three other wire mesh dishes not 30 miles from where I live and I wasn't even looking for them. Funny how that happens. :)

Reactions: primestar31

That sucks. I haven't had a roof that lasted that long because of the amount of hail we get around here. But, I think most roofs have a 20 or even a 30 year warranty? Not many people keep their paperwork that long for proof of warranty anyway. I kinda remember someone saying that there are 50 year roofs available also.

I am totally onboard for doing this but i would rather not start a project unless I am sure that it will provide me with the expected results. If i get confirmation from someone living in same footprint as mine that a 8ft dish will work for what i intend i will gladly do whatever is necessary to set one up.
you also have to consider if the UHD content on 101W is worth going through this effort and expense. My understanding is that it's a bit limited to mostly demos and while NASA TV is nice, it's also quite repetitive. But I don't yet have a 4k receiver so maybe those who do have a different opinion.

Reactions: beavs2112
you also have to consider if the UHD content on 101W is worth going through this effort and expense. My understanding is that it's a bit limited to mostly demos and while NASA TV is nice, it's also quite repetitive. But I don't yet have a 4k receiver so maybe those who do have a different opinion.
Thats correct but as another user pointed in one of the replies that a 10 ft dish is recommended for satellites at 2 degrees difference and majority of satellites falling in that category I think it will be waste of time. But my knowledge on how FEC works is very limited. I was trying to research if getting an expensive LNB (like Norsat) with 8ft dish would help with this issue. Maybe somebody can shed some light?
Edit: i was planning on getting a 8ft Solid dish I might be completely wrong on this but i have heard that a solid dish performs better than a mesh. I am looking for anything positive to nudge me into getting this system

That sucks. I haven't had a roof that lasted that long because of the amount of hail we get around here. But, I think most roofs have a 20 or even a 30 year warranty? Not many people keep their paperwork that long for proof of warranty anyway. I kinda remember someone saying that there are 50 year roofs available also.

Insurance companies are dropping people who have older roofs. Mine tried that until I reminded them that they paid for a new roof on my house 6 years ago. My next move is a metal roof. We have a factory about 20 miles from here that makes it. They asked me if I wanted a roof with a 30 year warranty. I told them heck no, I am 63 and I doubt I'll be around that long anyway. :biggrin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)