History Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They must be really cracking down on freebies.
I used to be able to get the audio on all the encrypted channels,at least I could listen to the history channel and others.
Now the video and audio is scrambled.The must have gone to powervu +

The only two channels with audio are normal FTA channels so I really get the feeling this is permanent. Time to find a new satellite for this dish :(

Gardenman2002 here,

I was watching american pickers a couple of days ago and it went black, the came back on the next day, then went black again. This time it has not returned. Still receiving about 74quality on both enc channels enc 1 and 2., but no audio or pics.

It would seem very bizarre to have an engineer scheduled to reconfigure the MUX at midnight on New Year's Eve. Not saying that it wouldn't happen, just that this seems a bit odd...... Overnight station PlayBack operators have been know to rewire for their own "Viewing Pleasure" with often disastrous results... LOL!!!
When I worked for Harris Corp, they had me panning a 6 meter dish at 0300 (because that's when the sat was in the center of "the box"). So it's possible that someone pulled the plug at midnight.

Well, 101 is officially dead, for me. There is zero there that I'm interested in.

Just in case, I'll leave the dish aimed there for six months then re-aim it at something else.

I've actually got more dishes now that there are usable satellites.
I quit watching Luken on 83 (352x480 @80% compression) so that dish is gathering cobwebs.
Now I pick up Luken stuff on 87 (720x480 @80% compression). No real gain there.
Now 101 is toast. Pentagon? Not in my house...

The options are getting fewer and fewer....

I guess this spring I need to do some spring cleaning on my dishes and take some of them down.
I would like to have two more 8' C-band dishes though. But KU is dying, fast..

If you guys can hold out just for a little bit longer, History will return. If not the 4th, then the 5th. And I'm not talking 'month'.
History going to return? I Hope so.
But I'm also still waiting on the bio channel to return as well.
Until then just use: history.com/videos

I will just download, add the shows to my tv drive.. plug it into my tv's usb port and click play. Problem solved.
Tv is a Samsung with ConnectShareMovie. Its plays ALL video files right from a usb hard drive with its built in player.

Dee_Ann
I use a 211k receiver with an external hard drive. No extra charge per month for the hard drive. If you want to record something to a DVD - get a DVD recorder and record that way. So with that - I own the equipment and just pay for the Welcome Package.
Bob

Dee_Ann
I use a 211k receiver with an external hard drive. No extra charge per month for the hard drive. If you want to record something to a DVD - get a DVD recorder and record that way. So with that - I own the equipment and just pay for the Welcome Package.
Bob

ditto. There is a one time $40 fee to activate the hard drive option but you can use as many drives as you want

Do you need to purchase the receiver and dish for the welcome pack, or do they install the equipment?

I caught some video briefly on the History Channel today, then it went black again.

Gunther.jpg

I called Dish last night and the salesman told me it would cost $150 for hardware but he would throw in the installation free. Not a bad deal considering it doesn't require a contract. I told him I would think about it ;)

That $150 price is probably for a 311, not a 211. If it is for a 211 system then that would be a pretty decent deal considering the receiver itself is hard to get for $100.

If you get the Welcome Package, you get your locals in HD even if you do not subscribe to HD if HD locals are available in your area.

What do they do in cases where it's not possible to put a dish on your house, such as where I am, trees block the way so there is no other way that to place it out in the yard like mine are with a buried wire.
Would they flip out if they came out and saw the dishes in my backyard?

How would they deal with this? I suppose they would have to plant a pole for their dish. I would make sure the wire is there, I don't trust anyone else to monkey with my stuff. I pulled the old wires out and put new wires in last year, or maybe the year before, I don't remember. There's a pipe buried they all run through. I used RG6 quad shield wires for everything and would run another one of those for them to connect to.

As for in the house, this again is another place I'm not sure I would want a stranger monkeying with my existing stuff.

The more I think about it, the more I begin to think I should install it all myself. By golly if I can set up and FTA I don't see why I can't set up a Pizza system!

Will they let you install it yourself?

Attachments

• IMG_0220b.resized.JPG
    IMG_0220b.resized.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 128
Yea! Too bad about History FTA. I hope it does come back. Love them "pickers"....What kind of external hard drive do you use on the Dish 211K to turn it into a dvr? I have Welcome pak...with a 311, but have been looking at the 211k with external hard drive to record the History ch. when I use Dish. I don't need but about 250-500gb, Don't expect to do a whole lot of recording. Any recomendations for a drive that will work with this receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)