History Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Could do the pick 10 alacarte option with the hits 2 home service (h2h) provided by program center. 14/mo for big dish service get hist. International too and other good networks. Just another idea. DSR 410 Programming Packages

Edit: OH pick 10 is 21.99 sorry. Still some nice channels to pick from with just the ones you want no fluff.
Now how does this work? Do you need a tuner from them?

Yes. You will need a DSR 410 receiver. I'm not up to speed on the Hits system so others will have to fill in the blanks on what and where the best place to acquire receivers are.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well after hours and hours of angst over which option to choose, I went with Amazon to watch American Pickers. I took the $2.99 HD option.
HD? Really?

I have a brand new 23' LED LCD screen on my desk where I watch pretty much everything and it's hooked up on the HDMI and runs 1080p mode.

Amazon, when I made the purchase told me that it would cut the picture quality down from HD if it THOUGHT I was having connection problems.
I have TWC Road Runner and it's pretty darned fast. Like 10 or 12 megabytes a second or however that goes. I can't keep it straight that MB, Mb, mbs, mb/s, kbits stuff.. :confused:
It's FAST.. Plenty fast. I was already prepared to get MAD if they choked it down while I was watching!

So I did all the clicking and agree here stuff and my show came on.

HD? Not so much.. It told me that it was running it at 2500 kbits and 720p.. It also said "Connection speed: HD" Oh really? Since when did HD become a connection speed? :rolleyes:

It also appeared to be from an interlaced source. I believe that has to do with old school picture tube stuff and shouldn't be used in an environment where it's all digital and LCD/LED displays.
So there was a lot of this severe "rippling" effect when the camera would pan, that was annoying but wasn't a real deal breaker. I would have expected better though.
The bonus was that it filled my entire screen! The picture was reasonable decent, all things considered. On shots where the camera was still for a few seconds (rare) it looked pretty good.

It didn't even come close to comparing in quality to a PBS HD broadcast but it was somewhat better than what I've ever seen before for anything from or on the History channel.

I ended up choosing Amazon over iTunes because I absolutely DESPISE iTunes with every fiber of my being. I hate that application with all my heart and soul.
iTunes is the worst, most ill behaved POS app to ever exist. I love Apple products, I hate frickin iTunes. I have nothing good to say about iTunes. Every time I have to use it, it puts me in a FOUL mood.
iTunes is confusing to use and it wipes out photos and data on your iPhone. iTunes erased irreplaceable photos of my deceased best friend from my iPhone that are now gone forever and I'll never forgive Apple for that.

I wish someone would come up with an app to directly replace iTunes. And I mean for the purpose of connecting too and interacting with your iPhone. Backing it up, managing files, putting music, photos, videos, etc too and from it..
Anyway, I'm off topic so I'll stop my hatefest on iTunes now.

At least I got to watch American Pickers. :)

I'm going to take my time and research all the options to subscription TV I guess.
Netflix is not an option. What a joke that is. Boooo....
Amazon / iTunes: You can get current episodes of shows but it's expensive.
Cable: POOR quality.
Dishnet: The 211k tuner sound good. I want HD and I want to record. No contract sounds good too.
Directv: Too much sports, requires contract. No deal.
H2H: Don't know anything about it just yet. Still looking into it.

Chances that I'll make a decision on anything in the next three months? Slim to none.

Attachments

• 2012-01-03_210609.jpg
    2012-01-03_210609.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 91
I'm going to take my time and research all the options to subscription TV I guess.
Netflix is not an option. What a joke that is. Boooo....
Amazon / iTunes: You can get current episodes of shows but it's expensive.
Cable: POOR quality.
Dishnet: The 211k tuner sound good. I want HD and I want to record. No contract sounds good too.
Directv: Too much sports, requires contract. No deal.
H2H: Don't know anything about it just yet. Still looking into it.

Chances that I'll make a decision on anything in the next three months? Slim to none.

There is yet another option, Canadian TV. Some members here have it, maybe they can comment about it. I don't have it, thought about getting it . Just another option...

Canadian Satellite Services

Well Dish Network is off the options list. They do a credit check. I don't do credit. At all.
My credit score is ZERO and I want it to remain at ZERO forever. I don't and won't borrow money.
I have no loans, I owe no money, I have no credit cards and refuse to ever have one. EVERYTHING I own is paid in full.
I pay with green cash or debit card only. If I can't pay for it in full then I do without until I can.

Dish also appears to be in bed with the DEVIL, AT&T.
It also appears they REQUIRE you to pay for a "professional" installation. Self install is not an option.
I can't just purchase a tuner and a dish and set them up myself. I think by now I am fully capable and qualified to set up a puny little pizza dish.
I don't want to pay for a "professional" installation anyway. I want it installed MY way, the way I say and with better wires than they would provide.
They also require a 2 year contract.

Their website is SNAKEY and SLIMY. You can't get to a point where you can see the details of the contract without first providing them with all your personal information.
I read also that they use your SS# as your account number. NOPE.......

I'll never find a service I can live with because they are all scumbag profiteering corporations. :mad:

Yes. You will need a DSR 410 receiver. I'm not up to speed on the Hits system so others will have to fill in the blanks on what and where the best place to acquire receivers are.

The receivers that work for HITS are the GI/Motorola DSR410; DSR905; DSR920 or the DSR922. The 920 and 922 can move the dish and the other 2 cannot. The 410 can only be set up for the HITS channels on W5 and the others can get other things on other sats. The 905 "moves" the dish by being piggybacked onto a C band receiver and that is why it is also called a sidecar. The 920 and 922 can be upgraded for a fee (And sent away) to act like a easier to use commercial receiver (With a remote!) and receive channels that are ITC. The best place to find the receivers is Ebay or they show up at local thrift stores usually at bargain prices. My last 920 receiver I picked up at the thrift store for $12.50! If you pay for a full year of HITS service with either SRL or Skyvision the monthly price works out to $18.83 per month. They also offer a couple of packages and also offer adult TV services if you are into that. One more great thing is that there are NO rain fade issues with HITS on C band!!!... :D

Well Dish Network is off the options list. They do a credit check. I don't do credit. At all.
My credit score is ZERO and I want it to remain at ZERO forever. I don't and won't borrow money.
I have no loans, I owe no money, I have no credit cards and refuse to ever have one. EVERYTHING I own is paid in full.
I pay with green cash or debit card only. If I can't pay for it in full then I do without until I can.

It also appears they REQUIRE you to pay for a "professional" installation. Self install is not an option.
I can't just purchase a tuner and a dish and set them up myself. I think by now I am fully capable and qualified to set up a puny little pizza dish.
I don't want to pay for a "professional" installation anyway. I want it installed MY way, the way I say and with better wires than they would provide.

Their website is SNAKEY and SLIMY. You can't get to a point where you can see the details of the contract without first providing them with all your personal information.

I'll never find a service I can live with because they are all scumbag profiteering corporations. :mad:

I smell pizza burning!!!... :eek:

dee ann, i am with dish and have never had a credit card or debit card. just do cash and money orders. when i was first with dish, i had to buy to receiver and the two year contract. after we went to direct tv, didn't like it so went to cable. cable at that time was only 30 channels for as much as dish was to we went back to dish 100. mary wanted movies so we went to the 250 channels, still without having the credit card. but i do pay the bills as soon as i receive them. last year we got the vip222 so we had two separate outputs and hd on one of them. finally yesterday, we went back to family dish with phone and internet. supposedly i will get that for mid 70's a month. still no contract or credit card. once you have your equipment you are on a cash basis as far as i can determine. i do know they verify who i am by the last 4 digits of my ss cards. or they have a secret question also. i have been satisfied with dish over direct and cable to talk to and get things done. hope that helps you. charlie

Pardon my crankiness. I've been deathly ill for the last week, I feel awful and my nerves are frayed. I'm ultra cranky with a giant B word thrown on top.

I'm tired. I'll shut up and go to sleep for now. Maybe I'll be in a better mood later.

TTFN.

PM one of the DIRT members here at Satguys. If you don't hangout in the Dish forums, they are special DISH employees that hang out here and other websites and help members daily. Matt and Zach have helped me several times on replacing defective equipment and such. Go to the main forums page and look at the bottom of the page for members online, the DIRT members are in red. They can give you better info and get you set up if you choose Dish. They helped Iceberg set up his account with the 211 and Welcome package too

Is the transponder dead now for anyone else? I was fighting with my motor this morning for an unrelated problem, but everything else is coming in at the same strength as before.

PM one of the DIRT members here at Satguys. If you don't hangout in the Dish forums, they are special DISH employees that hang out here and other websites and help members daily. Matt and Zach have helped me several times on replacing defective equipment and such. Go to the main forums page and look at the bottom of the page for members online, the DIRT members are in red. They can give you better info and get you set up if you choose Dish. They helped Iceberg set up his account with the 211 and Welcome package too

Thank you, I'll give this serious consideration.

I think what I should do is purchase the equipment from a third party so that I own everything outright and paid in full. I install it the way I want it installed and where I want it installed then I *think* I can subscribe without the credit check.
I think, and I'll use *think* here a lot, I think that the credit check stuff is about they want to make sure they can STICK YOU for a few grand, supposedly for the equipment that you lease from them in case you welch out before the two year contract is up. Apparently first time customers have to sign up for a two year contract which will pay for the equipment. After that I think they consider it paid for. Maybe if you moved into a house or apartment where someone left behind all the equipment intact you might not have to do the contract. I don't know for sure, I'm just speculating from what I've found through google.

So I guess maybe I should join the dish forums here and learn what equipment I need to outright purchase such as the dish, lnb, tuner, etc.. It seems the general consensus is that the 211k tuner would be the one to get, it does HD and records to an external disk. I'm guessing you can transfer the recordings to another disk so you can keep them. Google suggests I can buy one for $120... I just don't know what kind of dish/LNB to get. I strongly suspect that my FTA dishes are not compatible. I would also prefer the largest dish I can get to avoid rain fade. But being we are in a severe drought expected to last the rest of this decade, rain shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I guess I should avoid knee jerk reactions and go into this slowly, if at all..

Oh and yeah, I was cranky the last few days. I still am today but I'll keep it on this side of the screen. My B filter is on now.. :eek:

Is the transponder dead now for anyone else? I was fighting with my motor this morning for an unrelated problem, but everything else is coming in at the same strength as before.

Yep.. It's dead Jim.. (I got to throw in some Dr. McCoy humor today!)

Last night when I tried to tune the channel in it totally crashed MyTheater. It was giving a bunch of boxes on screen that said something overflowed and it died. I had to control alt delete to kill the app.

You can buy a 211k from Claude at the Dishstore one of the sponsors at the top of the page. I've bought one from him previously and I have also bought one from Amazon. You can use your FTA dishes with some Dish Lnb's and switches, otherwise you need a Dish 1000.2 dish to get all three sats on a single dish or you can use 3 smaller Dishes run into a switch too

Make sure the receivers you buy are new, if they have been previously leased and still have a balance owed on them by the previous user, then Dish will not be able to activate them for you.

You can buy a 211k from Claude at the Dishstore one of the sponsors at the top of the page. I've bought one from him previously and I have also bought one from Amazon. You can use your FTA dishes with some Dish Lnb's and switches, otherwise you need a Dish 1000.2 dish to get all three sats on a single dish or you can use 3 smaller Dishes run into a switch too

Make sure the receivers you buy are new, if they have been previously leased and still have a balance owed on them by the previous user, then Dish will not be able to activate them for you.

Excellent info, thank you! :)

There is a glimmer of hope!

Hotel Networks has reappeared at 12123 H 4650 symbol rate. Only NHK and RT are there but the audio is ITC. This transponder seems to be quite a bit stronger than the old one.

EDIT: Might be 12125 as BVN blind scans in 2 points lower than actual on my box.

Last edited:
somebody said they could get the audio on the powervu channels with an old receiver,I tried with a coolsat last night and the quality on the original tp was bouncing around.Only audio on 2 channels like newer receivers.I am doing a blindscan now with my s10.

There is a glimmer of hope!

Hotel Networks has reappeared at 12123 H 4650 symbol rate. Only NHK and RT are there but the audio is ITC. This transponder seems to be quite a bit stronger than the old one.

They will have to add a couple more transponders, certainly can't put many more channels on with that SR.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts