History Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the s10 still shows the 3 icons at the bottom right on the screen,unlike the enc12 test channel.
Last remnants of the signal I guess.

This blows... :mad:

I know I am actually considering 4DTV so that I can get History with out paying a big bunch to someone for a load of channels I never watch.

I know I am actually considering 4DTV so that I can get History with out paying a big bunch to someone for a load of channels I never watch.

I was looking forward to another Danielle goes picking episode tomorrow night!

There's only about 2-3 shows I bother to watch on there anymore, 98% of it is poopola. There's a few shows that moved to H2 that I really, really miss though.
I hate to confess this but I'm kinda sorta considering going to cable. The problem is, I despise TWC. Their picture quality is c**p.
It looks like they are playing back 1980's VHS tapes and sending the signal over barbed wire fences.

I don't really want a pizza dish, those are cheesy and I don't think they would hook into my home theater pc. I've read the cable company will but then you're back to VHS and barbed wire quality..

I want to record shows in HD but I guess no one will allow you to do that these days with all that DRM stuff... :mad:

Oh well.. I'll just sit here and curse in the dark until the last channel goes black. :mad:

**ring ring**

**ring ring**

**ring ring**

Hello?

Dee, this is your dad.

Yes Dad, I know, I have caller ID..

Is your History Channel gone?

Yes Dad.. They scrambled it. It's gone..

&&#*&^%:censored:(*%^($&^T)(*&)^:censored:(%*$^$&^%&*^$%&$(*&(*&#$*(*(^#$:censored:

Dee,

I know it is blasphemy to some, but if it doesn't come back and your thinking about cable, History is in the Welcome pack with Dish for 15.00 a month. Welcome pack is SD not HD but it is pretty good value for $15 a month.

Find a used 311 or newer receiver and you wouldn't be under contract to Dish then or get a 211 HD receiver and pay Dish a one time $40 activation fee for the software and add an external hard drive to it and the 211 becomes a dvr. .

DISH Network Satellite TV Packages - DISH Network

edit:

You can also stream episodes on History.com. I don't when they add the most recent episodes.
American Pickers — History.com Videos

Dee,

I know it is blasphemy to some, but if it doesn't come back and your thinking about cable, History is in the Welcome pack with Dish for 15.00 a month. Welcome pack is SD not HD but it is pretty good value for $15 a month.

Find a used 311 or newer receiver and you wouldn't be under contract to Dish then or get a 211 HD receiver and pay Dish a one time $40 activation fee for the software and add an external hard drive to it and the 211 becomes a dvr. .

DISH Network Satellite TV Packages - DISH Network

I will consider this, thank you.. I can afford the bill but I would rather that I keep my money
The thing that really gets me is that you have to subsidize a ton of c**p channels that you'll NEVER watch and many of them I object to their very existence.
I just want a small, select handful of channels, in HD. Most of them, I do not want, at all..

It's like you're starving to death but the only food for sale is just slightly contaminated with poop. It's ok, you can eat it if you pick around the poop. And they still get your money.
I guess I'm just a cheap b:censored:h...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Pack is actually a good deal. It has some channels that are in the higher packages on Dish yet is 14.99
your locals are included (as DIsh carries all markets now) and if you have a HD receiver they are in HD in most cases

I mean TBS, HGTV, History, Food, MSNBC. Yeah a bunch of religious/shopping channels are included but hey thats what favorite lists are for (to block them out)
And when Dish has a freeview you get that too. Right now I have Style, Hallmark MOvie, Great American Country and a couple others right now

Its one of the best bargains out there

Ok, this is the ijjit question of the day. How does one record TV shows on those DBS tuners to keep? VHS is dead and gone, thankfully.
Recording on my PC is as simple as pressing the red button. And I can keep it forever if I want. Do they make a recorder to plug into a DBS tuner OR, can you plug a DBS tuner into your PC and record shows that way?

Forgive me my ignorance, I've never had one so I do not know how they work.

Thanks! :)

You can plug the receiver's output into a PC setup. I know of a few folks who do that
I have a stand alone DVD recorder I can record stuff that I feel I want to keep.
Folks have bought old tivo's with lifetime service on it and recorded to that

But on my Dish receiver I have a hard drive hooked up to the 211 to record shows to. I dont believe in the PC thing

Ok, this is the ijjit question of the day. How does one record TV shows on those DBS tuners to keep? VHS is dead and gone, thankfully.
Recording on my PC is as simple as pressing the red button. And I can keep it forever if I want. Do they make a recorder to plug into a DBS tuner OR, can you plug a DBS tuner into your PC and record shows that way?

Forgive me my ignorance, I've never had one so I do not know how they work.

Thanks! :)

If you want to keep them once you give up the DBS service then you will need a dvd recorder or one of these Hauppauge recorders. With the Hauppauge you can record in real time what you have recorded on the cable or sat dvr onto your own hard drive to keep.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/recording-playback-equipment/160596-hauppauge-dvr.html

If you want to keep them once you give up the DBS service then you will need a dvd recorder or one of these Hauppauge recorders. With the Hauppauge you can record in real time what you have recorded on the cable or sat dvr onto your own hard drive to keep.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/recording-playback-equipment/160596-hauppauge-dvr.html

Hmmm.. Ok, thank you.. I'll do some homework on this I suppose.

I fear that sooner or later it will all be gone and I'll have to give in and subscribe to something or the other.

After almost a year I finally fixed the broken media player on the windows and now I can watch Whitesprings. But I can't control it via remote so that isn't the most elegant situation.
I joined Amazon.com Prime last month and it says I can watch stuff for free now but I'm skeptical. It looks like the HD content is still $$ but the poor grade SD stuff is mostly free.
I don't really understand how it all works just yet, I've been too sick to sit and read through all the buzz word help files. I don't think my WDTV box is compatible with Amazon Prime so maybe I'll see about buying one that is.
I'm thinking maybe I should buy a Fancy Nancy Blue ray player that was internet and does Amazon. I don't own a Blue Ray yet so maybe it's time. I don't know anything about them except that there is some new thing the studios are doing now to movies that won't let you watch a movie unless your player is on the internet. Violet something. I suspect you'll be plied with commercials in the process and massive invasions of your privacy. I think I want an older player without that all that new, intrusive stuff. Maybe a re-certified older model. I dunno..

I guess this year I'll be shopping for new things. I'll be buying a few new TV's, I want a very large screen for my bedroom, move the one in there now to the living room and buy a medium sized one for the kitchen.
That HDMI 1 to 4 box works great! I replaced the clunky old PC screen on my desk with a 23" LED LCD and it's on the HDMI with the 32" Vizio in my bedroom. Now everything works in harmony and no more playing clicky games with the audio source and all that nonsense when I go from one room to the other. This gadget will let me add two more screen and they will all play nice with everything else. I'm extremely pleased with how that worked out because I had been extremely annoyed by it all after my ex came in and rewired everything a few years ago. Nothing has worked right since. I'm certain he did it just to p:censored:s me off.. A revenge thing... That's ok. It took me two+ years but ~I~ fixed it! HA!!

I'm afraid that most of the good stuff will go away. It always does. PBS will be around a few more years but I predict the MeTV will be the next one to go black on us. And that's gonna really, really hurt because I really, really like this channel a lot..

Ok, so that all said, what is the best service to subscribe to, Direct or Dish? I get ads for both in the mail every week, both promise you the world on a silver platter.

Thanks guys! :)

None of the WDTV boxes will do Amazon yet. I don't know about the older Live + you have, but the 2 newest WDTV's the Live Hub and the Live (SMP) both have lots of internet streaming services now. I have a Hulu Plus sub free for 6 months when I changed ISP's last month that I have used a little on both of my WDTV's. I both of the 2 newest versions of the WDTV's.

I have had both of the DBS services. I had both at the same time for about 6 years and have been Dish only for the last 5 or so years. I prefer Dish, they have more variety in terms of the packages available. The Dish America packages are HD only, the welcome package is a good entry package for the money. With Dish you can buy a receiver yourself and not be under contract, with Directv you are going to be under contract. Dish has more of the mainstream channels in HD and Directv has more sports channels in HD.

None of the WDTV boxes will do Amazon yet. I don't know about the older Live + you have, but the 2 newest WDTV's the Live Hub and the Live (SMP) both have lots of internet streaming services now. I have a Hulu Plus sub free for 6 months when I changed ISP's last month that I have used a little on both of my WDTV's. I both of the 2 newest versions of the WDTV's.

I have had both of the DBS services. I had both at the same time for about 6 years and have been Dish only for the last 5 or so years. I prefer Dish, they have more variety in terms of the packages available. The Dish America packages are HD only, the welcome package is a good entry package for the money. With Dish you can buy a receiver yourself and not be under contract, with Directv you are going to be under contract. Dish has more of the mainstream channels in HD and Directv has more sports channels in HD.

PERFECT!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what I was wanting to find out but didn't quite know what I was looking for. HD all the way...... I am hooked on HD. I have new screens and will be getting more and it's good stuff.
I wish SD would die off already... I know old stuff can't really be converted unless it was shot in wide screen then cropped for SD TV and they still have the originals on archive but that's not likely except for movies.
Old TV shows, nope.. I can live with that. I watch MeTV with the black bars and it's no big deal. I'm just glad to have it at all. :D

Sports, not happening in my house. Dish Net sounds like what I should go with. I'm not committing to it just yet though. I need to do a lot more research on it and figure out what channels I want and how much it will cost me then I have to figure out which tuner to get that picks up the HD and will let me record and keep everything. I don't want one where they wipe the disk if you forget to pay your bill and you lose months of shows. That would make me very unhappy.
I want to record and keep shows so I can play them back 10 year from now when they've long ago thrown them all away. There's old TV shows I like that are 50 years old. I'll bet my generation is the last one that will ever care to watch those old shows.
Everything is being replaced with toothless shrimpers and Housewifes of _______..... :(

HD DVR

I was looking forward to another Danielle goes picking episode tomorrow night!

There's only about 2-3 shows I bother to watch on there anymore, 98% of it is poopola. There's a few shows that moved to H2 that I really, really miss though.
I hate to confess this but I'm kinda sorta considering going to cable. The problem is, I despise TWC. Their picture quality is c**p.
It looks like they are playing back 1980's VHS tapes and sending the signal over barbed wire fences.

I don't really want a pizza dish, those are cheesy and I don't think they would hook into my home theater pc. I've read the cable company will but then you're back to VHS and barbed wire quality..

I want to record shows in HD but I guess no one will allow you to do that these days with all that DRM stuff... :mad:

Oh well.. I'll just sit here and curse in the dark until the last channel goes black. :mad:
You don't need it hooked to the HT PC as Dish & Directv both have HD DVR's to record the shows. As OSU and Ice were taling about the 211 w/ an EHDD will be a DVR. It will give you 1 sat & 1 OTA tuner. I have Dish (E*) and been recording in HD for over 6 yrs now. BTW the dishes for both of the DBS providers are the size of FTA dishes as they have to pick up several sats. I have custom set up I put in myself that I put on the dish network tech forum section. 3 dishes. .9m .7 for the main birds and pizza one for the sat I don't use. Why am I here cause I play w/ FTA as well.
Come over and take a look at the other forums and forget THE WORSE CABLE company.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)