History Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont know why "you would blame Charlie" since it looks like Lodgenet is using a more economical way to transmit these. They're using Directv for the feeds. If you notice it said HD. Think about it. How much bandwidth would it cost per month for HotelNet to run 20 HD channels? I'm thinking tons of money

If I ran a hotel and I could find a more economical way to get my programming to the guests I'd do it.

no they went to Directv because they can provide the channels in HD. The 2 channels left (RT & NHK) are not on Directv
HD on Directv is on 99W or 103K Ka Band

In my opinion FTA is great for News, Sports feeds, and channels that are categorized as "esoteric".
The shows/movies that can be seen on regular cable and pizza dishes can be viewed by downloading the content. (using torrents/eztv etc etc.)
If you have lousy internet connectivity it maybe challenging, but for the majority of people it is certainly viable. And someone else removed the commercials for you :)

So next time you hate the fact you can't watch something that was broadcast on "History" just go to the archive.

Thanks putney for finding out what really happened. It's really surprising it lasted as long as it did, but I will miss 'some' of the stuff Hist had, but not those infernal repetitive commercials, lol. Most of it wasn't really about history anyway, except in the wildest stretch of imagination.

Thanks putney for finding out what really happened. It's really surprising it lasted as long as it did, but I will miss 'some' of the stuff Hist had, but not those infernal repetitive commercials, lol. Most of it wasn't really about history anyway, except in the wildest stretch of imagination.

I like American Pickers and American Restoration a lot. Pawn Stars, eh.. It's ok but that Corey dude makes me angry.
I hate with a burning passion that new show "Real Deal".. I would SLAP those scumbag dealers if I could get the chance. :mad:
The commercials? Buh bye!

I miss "The Universe" a lot but that's been gone for awhile.

My dad said that during the mornings they would run some better shows, Dad and I both liked that "Modern Marvels" but that was pulled from the nighttime lineup.
During the day I usually sleep late then watch local OTA ladies talk shows and court room shows so I never caught History in the mornings. It worked out good for Dad though.
He was pretty bummed out to lose it too. About all he finds on there to watch anymore is PBS. Dad doesn't watch sports either and he doesn't have C-band so his options are pretty slim now.
I think in the evenings he mostly reads books anyway.

I saw that THC is coming out with a few new shows I wanted to at least give a look-see, Pawn Stars Night Shift and Cajun Pawn Stars.
I guess I'll not be seeing those now..

I'm still trying to decide if I should cave in and add a pizza system. Sigh..... :(

and not to rub it in

Restoration and Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy new seasons start next week

and not to rub it in

Restoration and Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy new seasons start next week

AW MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

And you know what? At first I thought that Larry the Cable Guy was an immature tard but I watched a few episodes out of boredom and he kind of grows on you. Like a fungus.. ;)
I ended up liking his show after all... Dang it.......... :cry:

Yeah that show is pretty funny.

I liked that he was in Minnesota twice for the show....once at high school (in Bemidji) and once for the ice fishing and getting hauled out there on dog sled :)

Beginning to wonder if an investment in a DSR410 system would be practical now. I see skyvision still advertises the receivers and programming, but its unclear how up to date the pages are . One page says the receiver is 129, another page says 169 dollars. Is anybody still using those systems? I have plenty of spare dishes I could use, lol.

Interesting Hotel Net/Lodge Net decided to go with D*... I guess it makes sense for their business decisions... It's always "interesting" to see what your going to get when you stay in a hotel.. Most recent hotel visit I stayed in a Hilton in Boston and they had a mix of "locals (which came off a E* feed -- there was rain fade and I saw the happy "no signal" screen appear in place of the local HDs) -- they had a few "cable type" channels that appeared to be off the local cable plant (based on the content on the local inserts)..

In the past I stayed at a Motel 6 that had E* for some of their channels -- I could clearly see a set of 24" dishes pointed at 119 and 110 on the roof.. That hotel had a "range" of normal basic cable type channels + HBO.

back in 2001 I took a trip to lousianna and stayed at a Holiday Inn... They had a normal SD coax feed from the local cable company... Had 40 + channels of normal basic / standard cable fare that passed thru a small box so they could offer "In room Movies" on channel 3. (which in that town was a PEG type channel if I remember)..

I am very impressed with the work that Rick Dale does. I have a sincere appreciation of vintage stuff. I'm about the same age as Rick so a LOT of the things he restores, I have clear memories of.
I especially like the old Coke and other vending machines.

Since my mom passed away we uncovered her old bicycle her dad gave her in 1950 just before he passed away.. It's an old Hawthorne brand which was sold through Montgomery Wards back in the day.
Sadly, back in the late 60's or early 70's, I hijacked her bike and replaced the seat with what we used to call a banana seat and a "sissy bar". The original seat is long, long gone. :(

I want to restore Mom's bike back to factory new, like the day it came off the assembly line. My mom had long ago forbidden my dad from "restoring" it because he would have jacked it all up and ruined it forever.
Dad would do monkey shines like spray paint the handlebars and rims silver rather than re-chrome them properly.

He and I are arguing over this right now. He's wanting to restore it and I want him to keep his hands off of it.
There is a very good probability that I'll send Mom's bike to Rick's Restorations because it's extremely important to me that it's done RIGHT...
It will probably cost me a few grand but it's worth every penny to me.

As for being on TV, I do NOT want to be on TV. I just want my Mom's bike made new.
I called around locally and no one here will touch it. They only do cars and then only if it's to make one into a hot rod.
No one around here restores things back to factory new. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0021.resized.JPG
    IMG_0021.resized.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 104
I am very impressed with the work that Rick Dale does. I have a sincere appreciation of vintage stuff. I'm about the same age as Rick so a LOT of the things he restores, I have clear memories of.
I especially like the old Coke and other vending machines.

Since my mom passed away we uncovered her old bicycle her dad gave her in 1950 just before he passed away.. It's an old Hawthorne brand which was sold through Montgomery Wards back in the day.
Sadly, back in the late 60's or early 70's, I hijacked her bike and replaced the seat with what we used to call a banana seat and a "sissy bar". The original seat is long, long gone. :(

Back in the 70's my brother (The younger of two) took care of both our parents bikes aong with a couple of other ones from my other brother and sisters. We removed the fenders, reflectors, chain guards, baskets (sisters), turned seats around and did whatever to make a what we thought was cool looking. We then would smash the bikes up and leave some for dead piled up in what we called a demolition derby on bikes. There was a 50 by 50 foot garage which gave plenty of room for derbies plus protection from our parents normally watchful eyes! It was sad and only in the last 10 years that my dad asked if his bike was still in the garage... :(

Beginning to wonder if an investment in a DSR410 system would be practical now. I see skyvision still advertises the receivers and programming, but its unclear how up to date the pages are . One page says the receiver is 129, another page says 169 dollars. Is anybody still using those systems? I have plenty of spare dishes I could use, lol.

A lot of times those 410's are out of stock so you have to check with them on availabiity. I am going to be firing up my 4DTV again real soon but I will be using a 920 or a 922 receiver. These receivers can be cheaper and are easier to find than the 410 but they are a little bigger. I already have those receivers so that will make the misses happy that I am not running out and buying another receiver. That happiness may be short lived when the Geosat Pro microHD comes out soon! :D

Dee, As we are now going thru my folks 50 year collection of stuff, we are finding all kinds of stuff! Several bikes, old coolers from the 50's and 60's too. They literally kept everything. My baby shoes, cub scout uniform, and my graduation outfit from high school in 1977. It's interesting to go thru everything. I had a civil war era cuckoo clock that I gave to my grandma in about 1989. She gave it back to me...said the bird was too loud, but it never made it to my house...somehow ended up at mom and dads lost in the garage. I found it the other day! I oiled it and then hung it on the wall...runs good as new too. It was lost in the garage for over 20 years. I'm all for restoring stuff back to the original condition if possible...I enjoy watching any restoration show too....Blind

Back in the 70's my brother (The younger of two) took care of both our parents bikes aong with a couple of other ones from my other brother and sisters. We removed the fenders, reflectors, chain guards, baskets (sisters), turned seats around and did whatever to make a what we thought was cool looking. We then would smash the bikes up and leave some for dead piled up in what we called a demolition derby on bikes. There was a 50 by 50 foot garage which gave plenty of room for derbies plus protection from our parents normally watchful eyes! It was sad and only in the last 10 years that my dad asked if his bike was still in the garage... :(

OUCH! :(
I remember all the boys where I grew up would make ramps and would jump trash cans, other bikes and even other KIDS! They would smash bikes up like they were raining down free from heaven. I don't recall ever seeing a parent come outside to investigate. Children of the Corn?

Dee, As we are now going thru my folks 50 year collection of stuff, we are finding all kinds of stuff! Several bikes, old coolers from the 50's and 60's too. They literally kept everything. My baby shoes, cub scout uniform, and my graduation outfit from high school in 1977. It's interesting to go thru everything. I had a civil war era cuckoo clock that I gave to my grandma in about 1989. She gave it back to me...said the bird was too loud, but it never made it to my house...somehow ended up at mom and dads lost in the garage. I found it the other day! I oiled it and then hung it on the wall...runs good as new too. It was lost in the garage for over 20 years. I'm all for restoring stuff back to the original condition if possible...I enjoy watching any restoration show too....Blind

Some of the best stuff I inherited is Mom's old toys from when she was little. When I was little she used to let me play with her old Sears brand sheet metal doll house and Bakelite little people. UNDER SUPERVISION.... Thankfully!
So her childhood doll house is still 100% intact and in excellent condition. It's quite valuable too. I have fond memories of that doll house. Mom also collected a LOT of what ladies call "Miniatures" which is just a code word for very, very expensive, very high quality doll house stuff. This is also all coming to me now. I just bought a Canon 5D mkII so I'm going to have fun in macro land for a long time to come.. :)

I like collecting antique cameras and movie camera / projector stuff. I have a modest collection but over time it will grow. Dad just gave me a few items to add to my shelf and he has a lot of other really cool old cameras that he's keeping but I will eventually inherit. And Dad has a lot of guy things that he collects but I really have no interest in. I'll get him to show me the things he values the most, like childhood or family things and I'll restore & keep them when that time comes but a lot of it I'll end up giving to my son or selling it. Their stuff will go to my kids eventually. I just hope they will treasure these things as much as I do. :cry:

Eventually when my dad passes on and I move into their house it will more or less be a museum of their things and a few of my collected things. I don't really own a lot of stuff and am working on thinning down my junk.
But Mom and Dad? OMG...... They have tons and tons and tons of things...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts