HITS Package Prices Increased

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I remember when the ala carte channels were less than a dollar. I think the weather channel was 35 cents. But, of course minimum wage was like $3.35 Hr.

-they dont know any better that there are other options out there.

People pick what is best for their wants and what fits their budget. We "4DTV Kool-Aid drinkers" do know the other options out there like pizza and that is why we stick with HITS! Why pay for all of those extra pizza toppings if you do not watch them? TV channels are not supposed to disappear when it rains! Heck when I was a kid and it started raining we would go into the house and watch TV! Also look at all of the pizza people who pay just to get their "free" OTA channels when they could put up their own antenna! So just who don't know any better??? ;)

Heck some 4DTV'ers still buy parts from overpriced companies because "it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside"

What kind of parts might that be? :confused:
The only thing I can think of is that it is a good idea to change the battery every 8 to 10 years! Even Radio Shack is competitive on the battery and there is no shipping time or charges by getting them there. Radio Shack will be gone before my DSR922 bites the dust! :eek:
That warm and fuzzy inside feeling could be caused by the solder smoke while replacing the battery! :hippie:

People pick what is best for their wants and what fits their budget.
yep. Thats why some people do go with something else

We "4DTV Kool-Aid drinkers" do know the other options out there like pizza and that is why we stick with HITS!
funny how you use the word "kool-aid drinker"

Why pay for all of those extra pizza toppings if you do not watch them?
oh boy that's so funny. Haha lets call the extra channels "pizza toppings". Seriously Dan grow up.

TV channels are not supposed to disappear when it rains! Heck when I was a kid and it started raining we would go into the house and watch TV!
I turn on the TV and it works pretty much every time I turn it on.

Also look at all of the pizza people who pay just to get their "free" OTA channels when they could put up their own antenna! So just who don't know any better??? ;)
and what about those folks who can't get a good enough signal now with digital? hmmmm?

What kind of parts might that be? :confused:
LNB's, switches, cabling, polorotor wire. You know parts.

Side note...isn't it ironic that the ones who always seem to start the "4DTV vs DBS" arguments are the 4DTV'ers......

Side note...isn't it ironic that the ones who always seem to start the "4DTV vs DBS" arguments are the 4DTV'ers......

If you are referring to me, I am only responding to the post you did when you answered highskies. I have a question on that point and I also responded with why I like 4DTV (HITS). ;)

looks like TVLand

From that chart in late 09
• MTV 2 • Nick Toons • VH-1 Country
• MTV Hits • Noggin • VH-1 Soul
• Nick Games & Sports • TV Land • VH-1 Classic Rock

now its
MTV2
MTV Hits
TeenNick (I guess was Nick GAS)
NickToons
Nick Jr (was part of Noggin)
CMT Pure (was VH1 country)
VH1 Soul
VH1 Classic

Thanks.... that's fine. I get it for the music channels. :)

I have had a sub to HITS going on 3 years now and have been happy with the service. Picture quality is good for SD, I get no rain fade ever. But, If they continue to raise the cost and remove channels I too will start looking at other providers. I keep hanging on hopeing they will improve programing. Well see.....................

I have had a sub to HITS going on 3 years now and have been happy with the service. Picture quality is good for SD, I get no rain fade ever. But, If they continue to raise the cost and remove channels I too will start looking at other providers.

With the lost of Fox News audio on 101W this year I started checking into other options and asking some questions about the Welcome Package and it came down that in my case it was not a good option, I could get 4 channel on Dish that I like and 8 on the Hits Pick 10 and still pick 2 more on the Ala Carte so Hits to me was the better deal. And with FTA I can get some of the other channels and not pay for them. But, what really killed Dish for me was that I had to get locals with the package and I wasn't going to spend money for something that I can already get.
And when it comes down to price increases it doesn't matter what service your getting as they'll just past the cost down and we get it in the end!

I have had a sub to HITS going on 3 years now and have been happy with the service. Picture quality is good for SD, I get no rain fade ever. But, If they continue to raise the cost and remove channels I too will start looking at other providers. I keep hanging on hopeing they will improve programing. Well see.....................

Just for the record, I don't sub to anything. The only thing in my yard that remotely resembles a pizza dish is my 31" offset dish. In the past tho, I was a big time supporter of 4dtv programming. But that was when you could sub to all of the masters. My problem with HITS is not PQ or anything, since the PQ is fairly good overall, from what I recall, but my problem is with it's selection of choices. I hadn't even thought about HITS for months now, not until this thread got started. That's when I decided to look at SRL's site again, but was only reminded about how poor of a selection they offer, thus wondering what anybody actually sees in this service these days. I wasn't trying to get a war started over 4dtv vs dbs tho, wasn't my intentions.

After reading the posts in this thread thus far, I sometimes feel kind of bad for Iceburg, even tho I realize he's a big boy and can stand up for himself. I simply think some of you are misunderstanding him. I see him as a stand up guy who simply tells it the way it is. Some just don't like that in a person, especially if that person favors dbs over 4dtv programming. I myself respect someone like that, someone that tells it like it is, speaking in general, not to mention how helpful he is about things all the time. I don't know what all the fuss is about tho. This board has a forum entirely devoted to fta and C Band. And just because some in here don't care to support 4dtv programming anymore, and the fact that they now have dbs instead, that doesn't necessarily imply that they are bashing 4dtv programming. It just means they see little or no value in it today, as neither do I, and I don't even have a pizza dish.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone. I agree the value is not good, thats why Im looking around for something else. I really want HD but monthy cost is high. Trying to find out who has the best picture of the providers in my area. Maybe Ice could help me there?

One other option is streaming from Netflix or whomever....... [sidebar] Too bad the streaming doesn't work outside of the U.S.

Last edited:
Right now I'm deciding if I should readjust my 6' stationary dish from AMC 18 (HITS) to Galaxy 16 for ITC stations, especially if I'm not currently subscribing to any HITS programming and the prices continue to go up.

I agree with Ice in that Dish's "Welcome Package" is a great deal and with it I also get local and preview channels in HD, a modern receiver with UHF remote control for a second room and pay less than $20 a month with DVR service all of which HITS doesn't offer.

On the other hand I also enjoy having HITS for the reasons I stated before.

I'm wondering if I could possibly add a C band LNBF to my 6' dish to gain access to both AMC 18 and Galaxy 16 since they are located 6 degrees apart? If I remember correctly from my past experiments two C band LNBF's side by side with scaler rings receive satellites spaced 8 degrees apart, so I might need to remove or cut one of the scaler rings in order for this to work correctly. If successful, I could then subscribe to the HITS MTV package and have the best of all worlds.

As a former HITS subscriber, the lack of what I consider basic core channels such as the main Discovery Channel, Comedy Central, Nick, TBS, TV Land, Cartoon Network were the deciding point for me to switch.

On the plus side HITS has E-W feeds of History, HGTV and the Encore Channels. Also it has channels normally only available in higher tier packages available elsewhere in alacarte or Pick 10

My negatives were, the guide is pretty frustrating when it is continually 30 minutes slow and reverts to the channel at the top of the grid if it's loaded at all.

No HD.

The expected responses about other satellite providers...

All this talk about rain fade, ...really?

Contracts? Wrong again, I don't have one. No SS# given either.

One thing I will admit that is that the ease of availability of my Dish programming has reduced my FTA scanning just looking for a glimpse of a channel left in the open for a while. If I have a sub to whatever it is, it kind of takes the fun out of finding it somewhere else. My C band here will remain in service just for whatever niche programming that is not mainstream.

I get 1 channel ( FOX ) OTA and it's free & probably the clearest HD picture of all.
I also get FTA with the big dish but not very many choices there either but that's my choice.

I remember my rent was $190.00/mo.
Phone bill was $20.00/mo ( As opposed to today's phone bill including cell phone & internet)
A case of beer was $6.99.
A pack of smokes was $1.99
A gallon of gas was .$89/gallon. $15.00 to fill up. $70.00 to fill up now.
A glass of water was free.
You could eat out for less than $10.00 for two.
A postage stamp was .13 cents
Cable TV was $14.95/mo.
Satellite programming in the early 90's was $19.98/mo & you received so many "better" channels like USA, TNT, TBS etc, WGN, Discovery, but it would appear those days are gone.

In the 50's, there were only a couple of TV stations available in any household that was lucky enough to have a TV & those programs were in SD black & white. You would have kids so as to have a remote control.

Color TV came out in the 60's to give you a more enjoyable TV experience.

In the 70's, if you were lucky enough to have cable in your area, you could have a few stations that were crisp & clear compared to the wiggly ghostly picture everybody was used to. Plus one station had a view of a fireplace. Instant on TV's became popular.

In the 80's, VCR's & laser disks came out and you were able to watch movies at home at your convenience. Cable was becoming better & clearer with more & more channels & choices to choose from. TV's & cable systems with remote controls were making a big splash. C-Band came into play opening up an entire new world & career opportunities.

In the 90's, having that huge 10 foot dish in your yard gave you a high status mark in the neighbor hood & neighbors were in aw as they looked at the behemoth tool that could get 1000's of TV & radio stations. Only the rich & dedicated could afford such a thing. Then in the mid 90's, the little dish came along. At first, as I remember, if the weather man said the word "rain", the picture would fade. These early dishes were garbage & had limited capabilities, but were cheaper & easier to install & maintain. C-Band tried to compete with 4DTV, a solid & proven system but had severe limited capabilities.

As the new century started, 4DTV was trying to compete against this little dish. To get a 4DTV system, you needed to spend 1,000's of dollars, struggle by trial & error to figure what azimuths & angles you needed, becoming overwhelmed by all the parts & all the work. Or pay tons of money to have a professional do it for you. The small dish only cost 100's & was easy to install. You could have multiple receivers with the small dish. 4DTV, you were kind of stuck watching 1 station at a time. Stations began abandoning the 4DTV system in favor of new technology. It doesn't matter to them about picture quality because most people will sacrifice a little picture quality in favor of simplicity & convenience.
Now a days, the small dish is installed for you. VCR's are history and are replaced by PVR's. Why didn't Motorola do that?

How could 4DTV compete with the small dish? The big 10 foot satellite dish sitting in your backyard is no longer a status symbol but more of a shameful eyesore.

Some would say what's on the back of your truck is an eyesore, so I don't put too much stock in that kind of thing. The BUD is not a status symbol, but some of these guy's farms sure make their place look interesting.

We now return you to your regular programming. This has been a test of the BUD defense network. This was only a test.

It appears Dish has gone up roughly 25-35 percent in eight years. I wonder if SRL can top it?;)

According to the figures that Ice posted earlier, they have went up as much or more in one year than Dish did in 8.

Discovery Pack 75% increase
MTV 19% increase
Super Pack 25% increase
Pick 10 35% increase
Family Pack 40% increase

I really can't see the programming growing much with an increase like that. I am sure that the small number of subsribers played no small part in the huge (percentage wise) increase.

Some would say what's on the back of your truck is an eyesore, so I don't put too much stock in that kind of thing. The BUD is not a status symbol, but some of these guy's farms sure make their place look interesting.

We now return you to your regular programming. This has been a test of the BUD defense network. This was only a test.

My brother told me I should put up a high fence topped with barbwire and some signs that reads armed guard/mine field just to keep the neighbors guessing.

That eyesore made me some pocket money though. And my BUD still sits proudly in my side yard and is still my primary entertainment source. Probably for many years to come.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts