Hmmm... Super Powers

I wonder if LG worked out some sort of exclusivity for some period of time, since they seem to be the only one ever mentioned in conjunction with the Virtual Joey.
That would be silly of Dish to do.... What benefit would Dish gain by doing that as well ?

I've always wondered, who writes the apps for the various devices ? I can't imagine that Netflix, for example, has to create an app for Samsung BD players, ROKU boxes, LG TVs, etc, etc, etc... Same with HULU and other apps. I'm guessing that the manufacturer, in this case LG, creates the app (for their TV) - obviously with some sort of SDK from Dish. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see how many manufacturers get on board.

That would be silly of Dish to do.... What benefit would Dish gain by doing that as well ?

I've always wondered, who writes the apps for the various devices ? I can't imagine that Netflix, for example, has to create an app for Samsung BD players, ROKU boxes, LG TVs, etc, etc, etc... Same with HULU and other apps. I'm guessing that the manufacturer, in this case LG, creates the app (for their TV) - obviously with some sort of SDK from Dish. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see how many manufacturers get on board.

Last year when I talked to the guy from Dish he said it would be available on any Smart TV as long as they carried the app for it. Didn't sound like anything exclusive to me but who knows.

Do tv companies that carry apps add apps. I just purchased a sharp with apps and was wondering if they do add future apps with software downloads or they just keep with what came originally with the tv (hopefully they add)

Do tv companies that carry apps add apps. I just purchased a sharp with apps and was wondering if they do add future apps with software downloads or they just keep with what came originally with the tv (hopefully they add)
They can certainly change - my Samsung BD player removed the BB app. On my Sony BD player, there are literally dozens of apps, many that I've never heard of (some are Sony's own). They could add or remove some of those and I'd never know it !

DirecTV also charges a monthly fee for their box-less client. Remember, the satellite providers fought tooth and nail to prevent "cable card" standards applying to them. STB's are probably big profit centers for them and they're not going to give away any money if they can help it. I bet the Virtual Joey will be $7 per month.

I for one would not pay the full $7 if I got no box. I gain nothing as I have MOCA and ethernet to all TV's anyway. I only have 1 Hopper connected by Ethernet, but could plug them all in if necessary. I would be interested for say $2 or $3, not $7.

I for one would not pay the full $7 if I got no box. I gain nothing as I have MOCA and ethernet to all TV's anyway. I only have 1 Hopper connected by Ethernet, but could plug them all in if necessary. I would be interested for say $2 or $3, not $7.

I wouldn't want to pay the same as a Joey since you do not physically have anything but I wouldn't be surprised if they did charge it. If you think about it, Dish isn't actually charging you for the box you have, it's not a lease fee. What Dish is charging you for is the access to their programming at another location in the home. So, according to that wording Dish could charge the same amount even though you wouldn't have any equipment there.

Just be hard to explain to someone. Box or no box, same price!

I agree, people want to physically have something for their money. If you think about it though, are you really gaining anything by having a box there? I think the reliability would be better with a Joey physically there but other than that it's the same.

Since when has that ever stopped them? :p

It would be ridiculous...therefore I halfway expect it to be the case. :haha
What will be funny is there will be people who go out and buy a new TV, an LG, of course, just to get this ! I think Dish will have to do the majority of leg-work (create the apps) on the various hardware (TVs, set-tops, etc) or else companies may not be interested.

So the Super Joey makes the 211 obsolete. But the 211 would still be cheaper. Wonder if they'll make the SJ work with the tailgater?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So the Super Joey makes the 211 obsolete. But the 211 would still be cheaper. Wonder if they'll make the SJ work with the tailgater?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I think the Super Joey has to be associated with the Hopper. It doesn't sound like a stand alone receiver...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)