Holy CRAP I am glad I didn't fall for the Hopper!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't expect DirecTV subs to understand the VIP series and Hopper's multi tuners, because DirecTV never had such technology. I don't have a hopper, but I do have a VIP 722k. The one receiver acts as two. The nice part is for us who lease our equipment is that we have one less receiver fee. There are many positives and negatives. But I must say that the positives outweigh the negatives.

I have 2 ViP722k's & one ViP211k. I also have a HR22-100,HR23-700,HR24-500,H24-700,& H25-500. All of my DIRECTV receivers are connected by DECA & whole home MRV. The BIG advantage of my DIRECTV set up is that I can integrate my HR22 & HR23 into the MRV set up with a DECA adapter on each of them(this ability is also why I currently don't feel the need to upgrade to a HR34 as I already have my 8 tuner max for SWM set up). You cannot integrate the ViP722k's or the ViP211k's into a HOPPER/JOEY set up. For people(like me) who heavily invested in ViP receivers & DVRs,that is a big turn off,especially for those who own RV's & would have to have 2 separate accounts of a HOPPER/JOEY set up for home & a ViP set up for the RV.

I don't expect DirecTV subs to understand the VIP series and Hopper's multi tuners, because DirecTV never had such technology.

seriously? I cant believe you wrote that
Its rather simple
Dish DVR in some cases has two tuners and two outputs. Some have one output
Directv DVR's have 2 tuners (HR34 excluded) and one output

The Kangaroo crap...One "brain" with 3 tuners.....Jr needs to grab a tuner from mother. Cant use existing equipment
Directv MRV setup...lets see. Can use existing equipment. If you get a separate receiver it has its own tuner so you dont need to rely on "mother"...5 tuners in the HR34 so you can record anything you want when you want.

Directv had whole home DVR out before Dish did.....

So yeah I guess we dont understand it :rolleyes:

For me its simple....5 tuners beats 3

with the Hopper you can used only turners in primetime right? why anyone want that? and with the HR34 you can use 5 turners at anytime right

The Hopper/Joey system is designed so that the same boxes can be used for modest TV needs, or combined for those who need more. A 2 Hopper system has 6 tuners, one of which can be used during prime time (PTAT) to capture 4 local HD network broadcasts (the whole spotbeam) to a different section of the hard drive, for a rolling 8 days. Any PTAT show can be saved to the user side. All 6 tuners are available during other hours, or all the time if PTAT is turned off. Joeys (clients without tuners) can see all tuners, recordings, and EHDs on both Hoppers - and set timers on both. Until Hopper integration software is implemented, a Joey or an extra Joey can be used for whole house viewing. The system was not designed for more than 6 TVs, but Dish is accomodating some customers with that need with 3 Hopper setups - Joeys can be used for communication where Hoppers aren't linked.

And, it's fast and it works. And EHDs (up to 4 at time to each Hopper) are linked to the account not the receiver.

I can live without those aformentioned channels in HD, they'll eventually come online when DTV finally gets off its rear an uses the other 2/3 of available capacity on that big HD satellite they have floating around up there...

What makes you think they have that much capacity going unused?

Iceberg said:
seriously? I cant believe you wrote that
Its rather simple
Dish DVR in some cases has two tuners and two outputs. Some have one output
Directv DVR's have 2 tuners (HR34 excluded) and one output

The Kangaroo crap...One "brain" with 3 tuners.....Jr needs to grab a tuner from mother. Cant use existing equipment
Directv MRV setup...lets see. Can use existing equipment. If you get a separate receiver it has its own tuner so you dont need to rely on "mother"...5 tuners in the HR34 so you can record anything you want when you want.

Directv had whole home DVR out before Dish did.....

So yeah I guess we dont understand it :rolleyes:

For me its simple....5 tuners beats 3

Lol, I agree with everything in post, exception for the last line. Users aren't limited to only one Hopper. Want more tuners, get a second or even a third.

What this thread shows, is that we all know what equipment works best for our personal usage patterns. Hopper and Joeys work great for some people, while others prefer the Direct setup. I'd imagine that even if the Hopper had 5 or 6 tuners some would complain about the Joeys having none. And I will grant that, if there's a breakdown in a Hopper, people will lose out on TV until a replacement arrives. But under normal operation, where the tuners exist (in the central box or on connected boxes) is irrelevant to users. It's strictly the number of tuners available for use in the system and how that squares with user needs.

The more I read these threads, the more I realize that both setups are solid and will sell well for the providers and that all the arguments back and forth here are more a pi$$ing contest between supporters of both sides, than anything else.

I don't expect DirecTV subs to understand the VIP series and Hopper's multi tuners, because DirecTV never had such technology. I don't have a hopper, but I do have a VIP 722k. The one receiver acts as two. The nice part is for us who lease our equipment is that we have one less receiver fee. There are many positives and negatives. But I must say that the positives outweigh the negatives.

What??? Dish network decided to go cheap and is stuck with the limitation that their solo and duo nodes create. The should have gone with a scalable system such as SWM.

You don't understand DirecTVs equipment as it is years ahead of the kangaroos.

What??? Dish network decided to go cheap and is stuck with the limitation that their solo and duo nodes create. The should have gone with a scalable system such as SWM.

You don't understand DirecTVs equipment as it is years ahead of the kangaroos.

Not ahead - different! Dish uses a different design concept and it works very well.

If you asked someone from entropic they would say the Dish nodes ate the "next generation" of the single wire multiswitch.

My thinking about the release of the hopper where they made a mistake was not the number of tuners but the fact that there is currently no seemless dual hopper support. But luckily that feature will be here shortly which makes all this silly argument pointless.

If you asked someone from entropic they would say the Dish nodes ate the "next generation" of the single wire multiswitch.

My thinking about the release of the hopper where they made a mistake was not the number of tuners but the fact that there is currently no seemless dual hopper support. But luckily that feature will be here shortly which makes all this silly argument pointless.

Looking at how they work explains the 3 tuner limitation. Its all about the node...not the kangaroo boxes. 3 polarities is all they could fit down the line after the moca network. In turn that costs them more in the wideband tuners and having to use three for 3 streams. They needed something fast and were probably didn't want a battle in getting sued over their own swm type technology.

My thinking about the release of the hopper where they made a mistake was not the number of tuners but the fact that there is currently no seamless dual hopper support. But luckily that feature will be here shortly which makes all this silly argument pointless.
So that is how they are going to control the population in the future. :eek: I wonder how they taste? :D

Ok guys, this thread was built for the war zone from the title on ... Iill leave it here for now but folks realize it's a Ford vs Chevy thing and each sub think what they have is the best, lets just agree to disagree and go from there. :)

Ok guys, this thread was built for the war zone from the title on ... Iill leave it here for now but folks realize it's a Ford vs Chevy thing and each sub think what they have is the best, lets just agree to disagree and go from there. :)
Dodge all of the way. :p

DAMN! Talk to retention and see what they can do.

No! I called, this is what i was told. I'm NOT going to jump through hoops to beg Directv to keep me or beg for a better price.
I know the person i talked to has their head up their a**, especially regarding the HR34 but that's Directv problem, they should make sure their CSR knows what they are talking about.
When i spoke to this person she made me feel like i was a king and then wanted to shove it up my a** for $515. NO thankyou.
As far as calling retention or this person or that person or email this person and so on. Why?
Directv should be begging ME to stay. If Directv doesn't want my $1300+ per year i'll give it to Dish.

Looking at how they work explains the 3 tuner limitation. Its all about the node...not the kangaroo boxes. 3 polarities is all they could fit down the line after the moca network. In turn that costs them more in the wideband tuners and having to use three for 3 streams. They needed something fast and were probably didn't want a battle in getting sued over their own swm type technology.

Actually this can still be solved by Dish, but of course will Dish ever solve the problem? Essentially a system with 2 duo nodes could support four hoppers (just requires a DPP44 and a DPP33 switch giving 7 drops), one would just then have to have a connection of the 2 moca networks and the magic software update (which may never appear) to allow the 4 hoppers to work together. The other question is if the MOCA connection has enough bandwidth to support all of this (1.0 has 175 Mbit so should be enough in theory).

Dish really needs a 6 tuner hopper (but it would require 2 cable drops, which probably more than anything stopped them from going with 6 vs 3) or a way to bridge together the MOCA on 2 nodes and have more than 2 hopper systems work together.

How much do they charge monthly if you get two hoppers? I was under the impression that adding multiple advanced boxes with Dish gets expensive very fast. I haven't subbed dish in a long time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

A few minor glitches

Need info to upgrade to HD antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)