Holy CRAP I am glad I didn't fall for the Hopper!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How much do they charge monthly if you get two hoppers? I was under the impression that adding multiple advanced boxes with Dish gets expensive very fast. I haven't subbed dish in a long time.

Same fee as a Joey, 7.00 monthly fee

Actually this can still be solved by Dish, but of course will Dish ever solve the problem? Essentially a system with 2 duo nodes could support four hoppers (just requires a DPP44 and a DPP33 switch giving 7 drops), one would just then have to have a connection of the 2 moca networks and the magic software update (which may never appear) to allow the 4 hoppers to work together. The other question is if the MOCA connection has enough bandwidth to support all of this (1.0 has 175 Mbit so should be enough in theory).

Dish really needs a 6 tuner hopper (but it would require 2 cable drops, which probably more than anything stopped them from going with 6 vs 3) or a way to bridge together the MOCA on 2 nodes and have more than 2 hopper systems work together.

You would need a new node like a trio or quad node or something like if they stayed with their same outdated technology. The problem is they switch in the entire 500mhz left or right hand polarity onto the coax for each tuner. By the time you throw in moca and band guards you don't have room for a 4th tuner on the coax. There is the real reason why the hopper only has 3 tuners and the joeys have 0 tuners. Nothing to do with research or surveys. Just a limitation for throwing some quick and dirty technology out the door.

Wow I didn't realize this thread would get so heated... so from reading more of this thread... any joey can see any hopper in a dual hopper system or is it just the joeys that are linked to a specific hopper? That isn't so bad I guess. Still 6 tuners vs 8 tho

Wow I didn't realize this thread would get so heated... so from reading more of this thread... any joey can see any hopper in a dual hopper system or is it just the joeys that are linked to a specific hopper? That isn't so bad I guess. Still 6 tuners vs 8 tho

Think you have to link them.

Where did the 8 come from?

8 is what id have if I got a hr34 and another hr25. 5 tuners to record and 3 independent. I suppose a 2 hopper 2 joey system would work for me on a 4 tv setup... don't want to have to pay the $199 but adding a second hr24 would probably run me the same so whatevs... might have to rethink but still not sure if I dig it... plus going to dish would get the wife and kid diy/hub and me h2/ngwild but we lose espnnews, Smithsonian, all the MSGs, yes network and some others... then you have idiot comcast that has all of those but only 1 hd channel per premium channel and no whole home dvr here yet... I just REALLY don't like the idea of each tv not having a dedicated tuner... personal preference I guess as I can't see 6 tuners on 4 tvs being an issue.

Sigh, why can't someone just offer a la carte and a quality whole home dvr service?

Any Joey can see either Hopper in a two Hopper system. At this moment, the Hoppers can not see each other, and each Joey has to choose which Hopper one at a time. When the update comes, the two Hoppers will see each other, and the Joeys as I understand it will see both Hoppers at the same time.
Also, the second Hopper is only $7 a month, as is each Joey. First Hopper is free from a monthly charge. Each account will pay $10, which is a $6 DVR fee, and a $4 Whole House Fee.
Also each Joey can pause a program, without it being recorded, and if paused, it does not affect someone else watching that program.

Last edited:
No! I called, this is what i was told. I'm NOT going to jump through hoops to beg Directv to keep me or beg for a better price.
I know the person i talked to has their head up their a**, especially regarding the HR34 but that's Directv problem, they should make sure their CSR knows what they are talking about.
When i spoke to this person she made me feel like i was a king and then wanted to shove it up my a** for $515. NO thankyou.
As far as calling retention or this person or that person or email this person and so on. Why?
Directv should be begging ME to stay. If Directv doesn't want my $1300+ per year i'll give it to Dish.

Sounds like you wanted to leave and basically am blaming the CSR. Obviously you have never worked in a call center before. Turnover in call centers is constant. Its not like they can teach all CSR's everything so they have limited info and are designed to do orders for add a receiver, programming changes, etc.
Retention has the ability in most cases to get you a better deal and they want you to stay a customer.

Let me tell you my story of upgrading...
I had 2 R22's and a H23. Now if you dont know the R22 is a special DVR. Its a SD only unit but if there is a HD receiver on the account then they can get HD. SO I was paying $6 a month for a HD receiver (the H23) which was hooked to an old 32" SDTV. So I called D* and spoke to 3 reps about upgrading everything to a HD DVR. Thats all I needed. I was told $199 + 2 year agreement. Um if I pay $6 a month for 2 years I come out ahead. They also gave me the screwy numbers for the HR34 (like $600)
I spoke to retention who gave me an unbelievable deal to upgrade to the HR34 so I'm still with Directv. I've been a customer for 2+ years now

Sigh, why can't someone just offer a la carte and a quality whole home dvr service?

You don't want A La Carte - many threads already about that so do a search, it would not do what you think as far as cost goes.
In my opinion, both Direct and Dish whole home systems are great quality. Both services routinely have much better equipment than most cable companies.

Sounds like you wanted to leave and basically am blaming the CSR. Obviously you have never worked in a call center before. Turnover in call centers is constant. Its not like they can teach all CSR's everything so they have limited info and are designed to do orders for add a receiver, programming changes, etc.
Retention has the ability in most cases to get you a better deal and they want you to stay a customer.

oh and by the way I DO work in a call center (not Directv though) ;). I see people on Monday for training and by the weekend they are gone.

To the few that questioned my logic. I'd prefer Dish's "lazy setup" for a few reasons. First, I pay less on equipment fee. Second, I am under,the assumption that I pay less for electricity. Since I onlhave to power one receiver. Finally, my wife and I don't allow tv in every room of the house. So I have three locations, living room, family room, and mine and the wife's bedroom. Kids don't need tv in their bedroom, don't need the tiny kitchen tv, etc. So again, I don't expect DirecTV subs to understand the view, because DirecTV doesn't have or use that specific technology. They don't, plain and simple, so I don't expect those who have experienced dish to see the positives behind this set up.

I bet that next February, the second hopper goes to $17. If Dish knew beforehand that so many folks would want 2 of them, the price would already be at 17.

They are really $14 since you have to get a joey to get a second hopper. Essentially the joeys do not cost dish much and are essentially profit. They also charge for the second hopper upfront for the lease. Dish is not really leaving money on the table.

They are really $14 since you have to get a joey to get a second hopper. Essentially the joeys do not cost dish much and are essentially profit. They also charge for the second hopper upfront for the lease. Dish is not really leaving money on the table.

Minimum 1 Joey per Hopper has become easy to get around.

To the few that questioned my logic. I'd prefer Dish's "lazy setup" for a few reasons. First, I pay less on equipment fee. Second, I am under,the assumption that I pay less for electricity. Since I onlhave to power one receiver. Finally, my wife and I don't allow tv in every room of the house. So I have three locations, living room, family room, and mine and the wife's bedroom. Kids don't need tv in their bedroom, don't need the tiny kitchen tv, etc. So again, I don't expect DirecTV subs to understand the view, because DirecTV doesn't have or use that specific technology. They don't, plain and simple, so I don't expect those who have experienced dish to see the positives behind this set up.

I can power one HR34 and 2 H25s for the same exact power the one VIP receiver hogs.

Makes me wonder how much my 722 cost in electricity usage @ .10 per kwh on a monthly basis. Any ideas?

Makes me wonder how much my 722 cost in electricity usage @ .10 per kwh on a monthly basis. Any ideas?

My 722 was pulling between 50-60 watts.. powered off I think it dropped 1-2 watts. The HR34 when I first tested it was around 30 watts. The H25's were 8-10 watts a piece. Very impressive.

You may have one less receiver fee, but so what. Each additional Dual Tuner receiver could cost $17 or more. I'd rather pay DirecTV's $6 receiver fee. BTW I used to have Dish Network, and my additional receiver fees cost more than my programing fees.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

A few minor glitches

Need info to upgrade to HD antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)