Hooking a FTA Reciver to the Big Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

audio2000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
The Ozarks
im sure this question has been anwsered on here but just a little lazy to find it. but has any one hooked up a pansat reciver to a C-Band Dish? the questions is how to get the reciver to switch the servo on the lnb from vertical and horizontal polary on both the Ku and C-Band with this? and how to get the dish to move using its motor?

You can do it one of three ways....
1. Use an old analog receiver to control servo movement and dish position
2. Get yourself a G-Box or V-Box which takes commands from your Pansat and "converts" them to move your dish....do a search for V-box and you will come up with plenty of info.
3. Put a LNBF on your dish and the Pansat will control polarity and use old analog receiver to move dish

I do the analog receiver to move dish method and have a voltage controlled LNBF to change polarity. I have them slaved together so I can still watch the occasional analog feed (what is left of them).

alright thanks for the INfo i was in the process of converting my old BirdView dish .. will proubly get a Lnbf ... and a vbox since my analog reciver Uniden SQ590 died ... looks like the capactors in the unit has dried out im sure if i replaced all them it would work again.. but since all the analog channels are gone ..

http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi3500028.html i did find this unless you have any other sujestions

Last edited:
A Birdview eh? That will have a lot of the guys drooling! One of, if not THE most sought after dish I know of. Many a thread on Birdview dishes here.

alright thanks for the INfo i was in the process of converting my old BirdView dish .. will proubly get a Lnbf ... and a vbox since my analog reciver Uniden SQ590 died ... looks like the capactors in the unit has dried out im sure if i replaced all them it would work again.. but since all the analog channels are gone ..

C/Ku Digital LNBF i did find this unless you have any other sujestions

Regarding a C/Ku LNBF I would recommend the DMX741 (from WSI/Galaxy Marketing) or the CK-1 GEOSATpro (from SatAv and Sadoun). All 3 are sponsors of this website and you will find links to their sites on top of this forum page.

As Inno said above there's a ton of Birdview info here in the C-band section, do a search for threads started by "linuxman", with "Birdview" in the title.

If you have the stock BV scalar you will probably have to enlarge the opening in the scalar a little to make it big enough for a LNBF to fit.

well im considering getting the 9200HD one with the S3 Option the only reason i'd need the servo is if i fixed my analog reciver
I have a 9200 with the pansat S-2 plus tuner and I am very dissapointed in it. This receiver heats up so bad it locks up, without a fan running on it you can hardly scan more than 1 bird without freeze up. My old coolsat works better and cost much less. no s2 though.

I am aware of three combo lnb's for c/ku reception -- BSC621, DMS741 and the GeoSat (I don't know the number). I bought mine a couple of years ago -- the BSC621. It is controversial as far as ku reception, but mine is working fine!

Somebody gave me a later c/ku band 10 foot dish, a 1993 Perfect 10. It had a corotor II originally mounted on it. So I knew it was getting ku reception.

I bought me a v-box 5 for $50. I've seen them for $35-$40. I got a couple of hundred feet of used orange outside extension cord and put it inside plastic conduit from Lowe's to my dish about 150 feet away. I also ran a double strand of RG6 inside. One strand would have been enough. My lnb switches from c-band to ku through one wire. I think its called a 22 mhz switch. It's part of the BSC621.

I'm using old fortec ultra receivers because the remote frequency is compatible with my v-box. My newer Captiveworks 600P receivers wouldn't work. The v-box remote was causing erratic functions on my CW receiver.

I ran the coax to the v-box and then to my fortec ultra. I didn't even get the USALS going. I'm using manual positions to program my v-box. I'm sure USALS would have worked even better, but I'm lazy. Using it the way I do necessitates the use of the extra v-box remote. But, heck, it came with the box anyway. I might as well use it. I can hear remotes clicking together in the bed as I sleep at night.

I'm not suggesting you do it the way I did. Its just something to use for reference. I've got an extra Buzz regular receiver hooked up to four fixed ku dishes which I have hooked up to my favorite ku satellite dishes (old primestars). That way I don't have to worry about motoring them around so much. I've got all of it hooked up to different inputs on my new digital tv. I even hooked up an outside antenna for HD ota tv. That way I've got my local channels, too.

So its even a cheap hobby (compared to paying hundreds of dollars a year for DTV or DN).

But my wife couldn't figure all the switching. I've got a chart on my bedroom wall showing the satellite positions of about 20 satellites which I'm presently receiving. Sometimes I have to "bump" the v-box remote a couple of clicks to get a strong signal on my bug, ugly dish in bad weather. So I bought her the "Welcome Pack" from DN for $9.99 per month. Now she's happy with Kate Plus 8 minus John.

Hey, life is good. Go fta!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)