Hopper 3 DVR issue

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
Tonight we decide to watch an Elementary, we have 10 recorded so time to catch up. When I hit the Elementary icon, it goes to the Episodes tab, and then the progress bar just runs nonstop and it never does show me the recorded episodes. If I move to the Summary tab, it shows the latest episode and that will play no problem, but I can't get it to show the other recorded episodes.

My DVR is about 72% full. As I go through the recorded shows, some will show the episodes and some will not (same non stop progress bar action.) In one case, we have 8 recorded episodes, and the number on the show icon shows 8, but when I open it it only shows 2 episodes.

I've reset the Hopper 3, but that didn't help. The problem is not present on my external HD. My fear is my internal HD is going bad. Is there anything else I can try to do to get these shows to show up? Am I just screwed on all the stuff recorded that won't show up? It doesn't seem to correlate to how long ago the series were recorded in terms of what shows up and what doesn't, and in all cases I can play the latest episode.

Help!

Tonight we decide to watch an Elementary, we have 10 recorded so time to catch up. When I hit the Elementary icon, it goes to the Episodes tab, and then the progress bar just runs nonstop and it never does show me the recorded episodes. If I move to the Summary tab, it shows the latest episode and that will play no problem, but I can't get it to show the other recorded episodes.

My DVR is about 72% full. As I go through the recorded shows, some will show the episodes and some will not (same non stop progress bar action.) In one case, we have 8 recorded episodes, and the number on the show icon shows 8, but when I open it it only shows 2 episodes.

I've reset the Hopper 3, but that didn't help. The problem is not present on my external HD. My fear is my internal HD is going bad. Is there anything else I can try to do to get these shows to show up? Am I just screwed on all the stuff recorded that won't show up? It doesn't seem to correlate to how long ago the series were recorded in terms of what shows up and what doesn't, and in all cases I can play the latest episode.

Help!
Did you try a pull the cord reset?

Reactions: JSheridan
I'm having the EXACT same problem on all 3 of my Hoppers...2 HWS & 1 Ho. If there is only a single show, those will play fine...but any shows with multiple episodes - no matter how many - the same thing happens with the progress bar. Of course all have been rebooted (unplugged) to no avail.
I remember on the VIP receivers, you could turn off show folders, so that each, individual recorded show of a given series, appeared as a separate listed recording when you hit DVR...but I assume that was long removed from the Ho's, as I couldn't find a way to do this, to try & see if those shows came back.

I highly doubt it's a HDD problem...just E*'s usual top-notch software at work... :rolleyes:

Reactions: pattykay
Pretty much the same thing. Three shows on different channels have missing episodes. One shows 8 episodes recorded but. when selected, only has one. In another, the progress bar just keeps running or sometimes show no episode recorded. Any solution?

OK, while I'm not happy others are seeing the same thing, I'm glad that it's not just my HD going bad (I doubt all of our HDs would go bad at the same time.) I hope there is someone who can get this info to someone at Dish who can look at the problem.

Do you use the DA app? I just tried logging into it & when I look at the DVR's thru it, all the episodes on these shows that should be there, are there...& I can watch them thru DA as well - so obviously, they ARE still sitting on the damn HDD! Sitting on a 20-min hold for tech support to find out how widespread this is...for whatever good that'll do.

edit: YEP, just as I figured...tech support is getting other calls on this, known issue, they're sending feedback to teams, no timeframe on a resolution.

Last edited:
I am having the same issue as well! Glad it's not my HDD failing! Interesting note...I transferred to EHD a program that should have 4 episodes but only displays 3. After transfer all 4 episodes are visible from EHD.

Do you use the DA app? I just tried logging into it & when I look at the DVR's thru it, all the episodes on these shows that should be there, are there...& I can watch them thru DA as well - so obviously, they ARE still sitting on the damn HDD! Sitting on a 20-min hold for tech support to find out how widespread this is...for whatever good that'll do.

edit: YEP, just as I figured...tech support is getting other calls on this, known issue, they're sending feedback to teams, no timeframe on a resolution.

Thanks very much for the information. And brilliant on the DA, never occurred to me to look there, and sure enough, all the episodes are indeed there. BTW, when watching DA on my phone there's an option to watch the show you've picked on TV instead of the phone - I assume that only will display on the TV connected to the Hopper 3, right?

Reactions: charlesrshell
A thing to try go in DVR click options from the remote-manage recordings-look for the show-see how many episodes-select the icon and select auto play.

Same problem here, can confirm transfer to EHD works and also if transfer back they now show up. I think until this issue is fixed, I will transfer to EHD and keep them there.

Elementary works via the DA remote play but cannot transfer to EHD since it can't see the episodes when trying to 'Manage Recordings'

This is just a thought. What if you create a folder, and then move your show folders to that new folder? That may be a way to get around this issue, without having to use an EHD.

Same issue here on trying to move to EHD, it cant see the episodes so I can't select them to move. When I move them to a folder, I have the same issue (even though the folder says it contains 10 episodes when I move the episodes of Elementary to the folder, but same issue trying to open and select an episode.)

Autoplay only plays the latest episode (which I can already do.)

Same issue here on trying to move to EHD, it cant see the episodes so I can't select them to move. When I move them to a folder, I have the same issue (even though the folder says it contains 10 episodes when I move the episodes of Elementary to the folder, but same issue trying to open and select an episode.)

Autoplay only plays the latest episode (which I can already do.)

Do the usual "manage recordings" and select the icon for your show. Don't open it, just put a check mark on the icon. You can now move them en masse to the EHD. I've done this with several shows. Not the best way but it was the only way to move them.

I've reset the Hopper 3, but that didn't help.

I have the same exact problems and it all started after the U521 update 2 days ago.

Do the usual "manage recordings" and select the icon for your show. Don't open it, just put a check mark on the icon. You can now move them en masse to the EHD. I've done this with several shows. Not the best way but it was the only way to move them.

I'll try. In the past when I've tried to move several programs/episodes at one time, it would move one or two then get hung up. But I'll try it and see what happens.

I'll try. In the past when I've tried to move several programs/episodes at one time, it would move one or two then get hung up. But I'll try it and see what happens.

Yeah, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and hit the transfer button on three shows and they all worked.

This may not be the case with everything, but found an odd coincidence. We were catching up on The Middle when this happened. We have/had 16 episodes recorded, update happened and now we have 5. Just so happens if you go to on-demand, the 5 episodes available on-demand , ep 8, 19, 20,21,22 are the exact same ones that are the only ones showing on my DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)