Hopper 3 DVR issue

It doesn't look like it's U521 itself but some other data mess up that's doing this. It just started on or about Aug 8 and U521 has been around a lot longer that that. According to Dish they're working on a fix that will hopefully come very soon.

I’m pretty sure it didn’t start for me until 521, just the other night. But I’ve heard that “hopefully a fix...” for over 20 years now.

I’m pretty sure it didn’t start for me until 521, just the other night. But I’ve heard that “hopefully a fix...” for over 20 years now.

Apparently you got U521 when the other problem surfaced which was a coincidence.

Yea, I've been waiting for a fix for over 20 years too, from Microsoft and some others too. :biggrin

Reactions: charlesrshell
This may not be the case with everything, but found an odd coincidence. We were catching up on The Middle when this happened. We have/had 16 episodes recorded, update happened and now we have 5. Just so happens if you go to on-demand, the 5 episodes available on-demand , ep 8, 19, 20,21,22 are the exact same ones that are the only ones showing on my DVR.
Here is something else to try: If you disconnect your Hopper from the internet, do the missing recordings show up in your DVR folder?

Okay, I tried disconnecting my Wally from the internet, and then resetting it through Diagnostics > Tools. That did not help. However, I did try the Manage Recordings > Autoplay suggestion from earlier in the thread, and that got me to the first recording in the folder. After deleting that recording, I now only have one episode of that show on the main DVR screen. The deleted recording still does not show up in Trash.

Have you tried just going through Dish Anywhere? I realize that this is a major eff up that never should have happened in the first place but it is easily remedied by just using Dish Anywhere and choosing the Watch on TV option. Your regular Dish remote even works once the show starts. You only need DA to launch it and then whatever you want to do at the end (delete, choose other etc.) That has worked fine for me but maybe there are reasons it doesn't work for others?

Since it does not appear that a specific update caused this, but a change in the show metadata is causing havoc in how the shows are organized/grouped by the Hopper system. I wonder if this would affect ViP receivers that have their DVR contents grouped or in folders? Luckily I don't have mine set to do any grouping, and I'm not going to give it a try.

Does the Hopper even have a setting for choosing whether to group recordings or not? If not, then just another dumbing down of the software for the masses.

I don’t believe the Wally has Sling built in. Maybe it would work with a Sling Adapter, but since it wasn’t intended to be a DVR (primarily) and DA is mostly, IMHO, for recorded programs, there would be little purpose to a “Wally With Sling.”

Just for live programming?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I don’t believe the Wally has Sling built in.
Neither does the Hopper Duo, but Dish Anywhere still lets me manage my recordings, set timers, and see the program guide, including OTA channels that are scanned into the Hopper Duo. (Although some channels are missing from the Dish Anywhere guide.)

You really have to wonder what they were trying to do to cause something like this. I mean, what kind of change were they trying to make to something that was working fine before?

I don't know why we should have to put up with their buggy receivers. Why can't we have generic and/or open-source receivers? I understand that the program providers want their content to stay encrypted (although I disagree with that) so why couldn't an arbitrary receiver just record the encrypted data stream and pass it through a card-based decryption module on playback just as if it were live? Why do we have to put up with Dish's incompetent efforts?

Pick your poison I guess. DirecTV, Charter, and Comcast STBs are similarly buggy. Even Tivo's new UI has a bug or two. The answer in almost all cases is the software is overly complex, so hard to fix and hard to add features to.

Pick your poison I guess. DirecTV, Charter, and Comcast STBs are similarly buggy. Even Tivo's new UI has a bug or two. The answer in almost all cases is the software is overly complex, so hard to fix and hard to add features to.

Ya know, I work with various software systems all the time, and I'm not quite sure what needs to be so complex about this software. When you break it into the tasks for each module, each has a pretty simple task for the code to perform, compared to a lot of software systems out there.

Ya know, I work with various software systems all the time, and I'm not quite sure what needs to be so complex about this software. When you break it into the tasks for each module, each has a pretty simple task for the code to perform, compared to a lot of software systems out there.

Indeed. Probably all about advertising I expect.