Hopper 4 (may be called Hopper X)

blatimer1983

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Mississippi
There is a chance that Hopper 4 (may be called Hopper X) that may be launching in April, is this true? I heard the Hopper Duo doesn’t have the HDTV component output, and HDTV component outputs may become obsolete one year.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
How could component outputs become “obsolete” they are mostly there now for older equipment that was manufactured before HDMI. Although several new TV’s still come with them for redundancy. I have a JVC D-VHS machine connected to a year old Sony 4K set using them. The JVC lacks HDMI.

How could component outputs become “obsolete” they are mostly there now for older equipment that was manufactured before HDMI. Although several new TV’s still come with them for redundancy. I have a JVC D-VHS machine connected to a year old Sony 4K set using them. The JVC lacks HDMI.
Component cabling is for HD signalling. You are thinking of composite cabling.

Unfortunately none of it is true.

I was joking around the other day by saying there was a Hopper 4 and that it would be released on April 1st. (April fools day)

If there was a Hopper 4 coming Dish would have been at CES showing it off and making a big deal about it. Dish had nothing to show so they skipped CES.

Hollywood has been pressuring everyone to get rid of Component jacks or to disable Component (and composite) for years now, and that day is coming, unfortunately. The content owners tried to get the FCC to allow them to disable Component (and composite) via data within the stream of the content such as a movie or TV show. The were denied because there are still some devices (TV's) out there where Component is the only way to watch HD, but they were allowed to do so on a limited basis, and only for Pay-per-view movies/content for what was supposed to be a brief period, but I think they will win on Pay-Per-view, but Hollywood wants it across the board for EVERYTHING sent via cable and satellite, Frontier (old Verizon) FiOS and AT&T IPTV (this may already be implemented on streaming services such as Netflix, etc.).

I can imagine content owners pressuring all the MVPD's to drop at least Component outputs from all new STB's including DVR's. Also, there is a cost to provide the Component outputs per box when manufacturing in mass numbers. It would be a savings for the MVPD's that is real money when millions (of just one model) of such boxes are built.

As for me, I really depend upon component for Slingbox, so I do not want to see component output go away. Keep in mind there is a reason virtually all DVD recorders and DVR's do NOT have a component INPUT, but do have the diminished composite, and in older boxes the S-Video input. The content owners demanded it or they were going to SUE the CE companies who make the DVD recorders (Component would have provided superior SD recordings) and TiVo and sue MVPD's who make their own DVR's if they put any component INPUTS. The threat of a lawsuit brings with it the chance that a court would impose a preliminary injunction on such devices until completion of trial--many years later and ONLY IF the DVR makers/providers prevailed.

So, makers of DVD recorders provide only SD inputs (except for the mini connection to accommodate personal HD recordings cameras), while TiVo, and MVPD DVR's just avoid the whole mess and money losing scenario of a preliminary injunction and just don't provide any inputs at all. That gets Hollywood of their backs, allow them to get the DVR product out to market after having spent loads of money on R&D. It's just easier and far less expensive for the DVR makers to appease content owners by just eliminating all inputs.

I sure would love to believe that component is here to say, but it aint. Oh, and for those who still NEED component to view HD on their legacy HDTV's? The govt. and Hollywood would say, "Tough Darts! Go and buy a NEW TV."

Reactions: dare2be and joegr
And this would be the teaching moment to learn that some jokes backfire, like those practical jokes that go too far :) He, he, he!

Reactions: HipKat

I was joking around the other day by saying there was a Hopper 4 and that it would be released on April 1st. (April fools day)

If there was a Hopper 4 coming Dish would have been at CES showing it off and making a big deal about it. Dish had nothing to show so they skipped CES.

We refer this as “April Fools”, haha!!

But they are working on the next version of the Hopper right? I mean if history is any indicator this would be the year we would see one released? And didn't you say in a post in another thread that if they did create a Hopper 4 ,that it wouldn' t include more tuners , but the ability to add more custom apps the customer wants to it?

Reactions: charlesrshell
With the VIP's going away, do the hoppers put out component and hdmi simultaneously? I currently run 2 HD tvs in two different rooms with my 722k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts