Hopper+ capabilities

guess I am confused regarding the wireless joey 4
Does it have a different interface than the Hoppers?
Is it capable of being directly connected to the internet?
Does it have 4k apps bult in?
Yes it's a different interface. And it receives internet from the hopper. Apps have to be downloaded but yes they support 4k.

Reactions: charlesrshell
how does it receive internet from the hopper?
I thought that it had an ethernet port for the internet connection
Over moca (multimedia over coax alliance) via the wireless link or by cable for any wired receivers. The ethernet port is not for internet and honestly not there for anything approved by dish, so why they put them to begin with I have no idea.

guess I am confused regarding the wireless joey 4
Does it have a different interface than the Hoppers?
Is it capable of being directly connected to the internet?
Does it have 4k apps bult in?
Yes it has Google/AndroidTV for it's interface with a log-in for your Google Account and that allows you to have any app on it

So without an account it won't function?
Not big into apps
You literally asked if it had apps.
You don't need to sign in to use the apps unless you're using something Google specific, like Google TV, for example, or want to keep your YT populated with your favorites, history, etc.
You also don't need to sign in to watch TV/Recodings/On-demand

BROTHER! Let me ease your troubles. Here, take a good long glug of this sweet refreshing beverage. And we’ll talk about it. After it takes effect…

And just to be sure, have a special cookie or two…

All the Hopper+ and Joey 4s are good for is access to apps. If you are not into apps you don't need either. All they do is integrate into the Hopper arena what a Roku and the like offer.
that is what i am trying to determine if I am missing anything without the WJ4?
Since I don't have the H3, I don't think that I am, but I now have the opportunity
to have it installed. I do use the YouTube app now and think I would enjoy
the 4K version of that. If there are other free apps available, I might use them as well,
but I pay enough monthly for dish programming and don't want to spend more.
Regardless, it should be a better unit than the original wireless joey's that I have now as long
as it is no more difficult to connect wirelessly or would bog down both HWS that it would be
connected too.

bnewt - You can accomplish the same thing with an Amazon Fire TV stick and use the DISH Anywhere app if you want access to the content on the Hopper. The amount free apps is basically what is available on https://play.google.com except there is no way to show a list of apps as it's some number into the tens of thousands I believe so you have to use the search and then put in keywords on what type of app you are looking for.

All the Hopper+ and Joey 4s are good for is access to apps. If you are not into apps you don't need either. All they do is integrate into the Hopper arena what a Roku and the like offer.
Forget the apps. The Joey 4 and wireless Joey 4 are able to watch Dish 4K content on channels 540-01, 540-02, and 540-03. The Joey 4K can not do this. Thus if you want to watch Dish 4K content on a 4K TV that is not connected to the Hopper3 you need a Joey 4 or wireless Joey 4.

It is even worse if you are using Dish Anywhere on a 4K TV since the maximum resolution is 720P for Dish Anywhere. This is the only reason that I would like a Joey 4 for my basement Toshiba Fire TV.

Forget the apps. The Joey 4 and wireless Joey 4 are able to watch Dish 4K content on channels 540-01, 540-02, and 540-03. The Joey 4K can not do this. Thus if you want to watch Dish 4K content on a 4K TV that is not connected to the Hopper3 you need a Joey 4 or wireless Joey 4.

It is even worse if you are using Dish Anywhere on a 4K TV since the maximum resolution is 720P for Dish Anywhere. This is the only reason that I would like a Joey 4 for my basement Toshiba Fire TV.
Great point dweber. I hadn't even thought about that.