Hopper+ capabilities

Yes, live satellite tv viewing without the need of the internet. :D
Well, you don't need the Plus for that. We've all been enjoying satellite TV for years without the Plus. What the Plus does is allow us to use internet apps on that same satellite receiver and, of course, you need internet access to achieve that.

I’m thinking about getting Hopper+ with a Wireless Joey 4 for my Birthday which is November 21. I hope they get all the bugs worked out of wireless Joey 4 and Hopper + by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m thinking about getting Hopper+ with a Wireless Joey 4 for my Birthday which is November 21. I hope they get all the bugs worked out of wireless Joey 4 and Hopper + by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck with that. As good as the Hopper 3 is it still gets bugs even after all these years.

The Hopper + was HORRIBLE when t first came out, but now it’s just as good as the Joey 4's no reasons to unhook it now.
Unless you don’t like the Android TV interface and have no use for any Android apps.

Anything it seems that folks want to do with Android apps I can do with my AppleTV; which is stable, non-laggy, and is well supported. And using a programable remote, I also get to use one remote for everything.

With all deference to Dish’s well intentions, if you use this board as a guide, using a “+” is just an exercise in constant annoyance and frustration.

Perhaps this view is a bit of an exaggeration of the problems. But objectively there seems like there are better options rather than putting up with Hopper+’s strained evolution.

Reactions: KAB
No and to me, they're still better
To add to this, my main box on my 3 Primary TVs are Roku Ultras, it is not the prettiest interface, but it just works, never locks up, fast as heck, everything plays in whatever format intended.

What I mean from that if something plays in HDR, Dolby Vision, it automatically goes to that.

On a few devices, you have to leave HDR always on, which then means it sends incorrect data to the TV for non HDR content, which then affects the picture.

I know DirecTV’s new box and the Hopper+ did/does this, no idea if fixed.

To add to this, my main box on my 3 Primary TVs are Roku Ultras, it is not the prettiest interface, but it just works, never locks up, fast as heck, everything plays in whatever format intended.

What I mean from that if something plays in HDR, Dolby Vision, it automatically goes to that.

On a few devices, you have to leave HDR always on, which then means it sends incorrect data to the TV for non HDR content, which then affects the picture.

I know DirecTV’s new box and the Hopper+ did/does this, no idea if fixed.
For me, I spent more on an Nvidia Sheild Pro because I like the AI 4K, the extra speed and memory and direct Ethernet connection. My oldest, I get her a FS 4k Max and it seems really good

Unless you don’t like the Android TV interface and have no use for any Android apps.

Anything it seems that folks want to do with Android apps I can do with my AppleTV; which is stable, non-laggy, and is well supported. And using a programable remote, I also get to use one remote for everything.

With all deference to Dish’s well intentions, if you use this board as a guide, using a “+” is just an exercise in constant annoyance and frustration.

Perhaps this view is a bit of an exaggeration of the problems. But objectively there seems like there are better options rather than putting up with Hopper+’s strained evolution.
If you don't want Android apps then there is no reason to get the Plus.

I do wish (and I have mentioned this to the Android Team at DISH a few times) I do wish that instead of going to the Android TV home screen when turning on your TV, you go directly into live tv.. I have been told its not possible, yet I have a Sony X90J Android TV, and there is an option under settings to allow me to do just that. Android TV should not be the star of the show or the main feature, that should still be you DISH Satellite service what you pay for.

I will be honest here... with Android TV it seems at my house people are watching things more via streaming then they are DISH. Seems to me that this could cause people to think why am I paying for DISH when all this content is out there for free. Pluto TV, Roku TV and Xumo are the top used apps in my house. And with everyone on strike and no new TV shows coming down the line it seems like people love the classics that are offered and its even better when its free. For me the 70's and 80's video music channels are what I have on most now and I mostly use it for background noise. I also love the This Old House Channels too. :D

I will be honest here... with Android TV it seems at my house people are watching things more via streaming then they are DISH.
Welcome to my world.
IMG_1015.jpeg

Seems to me that this could cause people to think why am I paying for DISH when all this content is out there for free. Pluto TV, Roku TV and Xumo are the top used apps in my house.
Paying for all the rerun channels on Traditional Live TV has always bothered me, do not watch them , but I do not watch the Pluto TV type services either, there is so much new(er) content on the streaming services I have not viewed yet, this strike can go on for two years and I still will not be caught up.
And with everyone on strike and no new TV shows coming down the line it seems like people love the classics that are offered and it’s even better when it’s free.
Except there will be new content, since streaming series have a longer make then air timeframe, Netflix and Disney+ has enough new content till the end of 2024, Paramount until next summer, the rest I have no idea.

A Fox executive has already said if the strikes are not settled by Oct.1, the 2023-2024 season is toast, basically since no scripts are written , that means it will take at least 8 weeks to get ready to film, then another 6 weeks to air.

If you don't want Android apps then there is no reason to get the Plus.

I do wish (and I have mentioned this to the Android Team at DISH a few times) I do wish that instead of going to the Android TV home screen when turning on your TV, you go directly into live tv.. I have been told its not possible, yet I have a Sony X90J Android TV, and there is an option under settings to allow me to do just that. Android TV should not be the star of the show or the main feature, that should still be you DISH Satellite service what you pay for.

I will be honest here... with Android TV it seems at my house people are watching things more via streaming then they are DISH. Seems to me that this could cause people to think why am I paying for DISH when all this content is out there for free. Pluto TV, Roku TV and Xumo are the top used apps in my house. And with everyone on strike and no new TV shows coming down the line it seems like people love the classics that are offered and its even better when its free. For me the 70's and 80's video music channels are what I have on most now and I mostly use it for background noise. I also love the This Old House Channels too. :D
It's not a bad question, I've been full blow streaming for over 3 years now and I can't imagine having to pay all that money to watch 5 channels. Heck, just YT alone makes up most of my time streaming. I find a ton of good stuff on Pluto

This is what is keeping me from at least trying to embrace the Hopper+ environment. Mrs. Bobby wants to turn the TV on and watch satellite channels. She has little interest in streaming. She will go to Netflix to stream kids shows for our granddaughter but that is it. She can do that from our Hopper and Joeys. While I have an Apple TV at those locations it is easiest for her to use the DISH equipment to get there. Me, on the other hand..... :)

It's not a bad question, I've been full blow streaming for over 3 years now and I can't imagine having to pay all that money to watch 5 channels. Heck, just YT alone makes up most of my time streaming. I find a ton of good stuff on Pluto
We are enjoying streaming too. It drove me crazy keeping up with what programs and which episode we last watched, etc. So I developed a spreadsheet to help keep up with everything we are or had watched, etc. Much easier now. I just wish there was some kind of guide like TitanTV.com. Here is my spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Apps Schedule-Pri.xlsx.pdf
    534 KB · Views: 80
Good luck with that. As good as the Hopper 3 is it still gets bugs even after all these years.
That's all DISH receivers that I have ever owned in the 25 years I was with them. The worst was the dishplayer/web tv models. The 921 was another one that was a pain in the butt. Even the 811 hd receiver was crazy for a time. I think that DISH releases them with some basic functions and add features with software and let the bugs get worked out as they go. :smug