Hopper Duo

The Duo is selling for 150 . Not a bad deal . I don’t like the idea of a used hard drive. Will the Duo except a larger drive.?

If you mean the internal drive, I would doubt it. I don't think there has been a Dish DVR receiver, at least in the last decade, that you could swap the internal drive with anything other than the exact same model/capacity hard drive. If you mean external drive, then yes, one would assume you can still plug an external drive up to 2TB (some even larger, though not necessarily supported), just like you can with all of the other ViP/Hopper DVRs.

Yeah...saw that. Kinda bizarre scenario...makes me wonder if that was Dish playing around, or if (ironically) you might have a hard drive dying on you.
That was what I assumed, so I ordered a Hopper Duo to replace it. I am hoping it will continue to work long enough to be able to transfer the recordings.

Reactions: DWS44
Well, early this week, the DVR functionality on my activated ViP722k was somehow disabled, so Dish must have accidentally pushed out the software (or however they disable the hard drive) to it. I thought that the hard drive had died, so I reactivated a spare ViP612 that I had laying around to replace it. :eeek Functionally, the ViP722k with disabled DVR functionality was identical to the ViP222k, except that there was an annoying pop-up about the DVR functionality being disabled each time I tried to access the DVR. Then I realized there was one other difference: the DVR-disabled ViP722k still had the nine-day program guide, so at that point I knew the hard drive still worked. After leaving the ViP722k unplugged and disconnected from the satellite signal for about a day, I pulled the Smart Card out and re-inserted it, and then hooked the ViP722k back up in one last-ditch effort to get the DVR functionality working again. That actually worked, although I have no idea which step fixed the problem, or if it would have straightened itself out on its own. Talk about a headache!
Talk about a lucky way to fix it, too!

If you mean the internal drive, I would doubt it. I don't think there has been a Dish DVR receiver, at least in the last decade, that you could swap the internal drive with anything other than the exact same model/capacity hard drive. If you mean external drive, then yes, one would assume you can still plug an external drive up to 2TB (some even larger, though not necessarily supported), just like you can with all of the other ViP/Hopper DVRs.
There also has not been a Dish DVR (with an internal drive) that will let you record directly to the external drive. So, if the used internal drive in the Hopper Duo fails, you are still kinda screwed, at least until you get a replacement. Even then, any recordings still on the internal drive would be lost.

Reactions: TheKrell and DWS44
If Dish is being such at outgoing company.Than why are they shipping out a brand new receiver and putting in a refurbished hard drive. Than naming everything off the menu from the Outback Steakhouse. Someone is hitting the sauce at Dish.

Reactions: pattykay
I once take the hard drive out of a 922 (1tb) and place in a hopper, then upgrade to the carbon UI, works like a charm

You're thinking too hard. A 222 has always been a 722 without a hard drive, as far as I could tell. Dish is replacing 322's and 222's via a passive migration. Meaning, if a customer calls in with issues, they're getting replaced with a 722 with the Hard Drive disabled.

The point I was making is, seems dumb to replace a 222 with the same box that still has a HD in it, but is disabled (The same way it's disabled on Commercial Hopper installs) and then put out a new Duo Tuner that needs refurbished 722 Hard Drives. Seems to me a lot of 722 Hard Drives are going to waste sitting in disabled boxes that replaced 322's and 222's. ANd why replace a 222 anyway?? Especially with the same damn receiver with a slightly different model number and a useless, wasted HD in it?

If anything, replace 612's and 622's. STILL the same Chasis but 612's having software issues and 622's being older than Claude Greiner is

I thought the HDDs from neutered ViP722s were being pulled for use in Hopper Duos.

Reactions: pattykay
I thought the HDDs from neutered ViP722s were being pulled for use in Hopper Duos.
Unless Dish starts sending out 722's without HDD's in them, they're only chemically castrated. They're still a complete 722 with the hard drive disabled. Which is what got me on my earlier post; a 722 with no HDD in it is really a 222 with the wrong model number on it, IMO

Unless Dish starts sending out 722's without HDD's in them, they're only chemically castrated. They're still a complete 722 with the hard drive disabled. Which is what got me on my earlier post; a 722 with no HDD in it is really a 222 with the wrong model number on it, IMO
Are you sure the hard drives are completely disabled, or is it just software to disable the DVR functionality? Because if my experience is any indication, the hard drive would still work for the nine-day program guide, which would be a significant improvement over the existing ViP222's, possibly warranting a new model number for the ones with this additional feature.

How do they test the drive? If it spins up then it’s good to go . How old are the drives . 500 gigs have been out for awhile. Sounds like a great gig for Dish to keep the service tech busy. Hope they pay well for service charges.

I don’t like the idea of a used hard drive.
The hard drive in your brand-spanking new Hopper "X" is "used" after a day/week/etc. If you have ever gotten a refurbished/replacement receiver from Dish, those are likely to have used HDDs as well. Even if it had an HDD failure which caused it's return to Dish, Dish may very well put a used, but tested, HDD right back in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)