Hopper Duo

So, I thought this might be a good solution for our ViP 722 DVR at our vacation house, but I'm willing to bet the DVR Fee will be there, plus the additional $7 for a Joey. I think the two Wally receivers with two EHDs still come out cheaper for our needs.

And, not that it's a big deal, but unlike the Hopper 3, the Hopper Duo is 2K HD, not 4K UHD. Since there is just the one 4K channel on Dish (sometimes) it isn't a big deal, but at some point in the future it will be.

So, I thought this might be a good solution for our ViP 722 DVR at our vacation house, but I'm willing to bet the DVR Fee will be there, plus the additional $7 for a Joey. I think the two Wally receivers with two EHDs still come out cheaper for our needs.

And, not that it's a big deal, but unlike the Hopper 3, the Hopper Duo is 2K HD, not 4K UHD. Since there is just the one 4K channel on Dish (sometimes) it isn't a big deal, but at some point in the future it will be.
It is also important to note that the two Wally could be added / removed from the same account as the Hopper 3, as needed. Hopper Duo would not be allowed to be on the same account as the Hopper 3, but you are probably already used to that restriction with the ViP722.

The vacation house is an "As You Go" pre-paid Dish account. That requires us to own our Dish receiver. Last year the DVR fee bumped up which started me thinking about a Wally with EHD since the ViP 211/211k can't be activated after tomorrow.

Reactions: pattykay
The vacation house is an "As You Go" pre-paid Dish account. That requires us to own our Dish receiver. Last year the DVR fee bumped up which started me thinking about a Wally with EHD since the ViP 211/211k can't be activated after tomorrow.
The ViP722 can't be activated after tomorrow. No date has been announced yet for ViP211/211k cut-off.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Ah, good point. It will be interesting to see what happens when we go to turn the Vacation House account back on. The same VIP722K receiver has been used on this account for the last two years. (It is also the same ViP722k I won in the SatelliteGuys Holiday Give-Away from ages ago!)

Reactions: pattykay
The Duo is selling for 150 . Not a bad deal . I don’t like the idea of a used hard drive. Will the Duo except a larger drive.?

Reactions: trojan67
The Duo is selling for 150 . Not a bad deal . I don’t like the idea of a used hard drive. Will the Duo except a larger drive.?
I second that, about two years ago I purchased some 625, sealed in shrink wrap with refurb hard drive, every one failed hours to a week after activation

I have to give Dish credit. They give you options. You want full on features then go with Hopper 3. You want no DVR fee go Wally EHD. Now they give you the Hopper Duo.

I can't think of any other TV providers that do that. Plus Hopper 3 is fantastic.

We went with the Hopper 3 flex pack with OTA dual tuner. My wife loves it.

I'm confused on that, since we're using 722's to replace 222's. His isn't a new connect... or do they see it that way?
I have no idea how Dish will treat Foxbat's case. I assumed that Dish would come up with a new model number for the 722's without hard drives, to avoid confusion with the 722's that still work as DVRs. In the meantime, I have been calling them 722n. (neutered)

Reactions: littlecloud319
I have no idea how Dish will treat Foxbat's case. I assumed that Dish would come up with a new model number for the 722's without hard drives, to avoid confusion with the 722's that still work as DVRs. In the meantime, I have been calling them 722n. (neutered)
They had a 722 without a HD. It was called a 222.....

They had a 722 without a HD. It was called a 222.....
Well now you are confusing me, because you said that you were using 722's to replace 222's, and an announcement was made that 222's would not be available as replacements anymore. So, are the ones being put out in the field after tomorrow being called 722's or 222's? :confused: Is there any difference in functionality between the ones that originally came as 222's and the ones that are refurbished 722's?

Well now you are confusing me, because you said that you were using 722's to replace 222's, and an announcement was made that 222's would not be available as replacements anymore. So, are the ones being put out in the field after tomorrow being called 722's or 222's? :confused: Is there any difference in functionality between the ones that originally came as 222's and the ones that are refurbished 722's?
You're thinking too hard. A 222 has always been a 722 without a hard drive, as far as I could tell. Dish is replacing 322's and 222's via a passive migration. Meaning, if a customer calls in with issues, they're getting replaced with a 722 with the Hard Drive disabled.

The point I was making is, seems dumb to replace a 222 with the same box that still has a HD in it, but is disabled (The same way it's disabled on Commercial Hopper installs) and then put out a new Duo Tuner that needs refurbished 722 Hard Drives. Seems to me a lot of 722 Hard Drives are going to waste sitting in disabled boxes that replaced 322's and 222's. ANd why replace a 222 anyway?? Especially with the same damn receiver with a slightly different model number and a useless, wasted HD in it?

If anything, replace 612's and 622's. STILL the same Chasis but 612's having software issues and 622's being older than Claude Greiner is

You're thinking too hard. A 222 has always been a 722 without a hard drive, as far as I could tell. Dish is replacing 322's and 222's via a passive migration. Meaning, if a customer calls in with issues, they're getting replaced with a 722 with the Hard Drive disabled.

The point I was making is, seems dumb to replace a 222 with the same box that still has a HD in it, but is disabled (The same way it's disabled on Commercial Hopper installs) and then put out a new Duo Tuner that needs refurbished 722 Hard Drives. Seems to me a lot of 722 Hard Drives are going to waste sitting in disabled boxes that replaced 322's and 222's. ANd why replace a 222 anyway?? Especially with the same damn receiver with a slightly different model number and a useless, wasted HD in it?

If anything, replace 612's and 622's. STILL the same Chasis but 612's having software issues and 622's being older than Claude Greiner is

You tell him he's thinking too hard, then write that. I got a headache reading your post. :)

Well, early this week, the DVR functionality on my activated ViP722k was somehow disabled, so Dish must have accidentally pushed out the software (or however they disable the hard drive) to it. I thought that the hard drive had died, so I reactivated a spare ViP612 that I had laying around to replace it. :eeek Functionally, the ViP722k with disabled DVR functionality was identical to the ViP222k, except that there was an annoying pop-up about the DVR functionality being disabled each time I tried to access the DVR. Then I realized there was one other difference: the DVR-disabled ViP722k still had the nine-day program guide, so at that point I knew the hard drive still worked. After leaving the ViP722k unplugged and disconnected from the satellite signal for about a day, I pulled the Smart Card out and re-inserted it, and then hooked the ViP722k back up in one last-ditch effort to get the DVR functionality working again. That actually worked, although I have no idea which step fixed the problem, or if it would have straightened itself out on its own. Talk about a headache!