Hopper Installation Training Materials

I agree that it would be nice to mix XiP & ViP units. The kids room is a good example. But I understand that Dish is under no obligation to offer such. Maybe it's to limit stacking. Maybe they have something else coming down the road.

A bit off topic, but is Direct as paranoid about stacking as Dish? Do they have audit nazis? I see stacking all the time in Canada, and even here in Florida, my Canadian neighbors are stacking their Star Choice just like they do at home up North.

I agree that it would be nice to mix XiP & ViP units. The kids room is a good example. But I understand that Dish is under no obligation to offer such. Maybe it's to limit stacking. Maybe they have something else coming down the road.
They have no obligation to do anything. That doesn't mean it isn't bad for consumers, especially when it's not technically necessary. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I see the business logic either, unless it's to squeeze the $200 upgrade fee for the 2nd Hopper.

n0qcu said:
Its not that it can't be done, it's that DISH won't allow mixed account's

Everyone needs to quit speculating over the mix and making declaritive statement. We do not know what dish will settle on and they are not going to screw over several thousand rv customers to suit their billing cycle. It would result in people swithing to direct.

We will know when we see they work orders. Until then it is unknown.

Next time I speak with a CSR I will ask what they have been trained to do.

Dish DID make the diagrams showing mix compatibility but until we know for sure guesses are just that.

Sent from my fingers.

Everyone needs to quit speculating over the mix and making declaritive statement. We do not know what dish will settle on and they are not going to screw over several thousand rv customers to suit their billing cycle. It would result in people swithing to direct.

Dish DID make the diagrams showing mix compatibility but until we know for sure guesses are just that.

Sent from my fingers.

It was stated during the Retailer Chat and confirmed by Scott that:
$100 for Existing customers to upgrade to Hopper / Joey

No Mixed ViP / Hopper setups.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...retailer-chat-recap-hopper-2.html#post2779713

Ok this is DUMB...

If you have a 211 and a tailgater and wants a Hopper setup you will need a seperate account for the 211 so you can use the Tailgeter.

This one is going to make some folks mad.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...retailer-chat-recap-hopper-4.html#post2779807

And in the Hopper questions thread
If you upgrade to Hopper you can only have Hopper / Joey equipment on your account. Meaning you would no longer be able to use your old ViP equipment.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/277988-questions-about-hopper-2.html#post2780101

Last edited:
As of yesterday it was OFFICIAL. No speculating involved and it matches what we were told by DISH execs at CES.

However with that said they have been watching the feedback here and are taking it under advisement and may change their rule before the Hopper is official available.

As of yesterday it was OFFICIAL. No speculating involved and it matches what we were told by DISH execs at CES.

However with that said they have been watching the feedback here and are taking it under advisement and may change their rule before the Hopper is official available.

I think they should make an exception, but they are doing the right thing in saying they won't allow it at this time. Even if they plan on changing the requirement, have programmers working on the billing system, and are printing new promo materials they should not even hint at it until the deal is done. Otherwise they'll have unhappy users who were "promised" something.

JM42 said:
I think they should make an exception, but they are doing the right thing in saying they won't allow it at this time. Even if they plan on changing the requirement, have programmers working on the billing system, and are printing new promo materials they should not even hint at it until the deal is done. Otherwise they'll have unhappy users who were "promised" something.

Agreed.

Also where was I yesterday?

I can't seem to find out about anything same day!

Sent from my fingers.

I will be getting two Hoppers and two Joeys. Due to the fact that the Hoppers will not communicate with each other at release time, I have a connection question for my desired set up. I would like to have a Hopper/Joey set up for the kids, and a Hopper/Joey set up for the better half and me. They will have their trimmers and recordings, and we will have ours. Two separate networks as Scott has stated. Will each respective Joey be connected to its Hopper through the Home Distribution port from the back of the Hopper, and not through the Duo Node. Sorry if this question seems dumb. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Sent from my fingers.

You can share the multiswitch with mixed systems (separate accounts) since it is before the node.

stimpson said:
I will be getting two Hoppers and two Joeys. Due to the fact that the Hoppers will not communicate with each other at release time, I have a connection question for my desired set up. I would like to have a Hopper/Joey set up for the kids, and a Hopper/Joey set up for the better half and me. They will have their trimmers and recordings, and we will have ours. Two separate networks as Scott has stated. Will each respective Joey be connected to its Hopper through the Home Distribution port from the back of the Hopper, and not through the Duo Node. Sorry if this question seems dumb. Thanks.

I went back through the training pics and answered my own question. I think. Each Hopper/Joey network will connect to the node with a Tap. Is that right?

I went back through the training pics and answered my own question. I think. Each Hopper/Joey network will connect to the node with a Tap. Is that right?

Joeys must connect to the node OR a tap off the Hopper's line to the node.

rglore said:
Joeys must connect to the node OR a tap off the Hopper's line to the node.

Yep. I see that now. So with my set up, and them being treated as two separate networks. I will have each Hopper/Joey connected to the node with a tap on each leg.

Last edited:
For those wanting to take a receiver tailgaiting, why not just take a Hopper? I know the hard drives are more likely to fail but Dish Network has a warranty for that. Or will it not work if the Hoppers are not connected together at the same dish?

The Hopper will not work with a Tailgater. You would have to have a Dish 1000.2 set up and probably need the node too. I'm not sure if the node is needed when only using the Hopper.

The only reason I even bring a TV tailgating is because of the Tailgater. It made setting up a TV so easy that I couldn't turn down doing it. If I had to go back to setting up a Dish 1000.2 on a tripod then it's not worth it for me.

The Hopper will not work with a Tailgater. You would have to have a Dish 1000.2 set up and probably need the node too. I'm not sure if the node is needed when only using the Hopper.

The only reason I even bring a TV tailgating is because of the Tailgater. It made setting up a TV so easy that I couldn't turn down doing it. If I had to go back to setting up a Dish 1000.2 on a tripod then it's not worth it for me.

Oh cmon it ain't that difficult. Do you install or have 1 of your peeps do it for you? If the latter then I understand your not geared that way.