Hopper & Joey questions?

Yea that was covered in another thread that EHDs from current receivers, except the 211K, would work on Hopper. My point was if the only way that Dish allows VIP gear on an account with Hopper is via 211k tailgaiter then the wife is going to be spitting bullets as my dear old aunt would say. She'll not be able to use current EHD from 722k with 211k

Oh. I see what you're saying.

And if that's the case someone at Dish is going to have to tell my wife she's loosing all her recordings while she's on the road. Oh and they'll do that once I've taken cover in a bunker somewhere. What the say about Redheads isn't just a rumor!!! :rant:

You may have to set up a 2nd account for the VIP in the RV.

I would think they would let you sign a waiver to keep a VIP or other receiver for the RV'ers. I wouldn't think that they would make you have another account for that.

Let's hope so because otherwise I can see this being the end to a long relationship with Dish. We have the Everything Pak and the wife absolutely will not hear of dropping a single thing, although most times she's watching HGTV, FOOD, DIY, and now OWN. But insists on having every other channel so that she can complain there is nothing good to watch on any of them. :rolleyes: Now there is no way that I'm going to even remotely consider having two accounts like that.

Can anyone tell me more about the remote? I'd like to still use an aftermarket programmable. My wife is very happy pushing one button to turn everything on and change inputs, etc.

So:
Model 40.0 Universal UHF/IR remote control using proprietary
ZigBee RF4CE profile (provided with every receiver)

I don't like the word "proprietary" in there. Is this just a typical IR/RF receiver or is there some magic with the ZigBee interface that's not going to allow an aftermarket remote to take it's place?

And for the Joeys, are we, again, stuck with UHF, so we can't use aftermarket receivers there either?

Thanks for any input.

BTW, the Hopper/Joey combo looks AWESOME. Love Dish, and have been WAITING FOREVER for HD in the bedroom without an additional Tuner.

Last edited:
Boy I'd really like to get more info on this topic from someone who has technical contacts. Seems what you are talking about wold work. If you think about the wiring drawings that have been shown they show 2/3 runs coming from the dish to the XIP node. Now if we think about this a minute the switch is incorporated in the 1000.2 and 1000.4 LNBFs which one would assume are what are being used in those drawings. Extrapolate that out to a current DPP44 setup and you would assume that you would feed 2/3 of the receiver feeds from the 44 to the XIP node. Even in a 2 hopper install that would leave 1 port that should allow attachment of another receiver say 722, which of course would not be able to partake in the Hoper's tuners nor whole house DVR but still would allow for a mixed environment.

Anyone got info to yea or nay if technically this would work?
It's preferred to use the DPP44's 2, 3 and/or 4 outputs to the XiP node. If you have to use output 1, the power inserter must be placed between the node and the switch.

From the perspective of "will it work," the answer is yes. "Will they allow it" is looking to have a quite different answer.

Schly,

The Hopper and Joey both can be set to work with an IR remote.

You may have to set up a 2nd account for the VIP in the RV.

I suppose if that is what I have to do to keep a VIP in my travel trailer when I get my Hopper/Joey setup I will do it, because I can afford it. But I hope that I would live long enough and be clever enough to make Dish see that that was one really stupid idea.

Then again, the second account might not work anyway. As it is now, the EHDs on my house 722K and 612 in the trailer can swap back and forth since they are on the same account so when we travel we take a bunch of the oldest shows and watch them while the house 722 timers continue recording current shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts