Hopper S217 Feedback

Here we are about 5 months after launch and it's still there . Frustrating to say the least. I understand that some bugs are difficult to eradicate but this seems to be a particularly troublesome one to fix.
is it considered a known issue by DIRT? something that you guys are reporting?

Four days until my Dish install (2H/2J to replace 1 HR-34/3 HR-24's) and am more concerned now about the switch from Directv to Dish. Seems as though, much like the HR-34's, the H/J are not ready for prime time and seem to be getting worse with every new SW release? Time is running short before I have to make a decision to cancel the install and stay with Directv....or bite the bullet and move forward with Dish. Thoughts?

OK question here I'm getting ready for the switch to hoppers...........before I do, Is the system stable without bridging, dlna, wireless anything else just to watch tv with the two hoppers and 3 joeys connected to on duo tap and able to see each other and the third hopper separate connected to the single tap thats all I want to know The way dish intended it to be installed. IS IT stable. Without all the bells and whistles turned on. I need a stable system not something that has to be rebooted daily.

Most of us are having a smooth running experience with Hopper/Joeys. There have been some issues with improper Internet connections not clearly explained to the customer and a few glitches with new features. I understand the sofware update coming this week is very stable. Don't be scared off, you'll love them.

Most of us are having a smooth running experience with Hopper/Joeys. There have been some issues with improper Internet connections not clearly explained to the customer and a few glitches with new features. I understand the sofware update coming this week is very stable. Don't be scared off, you'll love them.

Thank you people seem to be having alot of problems with these but they are also using features and stuff that I will never use. So I needed to know if the system really worked without playing around with all of the other features that actually make the unit unstable. And I have a significant other that gets pissed when they have to wait 5 mins for a box to reboot. And on here people seem to have to reboot there box's on a daily basis to make them work I cannot do that I have a 722 that I have not rebooted in 4 months. It may do it at night while I'm asleep but I've not manually rebooted it myself in 4 months.

Last edited:
Four days until my Dish install (2H/2J to replace 1 HR-34/3 HR-24's) and am more concerned now about the switch from Directv to Dish. Seems as though, much like the HR-34's, the H/J are not ready for prime time and seem to be getting worse with every new SW release? Time is running short before I have to make a decision to cancel the install and stay with Directv....or bite the bullet and move forward with Dish. Thoughts?

It has been reported here that version 220 has been pushed to some Dish employees, and is reported to be quite stable. Doesn't seem to add any bells or whistles, but is stable. That might be pushed to the masses in a few days.

..... And I have a significant other that gets pissed when they have to wait 5 mins for a box to reboot. And on here people seem to have to reboot there box's on a daily basis to make them work I cannot do that I have a 722 that I have not rebooted in 4 months. It may do it at night while I'm asleep but I've not manually rebooted it myself in 4 months.

Very few have to do that. In any event, it seems that problem is about to be largely solved.

I have a couple of ViP722 DVRs and I can't remember when I last rebooted them, with one exception on one of them a few weeks ago.

Installed last week and on sw 217. The few problems I have had have been me learning the setup. We have Sling and HIC both work great. Glad we made the switch.:D

This morning (Hopper on S217 and JOey on S268) I went to turn on the Joey in the bedroom and I had some funky pink, almost static like image on my TV. I thought it was the HDMI so I unplugged it from the TV and then plugged it back in and same thing. Cycled through the HDMI interfaces on my TV to reset on the TV side and I got a pink fuzzy screen with moments of the channel I had requested and then glitching like it wasnt in sync. I did a hard power reboot of the Joey and it found my Hopper and was fine after that.

Hopper has internet connected but bridging is disabled. I sure hope S220 fixes this Joey losing sync issue as it is one of the ones that irritates the wife.

Suddenly this weekend one of my Hoppers ran the initial setup wizzard and then ended up with all the settings back to their default values. This is the second time since I upgraded that it has done this. Whats even worse, when I try to use my EHD that has always worked since day one on this Hopper, I receive the error "To manage DISH recordings on your External Hard Drive this feature must be activated." I called Dish Support and was first told that no such message exists on the Hopper. Then I was told nothing can be done until a future software update. The same EHD works fine on my other Hopper. I really would like to use my EHD.

So, tonight (and the wife says it has been this way since the Olympics started) after PTAT should be over (11pm EDT) it appears that anything that is on the Big 4 non-Olympics cannot be recorded. It looks like since PTAT is extended until midnight for NBC it assumes everything else is recording on the spot beam, but if you want to record your evening news at 11 it puts an X on the recording and fails to record. If you manually select the CBS channel in our case at 11pm, and push the red record button it states recording in progress (again a lie). Does S220 fix this?

Thank you people seem to be having alot of problems with these ...

Remember, that as a general rule, happy people don't post that "everything is working great." (and wouldn't it get annoying if they all did?)

I have had a couple of minor issues, but have been very stable and happy with mine since it was installed months ago. I am sure that I am not alone. Don't get scared off by the (understandably) vocal minority of people who are having problems.

Remember, that as a general rule, happy people don't post that "everything is working great." (and wouldn't it get annoying if they all did?)

I have had a couple of minor issues, but have been very stable and happy with mine since it was installed months ago. I am sure that I am not alone. Don't get scared off by the (understandably) vocal minority of people who are having problems.
This is true but it is still scary to see the problems. I just saw somewhere 30 to 1 ratio on complaints over good comments.

This is true but it is still scary to see the problems. I just saw somewhere 30 to 1 ratio on complaints over good comments.

And just for clarification I was super happy with my setup on pre-S213 builds. It has gone significantly downhill since S213. Hopefully they will right the ship with S221, but the jury remains out on that one.

Ok guys they are comming tommorrow to install three hoppers and 4 joeys I have the third hopper sitting on my dining room table how long you think it will take? And before you ask I got permission from dish networks equiptment authorization team to have three hoppers and blah to to blah to blah they even looked at my house from space. The guy even goes "nice front door". I didn't know the pictures where that detailed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts