Dish dispute with Sinclair...reached deal in principle

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
This is starting to really get old! I'm sitting here watching my local news and I get a scrolling message across the top of my screen saying that this channel (WTVC in Chattanooga) will no longer be available on Dish after August 16th. What is the deal with this company? I appreciate the fact that they fight to keep our rates low. But at some point something's got to give. I've learned to deal with the fact that I can't watch ESPNU in HD (along with Disney and Fueltv). And I wasn't happy losing AMC, but the fact I really only watched one show on that channel, the free Roku helped with that issue. But I cannot handle losing my local channels. Especially with the new tv season approaching. I wonder how many pennies this squabble is over? I really hope this gets worked out. I love my Hopper and the technology that Dish offers but I think I would have to change providers if there's no ABC. I wonder if Dish would provide an ABC from another market in its place?

interesting.....that station is owned by Sinclair....they've got a bunch of stations (including my local CW)

hmmmm.....

from your local's website

Information on Dish Negotiations

Attention Dish Network Subscribers: Beginning August 16th, this station no longer expects to be carried by the Dish Network. We apologize for this inconvenience and suggest Dish subscribers make alternative arrangements to ensure their continued ability to watch this station.

We will continue to be available from DirectTV, your local cable company, AT&T U-Verse / Verizon FIOS, and over the air. It is only Dish subscribers who may no longer be able to watch this station on Dish after August 15th. For more information, please click here or contact Dish at 1-888-926-5457 to tell them you want this station. Thank you!

I'm not seeing anything on my local CW about it

uh oh....Looks like Sinclair and Dish are at it again

from the CBS in Sat Lake City (also owned by them)....same verbiage

R0ss said:
OP has a Hopper...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

So? With an OTA antenna on his TV he may lose nothing.

navychop said:
Try an OTA antenna.

I actually have an antenna that I used with my old 722, but not on the hopper. I do have my antenna run directly into my tv which will help some. But with our hectic family schedule I rarely get to watch a program when it airs. About 98% of the shows we watch are recorded on the DVR.

here are the stations affected

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 943
ironically I looked on my local CW (WUCW) and they had the same issue 3 years ago...stations were pulled in May 2009

from that article
As a result of the upcoming termination of our existing contract with Dish Network on May 31, 2009, this station may no longer be carried by Dish beginning on June 1st. Although we have been negotiating with Dish to avoid this situation, because of certain positions taken by Dish Network we do not believe we will be able to enter into a new agreement and, as a result, Dish will drop carriage of this station.

so what do we say? 2nd verse same as the 1st ;)

ABC programming on Hulu via Roku should cover you for the duration of any dispute. Have Dish credit you the monthly $$ for Hulu+ or DNLA stream it from a PC to Roku for free. Disputes with locals seem to be resolved much quicker than with national cable channels because locals are so important to subs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the station list Iceberg.

It's a pain, but seems like all carriers are going through these disputes. These local disputes on the whole don't last too long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)