Hopper S217 Feedback

Yamaha RX-A3000. It only started doing this after 217. Plus, I don't normally use the AVR for standard TV watching, so it stays powered off. (The signal does pass thru, tho.)

Hmm. Denon 3801 here but I use it for all TV Audio and Video switching.

Trying to watch the olympics tonight via PTAT and getting Hopper freeze ups during the women's gymnastics. Right now I think #NBCfail should be replaced by #Hopperfail. I don't want to RBR the Hopper as I got things recording on all 3 tuners at the moment. COME ON DISH!!! I did not buy an application server, I bought a frigging DVR that should be able to record and watch TV. Get that part right before trying to add applications I will never use.

Edit to Add, it looks like the Hopper finally figured out PTAT was hosed as it looks like it just did a soft reset and I lost an hour of recording of the Olympics. It started a second PTAT recording for tonight on NBC which we can watch now, but the wife is NOT happy that we lost an hour of the recording.

Last edited:
Trying to watch the olympics tonight via PTAT and getting Hopper freeze ups during the women's gymnastics. Right now I think #NBCfail should be replaced by #Hopperfail. I don't want to RBR the Hopper as I got things recording on all 3 tuners at the moment. COME ON DISH!!! I did not buy an application server, I bought a frigging DVR that should be able to record and watch TV. Get that part right before trying to add applications I will never use.
Exact same thing here. One small hiccup in the signal and all but one PTAT channel are lost. The NBC switched to ABC. I freed up a tuner to manually record it, but the hopper won't let you. It thinks it's recording already via PTAT. I may have to turn off PTAT until they get these issues worked out.

Another new 217 bug I kept forgetting to post is that almost always when I power up from standby, I have no audio. If I change the channel, then audio returns.

When I power mine Hopper on (wake, I suppose), I have unusually loud audio. Then when I change a channel, it goes back to normal and stays there. Doesn't matter the channel. I use a Pioneer VSX-918. Also today, I had to do a RBR. My Hopper and Joey both froze at the same time. Both playing different live tv stations, not DVR. RBR of Hopper fixed. On 217.

Edit, also losing favorite channels, and usually it won't let me add them back.

Last edited:

Edit to Add, it looks like the Hopper finally figured out PTAT was hosed as it looks like it just did a soft reset and I lost an hour of recording of the Olympics. It started a second PTAT recording for tonight on NBC which we can watch now, but the wife is NOT happy that we lost an hour of the recording.

At least your's restarted a second recording. Mine froze and hour into the Olympics and won't let me get past the point it froze. Did 217 hose PTA?

At least your's restarted a second recording. Mine froze and hour into the Olympics and won't let me get past the point it froze. Did 217 hose PTA?

Mine was acting the same way but I was trying all kinds of things like going into the tuner list and selecting the NBC PTAT stream but it kept going to a black screen with Live TV in the top right. I then tried to select the live PTAT CBS stream for Person of Interest and it started playing the ABC show NY Med. No matter what I selected the ABC stream was all that would play. After about 15-20 minutes I was watching the front lights and the red recording light was lit, but the green light showing it was powered on blinked off, then a second or two later turned back on. I went back to the tuner menu and at first nothing was showing as recording, but slowly tuner 1 showed the recording in progress, followed by tuner 2, then PTAT on tuner three filled back in. After that happened I went back to the PTAT folder and saw that another Olympics file was created which played fine. The original file was still hosed at the same point and we lost an hour of the Women's Gymnastics.

Mine was acting the same way but I was trying all kinds of things like going into the tuner list and selecting the NBC PTAT stream but it kept going to a black screen with Live TV in the top right. I then tried to select the live PTAT CBS stream for Person of Interest and it started playing the ABC show NY Med. No matter what I selected the ABC stream was all that would play. After about 15-20 minutes I was watching the front lights and the red recording light was lit, but the green light showing it was powered on blinked off, then a second or two later turned back on. I went back to the tuner menu and at first nothing was showing as recording, but slowly tuner 1 showed the recording in progress, followed by tuner 2, then PTAT on tuner three filled back in. After that happened I went back to the PTAT folder and saw that another Olympics file was created which played fine. The original file was still hosed at the same point and we lost an hour of the Women's Gymnastics.
The only way I got around it was to RBR and then it finally let me manually begin recording anything that was originally set up as PTAT.

The only way I got around it was to RBR and then it finally let me manually begin recording anything that was originally set up as PTAT.

The odd thing was that it did not perform a full soft reset, i.e. I never got the Hopper starting screen or Searching for Satellite Signal. It just seemed to reset the PTAT / recordings almost like it did a core dump and restarted the processes. If anyone knows what counters that may be associated with I will check it out when I get home. I did not take a look at the tuner 1 and 2 recordings from this time to see if they had the same two file session.

Let's see now. Could NBC be imbedding a signal that "upsets" PTAT? We can get a good conspiracy theory going out of this. ;)

Exact same thing here. One small hiccup in the signal and all but one PTAT channel are lost. The NBC switched to ABC. I freed up a tuner to manually record it, but the hopper won't let you. It thinks it's recording already via PTAT. I may have to turn off PTAT until they get these issues worked out.

I had weirdness with my NBC PTAT recording last night also. It wouldn't start over (about 1 hour in at the time) or resume live no matter how I tries to access the recording/channel. I got a black screen. Then it gave me a 'buy' screen for the movie LOL. I rebooted to get things working normally. This is the 1st time I've had an issue with freezes.

1H/2J

I had weirdness with my NBC PTAT recording last night also. It wouldn't start over (about 1 hour in at the time) or resume live no matter how I tries to access the recording/channel. I got a black screen. Then it gave me a 'buy' screen for the movie LOL. I rebooted to get things working normally. This is the 1st time I've had an issue with freezes.

1H/2J

Welcome to Hopper in the post S212 world.

Having problems with one of my hoppers freezing up and I have to reset it by red button on front or unplugging it. Now having problems with watching programs from one hopper to another hopper. Hope dish gets this fixed. Didn't have this problems tell I got S217 update.

Thanks,

John

Having problems with one of my hoppers freezing up and I have to reset it by red button on front or unplugging it. Now having problems with watching programs from one hopper to another hopper. Hope dish gets this fixed. Didn't have this problems tell I got S217 update.

Thanks,

John

Might make sure you have bridging enable.. Seems sometimes with updates they set things back to defaults which bridging is disable.Also are you using a HIC or do you have Ethernet connection plugged into one of the Hoppers?? Also make sure to run your Broadband Test as well from Network Settings to see if they both pass.

The default setting has been set to disabled. You can turn it back on. Here are the steps on how to do this.

Yellow Hot Key
Select Network
Select Broadband
Select MoCA from drop down
Blue Hot Key twice.

Last edited:
Want to report that Pandora audio is being dropped frequently...Am going to try a re-set as just powering down is not bringing back the audia.