Hopper S217 Feedback

I posted a few pages back - switching from D (an HR-34 and 3 HR-24's) to E (2H/2J). Install is August 10th. Am I making a mistake? Seems like the Hoppers/Joeys are becoming more unstable as updates are forced.

I think there are many people on these forums with unconventional set ups (2 Hoppers+ etc.) that are not very representative of Dish users overall. I have a one Hopper one Joey set up and have had virtually no issues at all.

I think there are many people on these forums with unconventional set ups (2 Hoppers+ etc.) that are not very representative of Dish users overall. I have a one Hopper one Joey set up and have had virtually no issues at all.
There are many here whom have "conventional" setups (1 Hopper, 1-2 Joeys) and are having DVR lockups, too. Are they representative of "Dish users overall"? Perhaps not (only Dish customer service would know). I've been with Dish for 2 weeks and I'm already on my second Hopper. And it has issues with releasing 17% of the hard drive back for my usage. And Dish refuses to fix it (instead, they lie to me). Am I regretting coming to Dish? Not yet...but my patience is running thin. VERY thin.

Really???!!! 2 Hoppers unconventional????? I do believe that was one of Dishes marketing points was the 2 Hopper integration since the start. It wasn't anything they added to the set up after the fact. Not saying the Hopper integration is not causing some of these issues, but to call multiple Hopper installs unconventional.:rolleyes:

I have two Hoppers and three Joeys, installed the day of release, 3/15/12. The only issue I have had involves closed captioning. Closed captioning disappears after skipping through commercials (skip back once or twice to get captioning back), and while using Hopper 1 to watch DVR content from Hopper 2, I can never get closed captioning to work.

Hopper Installs themselves are unconventional. I install for a living.. And still today, the 722 or 222 are the most conventional. People like getting the two for one deal. HD is secondary to cost to most of my customers. Not me.. I love HD in every room..

I have two Hoppers and three Joeys, installed the day of release, 3/15/12. The only issue I have had involves closed captioning. Closed captioning disappears after skipping through commercials (skip back once or twice to get captioning back), and while using Hopper 1 to watch DVR content from Hopper 2, I can never get closed captioning to work.
That's pretty good. It's the only instance I've heard of zero reboots, zero disconnects between Joey and Hopper, zero lockups, zero Favorites guide issues, zero ffd/skip issues. Pretty nice.

I, too, have the CC issue. But, that's extremely minor compared to some of the above that I am experiencing.

Is everyone having problems confirming that their broadband network connection is correctly set up? One HIC on a Joey coax or one Ethernet plugged into one Hopper with bridging enabled.

Really???!!! 2 Hoppers unconventional????? I do believe that was one of Dishes marketing points was the 2 Hopper integration since the start. It wasn't anything they added to the set up after the fact. Not saying the Hopper integration is not causing some of these issues, but to call multiple Hopper installs unconventional.:rolleyes:

I think it's a reference to installers here commenting on how rarely they install 2 Hoppers at a location. Seems very few people order that. But SatGuys, of course, are ordering that. And then we want to connect all sorts of other things, too!

Had my first RBR last night. The video was stuck on a recording we were previously viewing, but the channels and their audio did change as we changed them. All has been fine since the reset...

I've had no real issues in a 2H/2J system, connected via HIC.

Outside of Hopper-to-Hopper sharing, both hoppers have been very, very solid. I haven't had any sort of lock up or reboot with general viewing in months. Very early on there were a couple of spontaneous issues, but none for a looong time. Never had morning lockups, connection issues, or any of the other common complaints. The one ongoing issue is occasionally hopper will not connect with one of my EHDs(I have two) after the nightly reboot, maybe one day a week or so(maybe less), unplugging/replugging the EHD will fix it.

I do have a recipe that will cause issues when using Hopper-to-Hopper sharing, watching two live/nearly live PTAT events from the remote Hopper and pausing/swapping back and forth between them. Hopper seems to lose track of what it should be displaying at times, sometimes mixed video/audio, sometimes black screen. Almost always can now recover it without a reboot though.

Never had a moca-wired Joey connection issue. I've done extensive testing of cat5 and wireless, running several weeks on each. Never had a cat5 wired Joey connection issue. Only Joey connection issue was re-aquiring the wireless signal if the router reboots, considering it's not officially supported I can forgive it. Currently back to all moca-wired operation now, the network tests were more from curiosity than need.

Only Joey issue I recall is a lock up twice while using the browse banners. Locked hard and required a front panel reset. It's been a while now, but I wouldn't claim it as fixed, the two times before were quite a while apart. Also, occasionally Joey will not come out of standby for an IR remote.

Outside of H2H sharing, Hopper/Joey overall have been as stable as my 722/722k's were, especially if you factor out the first two or three weeks.

Three times since 217 have I had an issue. Joey disconnects from hopper. Usually if I just turn it off until the next morning all is fine but this morning I turned on bedroom Joey and it was not finding the Hopper. Unplugged to reset and still same issue. Went to family room Hopper and found no lights. Power on did not work, red button reset and when finished, Hopper went back off. Power on worked this time and after network configured, Joey was fine. Now while this may be a small issue in the big picture; if I was gone for a few days (as I will be soon) and this occurred I potentially would not receive any scheduled recordings and then it becomes a major issue in the basic fundamental operation of any DVR. Just my two cents.....

edit:
One Hopper and one Joey. Bridging enabled, Hopper only connected to Ethernet and Joey coaxial only. Also tried Bridging disabled, both Hopper and Joey connected Ethernet. Same issue both ways.

Last edited:
edit:
One Hopper and one Joey. Bridging enabled, Hopper only connected to Ethernet and Joey coaxial only. Also tried Bridging disabled, both Hopper and Joey connected Ethernet. Same issue both ways.
what happens if you disconnect all the ethernet?

Last night I decided to watch a recording from the basement hopper on the hopper in the bedroom and I was surprised when there was no audio. I pulled up the shows on the basement hopper while I was in the basement this morning and there was audio, go figure. Both of the hopper's were working perfectly sharing audio and video and both are on S217, this must be a recent bug because both hoppers have been on in the past two mornings when I have gotten up.

Good point, I have no idea but I will certainly try that while I am out of town. Maybe even this evening just to assure no issues.
that helped some people when the s213 issues first showed up. Worth a shot anyways.

This is getting SUPER ANNOYING. Every day now since the 217 update, sometimes twice a day, out of nowhere Joey goes to black screen and freezes. After that Joey needs a reboot. When rebooting Joey, Hopper Freezes and needs a reboot... and/or just the Hopper itself will freeze up. This is getting ridiculous. On top of that, the wife is complaining about the system and wanting the 722k/211 back. And since day one the joey constantly gives me the "you must be in live mode to do this" message when changing channels (yes I am in live mode already). I am hoping the next update comes soon and fixes these issues. If not it looks like I'll be going back to the old system I guess. 722k/211 just worked. Nothing super fancy like the Hopper system but man the thing just worked and I want something that works at this point.

Jay