Hopper S229 / S230 Feedback!

Maybe I should have added one of these :wacko: or some other :crazy: smiley to make my intended point clear? The sentiment is the opposite of what you took it as. Unless you doing a double reverse [sarcasm]?

lol...... Like my wife would say to me....... you ass! lol Sorry........

What is all this talk/hype for OTA with this update? I have S222, no addons, and have OTA channels here in CHicago with my package I have. Are some people living in areas and using packages that dont have OTA? Never had any issue receiving any OTA here in Chicago, just using my Hopper.

gizbug said:
What is all this talk/hype for OTA with this update? I have S222, no addons, and have OTA channels here in CHicago with my package I have. Are some people living in areas and using packages that dont have OTA? Never had any issue receiving any OTA here in Chicago, just using my Hopper.

You are misunderstanding what OTA is. We are talking HD over an off air antenna. Not satellite based locals.

Dish needs to do what DirecTV does. It is real simple.
Every Fridays night from 11 to 2am et. Anyone can download the latest. You just hit reset and then push 0 2 4 6 8
Those behind in updates can catch up then.
Dish needs set this up for just us sat guys. We can also help test.

[absurd][sarcasm][hyperbole]

I'm getting tired of the complaining about having multiple Hoppers with different software versions and the resulting "broken" system. You should know after reading this forum that sometimes DISH releases software in stages and this has resulted in unintended consequences. You need to just sit and wait quietly for the fixed S/W to be spooled to you.

[/hyperbole][/sarcasm][/absurd]

Last edited:
I do not agree. Dish needs to do what DirecTV does. It is real simple.
Every Fridays night from 11 to 2am et. Anyone can download the latest. You just hit reset and then push 0 2 4 6 8
Those behind in updates can catch up then.
Dish needs set this up for just us sat guys. We can also help test.

Some folks have never seen a point made by a sarcastic absurd one filled with hyperbole? We need a :rightoverthehead: smiley. :)

I didn't have any Rentals, the empty folder just showed up after the 230 update and it hasn't gone away.

I'm under the assumption that this folder never goes away now because if you have multiple hoppers the VOD content is now shared between the Hoppers.

(example Hopper #1 downloads VOD content (PPV, HBOOD, EPIX, USA, any of the other 96 VOD channels), Hopper #2 can view the content without reordering/downloading said content by opening up the VOD folder)

Has anyone noticed any previously deleted movies/tv shows prior to S229/S230 coming back from being deleted prior to having a "recycle bin"? I know for certain I deleted episode 1 of WWE Main Event (considering the next episode on my DVR was episode 5) and a movie that I recorded from HBO.

Last edited:
We'll all have it soon!:D
Ghpr13:)

soon? ?[soon]
adverb, soon·er, soon·est.
1. within a short period after this or that time, event, etc.
2. before long; in the near future; at an early date:
3. promptly or quickly

I'm tired of hearing that word just like when I was a kid and asked some one for an explanation of something and the only answer I got was "because". Soon is not an answer either. I will now stand by to get beat up by the bullies on the board here.

I have to figure out the different verbiage of the timers since what's the difference between a autotune and simply just recording a channel for a selected timeframe? Does the system always check the update exactly at 1AM PDT? Since wouldn't the other way basically to do a autotune at the time after it finishes rebooting and then the box will stay on from that point on?

Last week, after the suggestion from lucky86, I set a daily auto-tune timer for 2:00AM which worked fine. Ofcourse, ever since Friday, November 23, 2012 with the daily 2:00AM auto-tune timer, it is at standby when I turn the TV on at 11AM. There is a autotune timer for 2:00AM daily including Saturday and Sunday and even today but even when I turned the TV on 10 minutes ago at 3:45AM, it was on the stand-by mode as well. The inactivity timer is already disabled, am I setting the auto-tune at the wrong time to keep the box in non-standby mode after rebooting?

You are misunderstanding what OTA is. We are talking HD over an off air antenna. Not satellite based locals.

Here is a question I've been meaning to ask about OTA. I know with Cable companies, they get the HD and locals via a fiber optic digital connection but how does Directv and DISH get the locals into their system and is there a reason why they can't just carry all the local HD channels since cable/satellite should already include what one is supposed to get for free, instead of having these additional investments. I have my OTA Tuner for the Hopper sitting here except I'm trying to find the longest range indoor antenna available but haven't found anything yet. I came from Directv as well with a install on 11/17/2012.

Last week, after the suggestion from lucky86, I set a daily auto-tune timer for 2:00AM which worked fine. Ofcourse, ever since Friday, November 23, 2012 with the daily 2:00AM auto-tune timer, it is at standby when I turn the TV on at 11AM. There is a autotune timer for 2:00AM daily including Saturday and Sunday and even today but even when I turned the TV on 10 minutes ago at 3:45AM, it was on the stand-by mode as well. The inactivity timer is already disabled, am I setting the auto-tune at the wrong time to keep the box in non-standby mode after rebooting?

I have a timer set for daily for DISH 101 for 3:30 am till 4:00am . It means my tv has to do it's daily reboot every day BEFORE 3:30am . This has worked to keep my wife happy ,because she gets up by 3:20am each day she works and she wants to watch tv. I still get my daily reboots and guide information and auto hop and I have both hoppers on S230 software.

I have a timer set for daily for DISH 101 for 3:30 am till 4:00am . It means my tv has to do it's daily reboot every day BEFORE 3:30am . This has worked to keep my wife happy ,because she gets up by 3:20am each day she works and she wants to watch tv. I still get my daily reboots and guide information and auto hop and I have both hoppers on S230 software.

Wow, 3:30AM? I didn't think it can take that long since doesn't it do the automatic nightly update checking at 1:00AM-1:30AM? How long does it take after that since I already gave it 30 minutes.

Almighty1 said:
Here is a question I've been meaning to ask about OTA. I know with Cable companies, they get the HD and locals via a fiber optic digital connection but how does Directv and DISH get the locals into their system and is there a reason why they can't just carry all the local HD channels since cable/satellite should already include what one is supposed to get for free, instead of having these additional investments. I have my OTA Tuner for the Hopper sitting here except I'm trying to find the longest range indoor antenna available but haven't found anything yet. I came from Directv as well with a install on 11/17/2012.

I think some actually have fiber, some I guess would uplink it. Comcast in some areas actually gets the local OTA feed from an antenna at a local center, then transmits to customers. Kinda funny.

I think some actually have fiber, some I guess would uplink it. Comcast in some areas actually gets the local OTA feed from an antenna at a local center, then transmits to customers. Kinda funny.

I thought they just did it OTA and then sell it back to us. Comcast atleast in San Francisco is the only one other than OTA that gets all the KQED channel 9 HD and digital stations while both Directv and Dish only seems to get the regular and non-HD channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)