Hopper w Sling s/w U243 4/10/2018 breaks Trick-Play

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
Denver, Co
This is in the H3 s/w thread. But is a serious bug specific to the HWS with this new software.

Both my H1’s were updated to U122. Skip forward, skip back, fast forward, fast back are all screwed up! Screen says 30 seconds on skip forward but it’s more like 10 seconds. Now takes 3 presses of skip forward to skip over a 30 second commercial instead of one press. Try to go back and it skips FORWARD some more! Totally useless. Pressing stop at the end of viewing a show doesn’t work. This is all while viewing a show stored on the second H1 from the first H1. Fast forward barely advances despite being at 300x.

I'm having this trouble on my HWS (new s/w with the new icons). The trick play is a mess.

Same as the original poster, I only see the problem when playing a recording from my "other" HWS. I haven't seen the problem playing local recordings. Tried a reboot of both boxes. No help.

This is a critical function for a 2 box household.

The HWS has been a disaster since "Carbon". I've been avoiding the "upgrade" from 2x HWS to 1x H3 due to the annoyance of having to lose about 150 timers. This one will throw me over the edge.

Sigh. Dish should just recall this box. Carbon has rendered it more unstable then my WebTV Dishplayer from 20 years ago. And, it seems to be worse with each new s/w version.

Reactions: TheKrell
Sigh.

Which snake pit do I want to deal with? Maybe it’s time to reconsider FiOS.

No FiOS in my hood. I'm jealous. Actually Ting is just starting to pull Fiber in my area (Centennial, Co). I'm still thinking it could be a year to 2 before they get to my house.

A stack of 20 HDD's filled with TV and Movies and a general hate for Comcast keeps my somewhat stuck to Dish. Not sure where this is heading. The future is really streaming. Well, I'll have $215/month available to play with to buy lots of ala cart programming.

I have several EHDs, so I figure if I leave Dish, it will begin with returning the MBR HWS and dropping to the minimum for a year or so, watching everything we want off the EHDs.

There’s just been too many problems with Dish s/w lately. And my MBR HWS is failing. Time to price out how much extra I’m paying vice a Verizon FiOS triple play. Dish has squandered the best hardware and system with poor s/w updates and miserable beta testing.

With the trick play problem when viewing from a second Hopper, are they TRYING to get us to move to a single H3 and Joey? Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re NOT out to get you! :D

Can I even downgrade to the Welcome pack?

Reactions: pattykay
I need to see reviews on FiOS boxes. And get final price. But looking very tempting.

Fios boxes work great. No complaints here. I left Fios for Comcast they offered me a great deal but the equipment sucks and the internet sucks plus the wife and daughter are pretty mad at me for switching. So it looks like back to Fios for me . Triple play with gig service is reasonable price. I don’t remember if there is a red recording light.

Fios boxes work great. No complaints here. I left Fios for Comcast they offered me a great deal but the equipment sucks and the internet sucks plus the wife and daughter are pretty mad at me for switching. So it looks like back to Fios for me . Triple play with gig service is reasonable price. I don’t remember if there is a red recording light.

Which FiOS boxes did you get? I asked for minimum 6 tuner, but I think they proposed the 12 tuner to of the bill. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Thanks for reminding me to ask about the recording in progress light. Who knows, it might be blue!

I’ll have to find a Verizon office where I can play with their equipment.

Oddly, Verizon doesn’t have the Weather Channel. They have Accuweather, though. More than good enough?

I might cut my Dish bill by eighty bucks or so, and pay Verizon about $178, up from the $108 I pay now. Or I might get that $108 cut.

I was happy with my ViP722 units. But the Hopper was much better. Was. But I still wouldn’t go back.

If I go with FiOS and just watch Dish EHD material, I might not post so much here anymore.

It was the newer one I think Arris made it . I had the 12 tuners . 2 Dvrs each has 6 tuners.Picture was very good and boxes were quick. The guide was good. I was happy with it .

Reactions: navychop
Looks like I cut Dish about $90 by going to one HWS, dropping from T250 to Welcome, dropping Protection. Then increase Verizon bill about $70. When the Dish EHD material has been watched, savings will go from about $20/month to $55/month.

Does FiOS have an equivalent to Dish Anywhere? So we can remotely watch on iPhones and iPads?

Yes they have a Fios app . You can watch different programs pretty much like the dish app . I didn’t use it much but when I did it worked great.

Reactions: navychop
Yes . It works fine. Xfinity just went down again . Had to unplug and reboot the system seems like every day I have to do this. Fios was rock solid internet and tv . I still have Dish and I do like my hopper 3 . Put I will be returning to Fios in the next week.

Duh. At this point, I guess we really should have started a different thread.
yea. I was hoping to use this thread to discuss this bug. I'll be contacting dish soon.

This is really unacceptable.
Is's an unbelievable bug for a software release.

Are any Hopper 1 or Hopper 2 people not seeing this problem (trick play busted between hoppers)?

Well, I’m afraid this is Goodbye Dish time. My LR HWS is on 242, the old s/w. My upstairs MBR HWS got 243.

Believe me, the complaints posted do not begin to describe the problems. We started watching a program downstairs, and went upstairs to finish it in the MBR. Sad. It skips to where it wants. Can’t FF or REV to find the spot to resume. It eventually freezes. Turning off the HWS and waiting, then turning it back on- only works for a very short time. And you must start over, because resume doesn’t work. Even then, you have to be very careful in FF, and you still won’t get where you want. You’ll stop it, and it will jump way ahead or way back. And eventually freeze. God forbid you try to skip or FF thru commercials. It will go where it wants. We had to give up. And turn it off. I hope we can finish it downstairs.

DISH: Get real. ONLY AN INCOMPETENT IDIOT COULD POSSIBLY RELEASE THIS S/W.. It’s that bad.

This is from a once loyal customer, of many years. One who has never taken a freebie, who has NEVER asked for a discount. WHOEVER AUTHORIZED THIS RELEASE SHOULD BE FIRED! FIRED!

My Dish service has been degraded consistently. The CUI is CRAP! We’ve lost functionality, such as rolling over timers to the “other” Hopper when the first one is too busy. We’ve lost 4X FF, some slow motion. Has Charlie made deals to degrade our service?

Sorry, this is IT! If this CRAP isn’t fixed in the next few weeks, I’m off to FiOS. THEIR SOFTWARE WORKS!. And there will be no going back. We’ll watch a few EHD programs of importance, and after downgrading service for a while, dump Dish.

I’ve come to realize that much of what we’ve put on EHDs is available at no extra cost on FiOS.

PISSED? You’re damn right I’m pissed. Too many downgrades. Just move to the H3 and most or all of these problems will go away? Do you think I’m an IDIOT? Dish will just throw more problems our way. I now think Dish is utterly incompetent. For MONTHS we have had nothing but degradation of service.

Yes, I’m emotional. But I believe I’ve been screwed by Dish. Maybe for the last time.

FiOS, the high cost provider, is cheaper and provides more service. For, on total, for over $50/month less once I dump Dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts