Hopper With Sling, Optical Audio Cutting Out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tried using 2 different soundbars, also tried with same soundbar - both had audio drop out in BR location with 2 different hoppers. I would think it was the cable from the node except that the Joey played fine when I tried it, no drop out. And I've also tried several different toslink cables, no difference.

That's just bizarre. Really doesn't make sense. Could it be the specific content that's being played back? Or maybe it has something to do with the display (different resolution coming off the HDMI).

Just connected by toslink from Dish box directly to soundbar (both rooms are same).

It makes no sense & that's why I'm trying to troubleshoot. I can watch either hopper in the BR & have any recorded program have audio drop out (Live is OK), but LR has no problems. I've removed/re-tightened the cable at the node, so that's not it either.

I'm out of ideas - thanks!

It sounds like the hoppers don't like the equipment in you BR for some reason. Is the sound system in each location EXACTLY the SAME (exact same models of everything, same connections used)? If not something in the sound equipment chain in the BR must be different than your LR and is not playing nice with the optical out of your Hopper. I also have this problem in my bedroom only, but my Family Room Hopper is connected by HDMI cable so it is not a fair comparison. My BR system is connected by Toslink and that is where I have my problem with audio dropouts. I am using the HDMI splitter until a fix is done.

I agree - went back & played with settings again - Vizio sb is only supposed to be PCM & has always worked on that setting ONLY.
My LR hopper is set for Dolby & the Vizio sb is playing with no issues, never worked on that setting before.

BR hopper set on Dolby has NO audio at all with same Vizio sb, is now working with PCM setting. Tried the new Yamaha sb on Dolby in BR & there are audio dropouts, with PCM no audio dropouts.

?What's interesting is that if I connect the Yamaha sb in LR using Dolby I have no audio dropout - why is it only happening in the BR?

If you want to experiment a bit you could try switching out the cables between the two setups. Take the cables fr the bedroom to the LR and vice versa. If no change you know it's not cables. Then you could switch the SBs around to see if any different. Troubleshoot one thing at a time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I finally gave up on 5.1 audio. The inconvenience became unbearable. I now use the 2 channel audio fed back from my TV. I don't think Dish knows what to do about this or it would of been fixed months ago. I kick myself for upgrading and signing a new 2 year contract. I like the Hopper and it's features but this is ridiculous. I will just deal with it and in about 2 years go shopping for another company who has equipment that works.

You might consider an inexpensive used or refurb Hdmi receiver. There is also the Hdmi switcher we have been discussing for about $45 from Monoprice. Especially if you otherwise like the service and the Hopper.

Maybe Dish should reimburse us, the customer, for having to buy additional items to make their receiver work the way it was meant to - I'm still really frustrated with this situation & the idea of spending more to correct their mistake is not something I'm willing to do - should have been fixed by now.

I hate to do it, but I may buy the HDMI audio splitter from Monoprice. I looked at it and would like to have some advice.

1. Is it Product ID 10251 ?
2. Does it pass HDMI audio and video to my TV and at the same time Optical Audio to my Sony Receiver?

Wouldn't it be nice if Dish would give me over $90 (2 tv's) to cover the cost of splitters? Never gonna happen, since they aren't even willing to discount my monthly bill for their mistake . . . if older 722's can work correctly, so should Hoppers.
?
Looks like this has been happening in one way or another since December - that's over 10 months & they still can't seem to fix it, & I've got months to go on this contract extension since I upgraded from Hopper to HWS. Frustrated!

I hate to do it, but I may buy the HDMI audio splitter from Monoprice. I looked at it and would like to have some advice.

1. Is it Product ID 10251 ?
2. Does it pass HDMI audio and video to my TV and at the same time Optical Audio to my Sony Receiver?

If it is like the one I have it splits the video and audio from your hdmi feed. It sends the video out you your TV/monitor via Hdmi and sends audio out through optical cable to your decoder.

Sounds like that would work. Dish should reimburse you for the equipment.

You would have to check your user agreement but I don't believe Dish implies any warranty that their equipment will work with your equipment. Legacy connections are frequently abandoned by many equipment manufacturers. There is also generally less support available for legacy connections. Let's face it optical is a legacy connection. I was trying to watch a movie recorded during the free Starz preview using my Hdmi switcher setup and the Hopper would not allow me to. When I hit "Start over" I got a warning telling me that my connection did not support HDCP and I must connect directly in order to continue. I had to take the switcher out of the loop to continue. The movie played fine after that except I lost audio when I was fast forwarding through the previews. That is the risk of using legacy equipment I guess.

I don't think it works with anyone's optical equipment. And yes, they are legally required to fix it.

It worked okay a few months ago, and then they had a software update. My equipment stayed the same and the hopper's optical audio stopped working.

I don't care anymore because I did a work around. If it were affecting my service I would be on the phone with the VP of Consumer Service or just start deducting from the monthly bill.

Last edited:
I use the Toslink input to my AV receiver.

I just realized that when I got my Toshiba TV in 2007, I found that I could use HDMI connections from several input devices and use the Toslink
output from the Toshiba to feed my Sony AV receiver. The Dolby 5.1 works fine.

This is troubling to read. I've never had issues with my 722s, just upgraded to Hoppers and I think I have this issue.
This thread has been going on since July and it hasn't been resolved.....

Oy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts