Hopper won't recognize my external hard drives

That oblong thing that sits in between the prongs that plug into the wall and the the end that plugs into the EHD... I think! :)

My Seagate external hard drives come with a box plug and a usb cable. I replaced both with identical plug and usb cord that came with another external hard drives I no longer use. I only have one external hard drive plugged into the hopper at a time. But both external hard drives worked till the start of this week. I think it is odd that both would crap out at the same time. I will see when the replacement hopper comes in today and I hook it up.

I don't use that kind of black box. It is jut a plug that goes in to the socket and the other side to the external hard drive power port. The only other cable is the usb cable that leads from the ext. drive to the hopper usb port. Now my son's Xbox used that kind of black box for it's power supply.

BTW most USB bricks output 5V, not the 12V show. Some have 2 voltages (3 wire and a different plug)--I have one of those, which would make substituting hard. -Ken

If this helps... There was a poster on the other forum that couldnt get his EHD to be recognized. Finally, he noticed it had 2 partitions on it. Removed them, and suddenly it booted right up. I know you say it was working, but is there any possibility of this being the case?

I don't use that kind of black box. It is jut a plug that goes in to the socket and the other side to the external hard drive power port. The only other cable is the usb cable that leads from the ext. drive to the hopper usb port. Now my son's Xbox used that kind of black box for it's power supply.
Mike...please listen here. Look at the plug from your wall outlet. Where does it go...to a little black thing...that's the brick, or black box. From there goes another cord with a female plug to the EHD, Trying my best not to use the Picard palm.

I think Mike is saying the PS is built into the EHD.
It is . There is no "brick" . I have checked and I don't have any of my external hard drives with them. The only brick we have like this is on my son's Xbox power supply in his room , no where near the living room where the external hard drives are.

Well the new hopper arrived yesterday and I hooked it up and got it all setup . Tried the external hard drives and neither one came on. So I have to say it must of been both external hard drives that have failed , at the same time. Which I still find weird,but they were both over three years old. I will get a new external drive tomorrow at Best Buy and see if it works . The worse news is that the new replacement hopper has spontaneously rebooted twice today. Once when I was watching Netflix and just now when I was watching just tv. I hope I haven't traded my working hopper for a replacement that reboots on its own ,whenever.

Well the new hopper arrived yesterday and I hooked it up and got it all setup . Tried the external hard drives and neither one came on. So I have to say it must of been both external hard drives that have failed , at the same time. Which I still find weird,but they were both over three years old. I will get a new external drive tomorrow at Best Buy and see if it works . The worse news is that the new replacement hopper has spontaneously rebooted twice today. Once when I was watching Netflix and just now when I was watching just tv. I hope I haven't traded my working hopper for a replacement that reboots on its own ,whenever.
Just return the new one, and hook the old one back up?

Sometimes it takes a day or two for the EHD's to be recognized on a new Hopper. Try it again tomorrow?

Got the new hard drive and it was a 2 tb Seagate external hard drive on sale at Best buy for $90.00. Hooked it up and the receiver recognized and asked to format it . I allowed it and today I transferred three movies, so I'm back in business. I still find it odd that both of my older external hard drives would die at the same time though.

Got the new hard drive and it was a 2 tb Seagate external hard drive on sale at Best buy for $90.00. Hooked it up and the receiver recognized and asked to format it . I allowed it and today I transferred three movies, so I'm back in business. I still find it odd that both of my older external hard drives would die at the same time though.
Have you hooked up your old drives to a PC to see if they are really dead?

Have you hooked up your old drives to a PC to see if they are really dead?
Yes , I have . None are recognized ,so they are indeed dead now. The first few days this week they showed a glow like they were working , then only one ,then none. I guess they were slowly dieing . I hate that I lost all the movies I had on the ext. hard drive,but now I have 2 tbs so I can really fill it up while I have free Showtime/Starz/Cinemax for 3 months and 1/2 HBo & Blockbuster channels for 6 months.

Yes , I have . None are recognized ,so they are indeed dead now. The first few days this week they showed a glow like they were working , then only one ,then none. I guess they were slowly dieing . I hate that I lost all the movies I had on the ext. hard drive,but now I have 2 tbs so I can really fill it up while I have free Showtime/Starz/Cinemax for 3 months and 1/2 HBo & Blockbuster channels for 6 months.
Yeh, but...since they are formatted Linux, of course a PC won't recognize until you go to, in Windows, Administrative Tools,/Computer Management/Disk Management...then select Unknown drive and reformat. They might not be dead after all, which I suspect they are not...just bad power supplies that a PC can overlook. The one I had that two 722's would not see but were just fine on my PC.

Yeh, but...since they are formatted Linux, of course a PC won't recognize until you go to, in Windows, Administrative Tools,/Computer Management/Disk Management...then select Unknown drive and reformat. They might not be dead after all, which I suspect they are not...just bad power supplies that a PC can overlook. The one I had that two 722's would not see but were just fine on my PC.
I threw the old ones out and decided to move on with the new one I just got. But I will remember this next time. Thanks again Kab.

Extract the actual hard drives inside the case, use a external case known to work with the Hopper, install and you might be able to retrieve your recordings.

Reactions: gms49ers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts