How do I get started

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's hard to see but this what I have set on the receiver when I'm trying to find 87w

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 173
The cable might be over 6ft. I have the receiver on the rail with the cable hanging in the air thanks to someone trashing my extra rg6 cables. It hard being married to someone with OCD and has to keep everything clean and clutter free. Is there a difference on the 5150 and standard? I won't be able to do anything till tomorrow, day 13 at work for me.

Is there a difference on the 5150 and standard? I won't be able to do anything till tomorrow, day 13 at work for me.

I don't know for sure with that specific receiver, HOWEVER, the lnb is 5150 LO on the c-band side for sure. Setting it to 5150 is one less "unknown" you will be dealing with.

I hesitate to say this, but with some of your comments, I highly suggest you make sure that your partner isn't deliberately sabotaging your settings and/or adjustments on things when you aren't around... It's bad enough setting one up from scratch when you are still figuring things out, much less if somebody is messing with you for whatever reasons. If you can never trust things are the same as you left them, you are fighting a real battle you might not win.

You've already come a long way and learned much. Keep plugging away at it. You won't believe the feeling once you get your first signal, and watch your first program...

Reactions: Cham and beavs2112
It's definitely not a scam, there's a lot of good free TV to be had with a C band dish. I have a few c band and ku dishes here and receive a ton of good channels.

I agree with Primestar31, set the lnbf Lo to 5150 instead of standard. Are you positive that you're connected to the C side of the lnbf and not the Ku?

What type of TV shows does your wife like to watch? With your setup, you should receive NBC, ABC, PBS, ION, MeTV, Movies!, CTV, CCTV, BYUTV, Laff, Cozi, DW, H and I, Decades, This TV, Fox, Light TV, Bounce, Grit, Escape, Retro TV, Buzzr and more. Maybe if she knows you can get something she'll like, she'll be a bit easier on you about it?

I finally got a lock. I put the original lnb back on and had a lock within seconds. I'm getting a L86 and Q67
Kept adjusting if that's the best I can get.

Attachments

• IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 173
I finally got a lock. I put the original lnb back on and had a lock within seconds. I'm getting a L86 and Q67
Kept adjusting if that's the best I can get.

That's awesome! Now, don't play around with it right now. Just enjoy a little of the programming on that sat for tonight. Tomorrow, you can move the dish East and West and see how other sats lock as you move across the arc. You'll want to make SURE the very top of the arc is at your mounts true South, and Declination is properly set, BEFORE you do much else.

Show your partner what you have accomplished for now, and see how that goes over...

I switch the other lnb back on and Turned it 90 degrees counterclockwise and got vertical at a Q60. What's weird is I had to move the focal depth out to 40 from 28 to get anything and I can move it in and out a little bit and the numbers don't change. Not sure how to correctly set it now

Prove to your wife first then move it so she can't get on your case anymore then if she messes with the receiver put a lock out code on it.

I finally got a lock.

Well done! :bday

For fine-adjusting: You'll probably follow the clarkebelt even better, when using the values of "adjusted motor settings".

For earth latitude 38.2:
Use axis elevation 51.16 (instead of 51.8) [ equal to latitude scale value 38.84 ],
and dish declination of 5.41 (instead of 6.05 or 6.1)

That way, the dish face remains on 45.75 to due south, but you'll follow the arc a little bit better.

After all the confusion about numbers, I didn't dare to mention this earlier......:)

Greetz,
A33

I haven't had a chance to miss with it. Just got back today from Gatlinburg Tennessee. From what I could tell by hand cranking the dish it's not tracking the arc so I'll need to get a working actuator on there and also need to get the buttonhook set right. When I have the f/d set to .28 nothing but I pull it out to about .38 I get a lock and I need to figure out how to set the screw on it.

I finally cracked and bought a new motor and got it installed today. Readjusted the lnb, I had to set the f/d to 40 instead of 28 because the buttonhook is so seized up I'm afraid I'll break it if I keep hitting the back of it with a sledge hammer. I'm getting a L88 and Q78 which is the best I got so far but I'm getting a lot of freezing and pixelation but audio stays fine. Still can't figure out how to get the receiver to control the vbox.

Reactions: primestar31
Each satellite in the Install menu needs the motor control setting DiSEqC 1.2. Once DiSEqC 1.2 is selected a second control window is available to drive the dish East/West and Save the position. Some receivers allow the user to select a motor number that synchronizes with the controller, while with other STBs, the motor number assignment is preassigned by the satellite position in the satellite list.

Example:
Connect the STB LNB IN port to the controller Receiver port.
Connect the controller LNB In port to the LNB.

On the receiver:
Select 97W in the install menu
Select the Motor and set to DiSEqC 1.2
Press OK to display a DiSEqC 1.2 motor control programming window
Select an active transponder from the TP list
Drive the motor East / West to locate and optimize the the Signal Quality meter reading
Select the desired motor assignment number
Press Save

The controller should indicate that the position is saved. Now the receiver and the controller are synced for this one satellite. Repeat for all other satellites in the arc.

Now when navigating through receiver menus or selecting a channel, the receiver will automatically issue a DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment number "GoTo" and the controller will move the actuator to the saved count number previously saved for that satellite.

Reactions: coltonjared
I finally got time to mess with the dish today and made the adjustments that was told to make and tried to adjust the lnb and now lost reception. Got it back for a minute with the quality of 52 but still getting pixelation that I was having before where you can't get a video to hold but audio is fine so I put the oringinal lnb back on and nothing again. This dish is going to make me go crazy.

I wish I was closer to you I would help you out since we are indiana. Keep working on it you will get it my friend.

A buttonhook feedhorn support is much easier to align then using three or four point support arms. There is no reason to replace a buttonhook with three or four point support arms as long as the buttonhook is mechanically sound. I have added steel ropes with turnbuckles to center a buttonhook and would favor that over replacing with rigid support arms.

Make sure that the feedhorn is centered on the reflector. Take measurements from three or four points on the dish edge to the exact middle of the feedhorn. These measurements must match. If the measurements are not the same, the feedhorn is not centered on the reflector. Any movement of the reflector and the reflected signal will not be tracking the arc even if your reflector is.

The problem is I can't adjusted it because its seized up and I need to slide it way from the dish more and I've tried everything to get it to break free except for a blowtorch and that's because I don't have one

The problem is I can't adjusted it because its seized up and I need to slide it way from the dish more and I've tried everything to get it to break free except for a blowtorch and that's because I don't have one

Cut it off with a hacksaw at the middle of the stalk, or wherever would seem to work for the following. Sleeve the original tube with a slightly larger tube/pipe/E.M.T. over the top. So, the new piece of tube will connect the smaller sawed original pieces as they will fit INSIDE of it, like an telescoping old-school radio antenna. This new piece of larger tube, can have 4 slots hacksawed on each end deep enough so that you can use a U-bolt clamp to squeeze it to hold it for adjustment. Once you KNOW you have it where it should stay (everything tuned in), you can drill holes through and bolt it all together if need be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts