How do I get started

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't put up a second dish and give the scrappers another free meal. If they had the balls to steal it in the first place, they won't hesitate to do it again.

Do you know what brand it is. I couldn't find anything readable on it. Not sure if I want another buttonhook and the mess needs repaired in several spots.
Mine was branded "Laser" but I think it was sold under other names also. LaserCKU 002.JPG

This one had been converted from button hook to quad leg.
LaserCKU 005.JPG

I wouldn't put up a second dish and give the scrappers another free meal. If they had the balls to steal it in the first place, they won't hesitate to do it again.

People will steal anything these days. I've been lucky, I have dishes laying all over the place, and so far, nothing has been bothered. I am fortunate to have a neighbor who keeps an eye on things when we aren't home, but we also have cameras all over the place. Since my wife got sick, she's here 99% of the time, and she's a deadly shot with a pistol. As you can see in my profile picture, the dishes we're using are inside a 6 foot chain link fence, so it would be difficult for anyone to get them out of there.

I can't imagine someone stealing a BUD. If you ever install another dish, I'd rig up some kind of an alarm. This is the 1st time I've ever heard of someone stealing a dish. :(

Maybe on the new dish, weld a length of chain to the pole and another to the dish mount and padlock the two pieces together. It wouldn't stop someone determined to steal it, but it would make it harder than just loosening a few bolts.

My main concern with this dish is there a rusted out spot on the mount that you can see on the third picture. Should I be worried about this?

I'd weld/have someone weld a patch over that because eventually it may rot more and then break.

It's hard to tell in that picture, but it looks like it could maybe be patched up with a piece of angle iron. The last dish I picked up had a couple of spots like that and I cut out the rot, then used angle iron to patch it up.

I'm going to be getting this dish in a few days. Think it might be a winegard quadstar
I don't think that's a Quadstar. I have a Quadstar and the feed arms attach to the outer edge of the reflector. Also on the Quadstar the mesh is crimped on the outer edge (which makes it hard to take out a section).

Looks like you got a good reflector, but that the mount has seen better days. I also think that it would be good to patch those bad spots. Better safe than sorry.

Glad you have located a replacement. Agree with everyone on patching the mount. Would certainly figure on adding in some form of alarm, Bright and Very Very Loud when tripped. Would also consider some video of it as well, that way if someone tried again, even if they ran from the alarm, the pictures would help the LEOs.

I'm going to be getting this dish in a few days. Think it might be a winegard quadstar

The pivot arms used to let the dish move across the arc appear to be welded off center on the mounting ring, the dish is painted grey, and the hood looks exactly like the ones Perfect 10 used. As far as I know, Perfect 10 was the only dish manufacturer to weld these brackets off center. It is very possible you have a Perfect 10, but it's also possible you have a Winegard.

If it's a Perfect 10, they were one of our favorite dishes, but I can't be certain without a straight on shot of the dish from behind. In any case, it's a great find. :)

The old man that had the dish helped me take it down so it took about an hour so that was great. Most of the bolts broke so I'll half to find new ones. Here's some pictures of the lnb which is c and ku band so that was a nice surprise and the rusted mount. I'll need to make an adapter for my pole to make it 4 OD to 3.5 OD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: . Raine and KE4EST
Looking at that mount, I think I would take to a welding/machine shop and get them to build you new one. Just the rusted out part, not the whole thing. The real important part is the holes on top and bottom are straight and aligned well one to the other. Won't be real cheap, but I don't thing it will much longer. I am guessing, but would bet that other parts of it are getting pretty thin as well.

So I got the the pole that fits the mount problem is my original 4OD pole opening is 3 3/8 not 3 1/2 like I thought so how should I go about getting this to fit?

Attachments

• IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 190
So I get up to this today. Some crack head stole my dish last night. It was there 11:30 last night when I got home from work and gone at 8 this morning. I'm seriously p#ssed off about this.

Man that sucks. You would think they would do this at a property where nobody lives, but your home? Hope they get caught.

Wow! I can't believe someone would steal a 10' satellite dish. Must be some neighborhood. 5 years ago scrappers were stealing water spigots off the sides of houses, but now that the price of scrap metal has sunk I am genuinely surprised! Have you given any thought to the possibility that your "boss" might have arranged to have someone "Steal" it? ;):coco:eek: Considering what you have told us about her...
In any case, you'd better electrify that new dish of yours!

Reactions: danristheman
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts