How do I use a Von Weise Motor with my Digital sat Box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alemmoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
pottstown,pa
How do I move a Von Weise open gear Motor on a 8 ½’ Radio Shack Dish to use with my digital GeoSat 1100 box ?
I saw that Linuxman had this type of motor.
I just bought a brand new 1988 Radio Shack 8 ½” Aluminum Dish complete outfit # 16-2502, with a date of 3/10/88 stenciled on the boxes. The man just died and never got it put up since then.
Three of the four boxes were never opened until this week. The Dish assembly Directions, video and the LNB were missing from the opened box. The widow I bought it from called to report she found the instruction manual and will continue searching for the rest and will send in a few weeks after searching awhile.
It has its own mast pole, 24 “ L bolts to mount into concrete , a giant Von Weise open gear [27 volt] Motor # Vo4058 AC33 ,a Remote Controlled Home Satellite TV Recorder #2010 with a 52 page manual on how it set it up , a giant roll of a five wire harness with coxial and the supports arms for the Dish which all slide into a 20” Cast Iron [2 piece] Center Hub.
A Heavy steel pipe mounts into the cast Iron Ring to hold the LNB.
I lost my un setup orbitron 7.5’ Dish in this weekends wind storm.
I love my my GeoSat Pro 1100 and prefer using it over the # 2010 Analog reciever that looks over whelming.
What is available to use my digital GeoSat Pro1100 with the 1988 Von Weise Motor?.
I bought a DNX 242 Lnb dual C band for it.

You should be able to use a V-Box or G-Box to move that dish. I think either of those units will work as a standalone positioner, or using diseqc commands from your GeoSat Pro.

I'd like to ask for some pictures of that dish. Sound like a good find.
I can confirm that a G-box will marry a GeoSat 1100c to a Von Weise. I used the same equipment last summer, worked fine.

I will take some pictures of the motor and of the Dish in pieces as I will not get the dish assembled until I finish another project first. Honey do lists get priority.

I have never added pictures here before, but do all the time on Ebay.
Do I add them thru the -Insert Image Icon?
Thanks Al

When you are posting, go into Advanced mode.
Then, instead of clicking the POST button or whatever, scroll down a bit further.
You should see a section on adding files/pictures.
It's called: Manage Attachments... click that.
It's pretty self-explanatory... though, with the new forum software it's a bit silly now.

Pictures of new 1988 Radio Shack 8 1/2' Dish driven by a Von Weise motor

craigslist 006.JPGcraigslist 012.JPGcraigslist 008.JPG

:) See attached pictures of the New Von Weise Motor and the dish with Cast Aluminum center [not steel]. Is the GBOX a better user friendly choice over the another brand for my application to move this dish using the GeoSat Pro?
What Receiver would you recommend to do more than my GeoSat Pro 1100 does and be just as friendly as the GeoSat Pro.
Thanks Al
pencil.png

That's an H to H motor. (Horizon to Horizon) ((ME DROOL)) Wow, So clean. What a find! Nice!
I've had my Gbox about 2 yrs, and have had absolutely no problems. Not saying, they all are trouble free.(Your experience may vary) Others have the Vbox, with similar comments. I have no experience with the Geosat line, so I can't directly comment on "just as friendly as the GeoSat Pro (1100)" But stepping into more features would go (1)HD, (2)HD and S2, (3)HD and S2 with 4.2.2 decoding. I skipped (1), from DVB-S only, and went to (2)bought a Pansat9200, with the S2+ board, that I've recently replaced with an SSO (Sathawk, Solomend, OpenboxS9). It's got its problems, but it's the current price leader of the HD S2 capable receivers.

The gbox seems to be twice as accurate (counts 2 pulses vs. 1 pulse) than other diseqc 1.2 positioners. A good thing to know if you plan on using that BUD for ku.

crackt out,.

I have decided to sell the Whole Radio Shack/Von Weise Satellite system minus the Analog receiver on Ebay because It was over whelming for me and I could not find anyone local to set it up for me.I did find one person who I could pay to find the Clark ark when using the standard type motor.

Vintage 1995
8.5' Satellite Dish (160-2502) Specifications Faxback Doc. # 15618
Antenna

Type:.............................................................Parabolic
Diameter:............................................................8 1/2'
Drive (DC Motor):.................2200 RPM 2.7 Amps 1/12 HP 25 in, 27 volts
Reducer:................................525:2 Ratio 6.2 RPM output shaft
Gear:....................................Worm and sector 48:1 Ratio Gray
iron 30 yellow zinc chromate
Focal length...................................................37.25 Inches

I have decided to sell the Whole Radio Shack/Von Weise Satellite system minus the Analog receiver on Ebay because It was over whelming for me and I could not find anyone local to set it up for me.I did find one person who I could pay to find the Clark ark when using the standard type motor.

Wow, I'm disappointed you let it go (or plan to).
With patience, you could learn everything you need to know by reading this forum, asking questions, and participating.

At least see it goes to someone who'll appreciate it... not to a scrapper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)