How long with Dish?

Remember when top120 was the Top 40 for just $19.99 as an everyday non promotional rate?

Today top 120 is almost $50
Yep, and those 40 channels had the same amount of content as the 120 channels do now. Just like grocery packaging staying the same size but the net contents being lowered for a higher price.

March 2010-Present.

I switched because I was frustrated with the HD offering from Comcast, or lack therefore. Before that, I had been with Comcast or another cable company (AT&T, TCI, Viacom, etc.) my whole life.

Also, 722, while it is dated now, it was a better (and cheaper) DVR than whatever Comcast was using, at the time.

Since then, I've shaved the cord, but I remain with Dish, because of cheaper pricing, more HD, BB@Home, and the Hopper.

I did experiment for a bit with cutting the cord about a year ago, but between data caps, and hoops I had to jump through in order to watch some programming, among other things, for me, it was not worth it, and that was when I upgraded from the 722 to the Hopper.

Remember when top120 was the Top 40 for just $19.99 as an everyday non promotional rate?

Today top 120 is almost $50

Yes I remember I was paying Tele Media Cable company in 95 around $45.00 a month for about 20 channels + locals and DISH came out with top 40 for $19.99 and I switched
to Primestar in 95 then to DISH in 97 to get more channels for less money. Now it is becoming so expensive I am honestly considering dropping down to Welcome pack + a premium in the summers to save money. I'm paying about $31.00 a month in fees to just have the whole house hopper system in my house, before I add the programming pack.

Since 1995. We live in southern CA, our daughter was going to college in Chicago area, and we wanted to have access to WGN, to keep up with news and weather. Local cableco didn't have that channel. Basically was a coin flip between D*TV and DISH. Bought the receiver and dish at a DISH retailer, who happened to be primarily a cell phone store outlet, with a sideline of baseball cards. Had to mount the dish, zero in on the satellite, etc. When Tivo came out, got that for the convenience, but it was such a hassle with the competing IR signal, ended up doing a electrician's tape "tent" over the DISH receive IR port. Good times.....

I would say since late '97 or early '98. Bought my SD receiver and Dish 300 and did my own install. Went from the original receiver (non-DVR) to the 508 and then 721 with Dish 500 until forced to replace it with a 522 (721 was obsolete). Then upgraded to a 722 (leased for the first time) and Dish 1000.2 for HD in March of 2009.

Dish subscriber since 1997. For some bizarre reason I cannot explain, I still have my original receiver stored in the garage.

All in all, I have been totally happy with the service I have received over the years.

AT40 channel list as of March 1996 (when dish was launched)

A&E
Cartoon
CNBC
CNN
CNNI
CNNFN
Comedy
CMT
Court TV (now TruTV)
C-Span
Dioscovery
Disney East
E!
ESPN
ESPN2
EWTN
Family Channel (ABC Family)
HLN
History
HGTV
HSN
KTLA
TLC
Lifetime
MTV
TNN (now Spike)
Nick
QVC
Syfy
TBN
TBS
TNT
Travel
TCM
TV Food Netowrk (Food)
USA
VH1
Weather
WGN
WPIX

That was it
$10 more you got Dish CD and one premium
$20 more was above + Golf + an additional premium
$30 add an additional premium

This is the best part...Additional receivers 1.99 extra

just found a price sheet I had from a retailer

Funny thing is I could live with those channels and be happy.....I forgot KTLA was included. I remember adding Superstations package and Distants right away....ahh the good ole daze of sat tv!! :popcorn

I was happy to have the Superstations back then. When I got Dish it was WPIX WGN WTBS and KTLA then I remember they added I think WWOR then WSBK then KWGN if I remember correctly.

Few months shy of 10 years now...fall of 2003. Never liked the local podunk cable company...last straw was shortly after I got my first HDTV, and the cable company could not get an HD signal to work in my house. After the 5th or 6th unsuccessful "service call" by the clueless, I told them to shove it and decided to give Dish a chance. Been mostly happy since then, and never had a real reason to switch. Their equipment and channel offerings absolutely blow the cable company away here. Added and kept AEP for a long time, but just got too expensive to justify no more than I was really watching all the extra channels.

Last edited:
I've had Dish since Oct. '07 minus 7 miserable months with U-verse.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

November 1996, when you had to buy a year of programing in advance and install your own dish. I believe it was May 1996 when dish begin.

I think it was the summer of 1997. Cost $200 and they gave you a cheap compass and a vhs tape on how to install it. The first Charlie Chat was on when I got every thing hooked up.