How long with Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Joined Dish TV September 2007.

Several reasons I went with Dish instead of Direct. I could care less who had the most HD channels and still don’t care. Dish to me had more cutting edge technology and that is more important to me. At that time Dish had the single satellite coax to the receiver technology, VIP722 had a Home Distribution modulator port, TV2 tuner available so all TVs didn't have to watch the same channel, on screen caller ID, built in OTA antenna tuner, and Adult programming available. Since then Dish has gone backwards on a couple of things. Newest DVRs do not have Home Distribution port, requires an external RF Modulator. Also OTA is not built in the receiver, requires an external module.

Regrettably I am ending my relationship as a Dish tech was out this morning at the home into which I just moved and determined the install would be quite complex and potentially would require holes to be drilled into my walls, vents reconfigured, etc. Unfortunately the builder of this four-year old home apparently went cheap and only ran two coax lines into the home as part of the whole home wiring scheme. The Dish tech indicated he required two- possibly three- for a Hopper/Joey setup and Time Warner is using one for Internet access.

Sept. 96. During the Fox dispute in late 2011 went to Direct. After 8 months came back to Dish. Paid a hefty ETF to drop Direct, but totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

July 1998, I also feel responsible for Charlie's wealth! I still wish they gave us 'oldtimers' some perks for staying with them. I am very frustrated that we have what seems like 50 junk shopping channels that we can't get rid of! They still have the best DVR in the industry!

We were originally Primestar customers when we moved to the boonies here, either crappy OTA or C-band at the time. We had Primestar from 1995 to 1998, when lightning struck our dish. We didn't have tv for 3 weeks, they kept saying they were coming, but never showed up. They told us we couldn't take the their dish off the pole in our yard, LOL, my hubby said, the pole is in concrete so it is mine, either you come and take the dish or I'm removing it so Dishnetwork can be installed. They never came, we took their dish and receiver and left it at their local installer's doorstep!

Last edited:
You do know how to create Favorites Lists, and skip the shopping channels, right?

You do know how to create Favorites Lists, and skip the shopping channels, right?

Yes I do, but I am tired of Dish going up on prices when all they keep adding are the junk channels. Not sure what Dish's cost factors are per channel now, but I worked in the mergers & acquisition industry in the early 90's and my company looked at buying Dish. The channel costs were about .05 - .20 each. A la carte programming was a big topic then, I am shocked that it hasn't gone mainstream 20 years later!

You do realize that those junk shopping channels actually pay to be there? Without them, your bill would be even HIGHER. Oh, and the reason ala carte hasn't been able to take foothold is because of all those mergers and acquisitions. So I guess we have you to thank for that? :)

mhowie said:

Regrettably I am ending my relationship as a Dish tech was out this morning at the home into which I just moved and determined the install would be quite complex and potentially would require holes to be drilled into my walls, vents reconfigured, etc. Unfortunately the builder of this four-year old home apparently went cheap and only ran two coax lines into the home as part of the whole home wiring scheme. The Dish tech indicated he required two- possibly three- for a Hopper/Joey setup and Time Warner is using one for Internet access.

Wait a second here, how many hoppers or joeys are you looking to get? If only one hopper then your setup is just fine , put the node outside, use the one available line ran inside, to a tap, to a splitter and hopper. I always try to talk customers into hopper Joey systems in those scenarios.

Have you considered burying the cable around the outside of the house then just come up and through the wall? Minimum visibility and landscaping to cover it? I assume first floor of a 2 story house without a crawlspace or basement. The upstairs should be able to get down walls from the attic.

Wait a second here, how many hoppers or joeys are you looking to get? If only one hopper then your setup is just fine , put the node outside, use the one available line ran inside, to a tap, to a splitter and hopper. I always try to talk customers into hopper Joey systems in those scenarios.

I was looking at a 2H/3J setup...

mhowie said:
I was looking at a 2H/3J setup...

Well if one of the hopper locations was on a first floor, then you could just one one line to that hopper, the other line can go to the pre-existing line and use a tap to go to the remaining rooms.

July 2001.

Any issues I've had have been small, and fixed quickly.

I did have a 722 die on me, and the replacement was DOA, but after that everything has been peachy! Loving my new Hopper.

Had Dish for a year or two until they dropped AMC. Had DirecTV on and off for about 10 years total. I follow whomever has the HD channel lineup I want. At the moment, only cable fits the bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)