How much would this be worth?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shicks4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Kansas
Was wondering what this dish might be worth. It has a decal with HCi on the mount, and its a 6' steel dish. It has a hand crank that is frozen and does have a standard chapparal single feed with an old norsat lnb on it. The lady is asking 100 bucks I remove dish and pole and repair ground. Was installed, used, in the mid 80s but was never hooked up.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 248
It wouldn't be worth anything to most folks. 6' is too small for reliable C-Band. Nothing special about the rest of it. If you have a use for it, offer to remove it for free, but not a "C note"

Well I told her I would ask, but I assured her that I was sure 100 bucks was too much. One of the guys that works for me wants to add a c-band dish for 117w (hes hispanic), and this is the only other one we know about as all the rest of the dishes i salvaged i have already given away (after stripping parts i needed/wanted). THis is the first one I have ever had someone firm on wanting to sell, nearly everyone I have ever asked just wanted the thing outta the yard. I actually had one guy here in town come up to me and asked me if i wanted it, all he wanted was the dish and pole gone, and the ground repaired where it was. Gave that dish to the guy across the street from my shop and I helped him set it on 107w (his pick not my first choice). We didnt even have to tweek anything, just set the pole align the dish due south and move dish to 107w and peak signal left and right.

So, If i were to make a fair offer of cash, what would be "fair"? Ill be directing her to this forum so she sees im not just making things up.

Well if it was aluminum you could offer scrap price $50, but there is no scrap value and the dish mover is junk. You can't use the existing LNB and feedhorn without a controller which is more expensive than buying a new LNBF. $20 with removal ????

Personally? Someone would need to pay me to remove it and recycle. Usually old fiberglass dishes have warped and not a good candidate for KU. The feed might be worth salvaging.
Its not fiberglass, its painted steel, magnet sticks to it so it aint aluminum.

Fair enough guys. I kinda thought it would have been a good stationary dish for 113w or 117w but maybe im wrong. In that case it wouldnt have mattered about the mover, I coulda removed it and put a lockdown bar on it even if i just made one out of some steel angle stock. And the lnbf route was the way i was thinking of going. I know for small tree removal we charge a minimum of 110. that included removal of tree and disposal, Dirt and grass seed. I originally offered to remove it, fill the hole and smooth the ground and put in grass seed as I would have went over with the guy who wants it after hours and pulled it.

If you think it's worth your time,I would just flat out tell her that,everyone you've talked to,who know about these things, say you should pay me to remove it.Then tell her you'll take it,free, and fix the hole and that's your final and only offer.

The most I have ever paid for a dish is $20 and that was for a 10 foot Channel Master in really nice shape. As others have said about half the time people want them out of their yards. In a couple of instances I have left a note on the door and months later got a call from someone who decided they just wanted that dish gone. And nobody's ever insisted I dig up the pole or fix their lawn!

The problem with smaller dishes is that even if they work well now, that doesn't mean they always will. I've got a 7½ footer that for YEARS has been reliable on Galaxy 16 (it was my second C-band dish) and prior to that I had used it on the Alaska channels before they were scrambled. Toward the end of last summer it stopped working on both the PR and MO muxes. Changed to a 10 foot C-band dish to receive Galaxy 16 and got everything again. No idea if the satellite got a bit weaker, my LNB started giving out (it's a dual output LNB and if something went bad it affected both outputs), or what happened but the point is that with a smaller dish you don't have a lot of headroom. If I had a six footer I'd probably put a Ku LNB on it and point it at SES-3, since I have problems on that one even with a 4 foot dish, but I can pretty much say that for all but the strongest signals you will be likely be disappointed with the performance of a six footer on C-band.

Best one I saw was a woman that had a nice looking 10 footer in her yard, only it was up on a very tall pole (in my area one of the satellite installers also had a tree service, so they used to love to convince people to pay extra for the tall pole which they'd install using one of their bucket trucks, and a lot of those are still around because no one can get them down safely without hiring a bucket truck or crane, which most people won't do). I had no idea how I would get it down but when I asked her about it, she said "I want $100 for it! I know what those dishes are worth, I'm not going to give it away!" Well, okay then. I told her I'd think about it. That was a couple years ago and I'm still thinking. :biggrin The only way she's ever going to get that out of her yard is if someone a lot more desperate than I is willing to hire a bucket truck or crane, or if she takes a Sawzall to the pole and just cuts it down, which would damage the dish irreparably (and if she doesn't know what she's doing she'll drop it on her garage or house, or maybe herself). Either way, there's a lot lower hanging fruit dishes still around!

Out of the five 10' dishes that I have recovered, I was thinking about paying $100 for a Winegard Pinnacle 10' perforated on an AJAK H180 mount. I ended up paying $50. The other four dishes were free and one of those is a perforated on an AJAK also.

I paid $100 for that 10ft Unimesh I have only because the old guy that wanted to sell it was dying of lung cancer and needed the money. Turns out that dish is the worst of the 3 I'm currently using. I won't ever do that again.

I can see most of you wont keep a sat business going lol, No wonder theirs no BIG companies in American now days!
And to the tight people whoa re squeeky heh you sound like a kiwi!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts