How to protect your dish in high winds?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Its for a 3.5 inch outer diameter pole. It came off a 10 foot im pretty sure. There person i got from had the dish broken down . Its heavy. The slip? You meant size pole correct?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Get a length of u-channel and cut four pieces and drill a hole in the bottom of the channel to bolt to the tabs. Size the u-channel to fit over the assembled ribs of the dish. It will look like this dish ring from my Channel Master Quad Panel.
AKAK2clean 011.JPG

Reactions: Titanium
I called SkyVision. They will get back to me tomorrow as they have to find it in their wherehouse to give me specs on it. Ill keep posting updates.

Reactions: FaT Air
Its for a 3.5 inch outer diameter pole. It came off a 10 foot im pretty sure. There person i got from had the dish broken down . Its heavy. The slip? You meant size pole correct?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes, i think my pole is a 4"

Easiest way is to dig a very large deep hole; square a little bigger (so it can move inside of it) than the dish. From the block walls to the drain required; this is a expensive project; but to rid winds; it does. As the bigger dishes have more gain in one direction; the wind affects them too much because their beamwidth is so sharp; direction means alot more the bigger it is. A 7 foot dish is another way to cut down on wind related directional problems; but really there is no cure except one; bury it below the ground. I have worked on a few that have their own pit; or square below it.

Another way is to build it inside a plastic structure; a room of its own. Disney did this in the 60's at Disneyland just to hide the dish. It can be done today with fiberglass the size of your dish from the ground to the top; surrounding it.and keeping the wind off..it has to be held to the ground very strongly also..).

Other than prevailing; even strong prevailing from one direction can be stopped by building wind screening; or using buildings/hills to block such.

I have been KU'less for a few weeks... Well, I got one of my KU's back online today. I got tired of waiting for good weather, so i tweaked it today during a snow flurry.. The wind storm from a few weeks back had moved it quite a bit. Listening to music on KU103w right now and am enjoying the fruits of my labor.

DL76 is gonna send me his mount, and I'm looking forward to rebuilding the 12' . I have some repair work to do on the mesh. It fell into the ground and did some damage.

It looked like we were gonna have an early Spring, but Mother Nature changed her mind a few weeks back. It's been snowing and we are supposed to be in single digits tonight. Oh well...

I got the 2nd KU working today. Its usually fixed at 125w, I had to move it to true south for me because i was off so much. I got it tuned in, and when I'm done putzing with it ill move it back to 125w.

Reactions: FaT Air and dl76
Following up on this topic (instead of starting a new one). I am new to C band FTA. I have a similar question about a dish and protecting it from the wind. I have not purchased any gear (LNB, Tuner, Dish, etc) yet and am looking on input and recommendations.

I plan to place the dish on a piece of property in Northern Colorado/ Southern Wyoming (right near the border).
The building code states that the "Ultimate Wind Speed (Vult)" is 167.
The cabin and dish would be in a little bit of a canyon. I planned on placing the dish on the East (down wind) side of the cabin to get some shielding. Should I also look at putting a lattice or snow fence behind it to break the lift? Is there any height requirement, ie could I shorten the pole so the dish can traverse the sat's and not come down to 0 elevation? Aesthetics are almost no concern- I plan on using a 12" wide by 3' deep concrete footer with a 3' by 3' pad with a #4 steel pipe for the mast. I plan on using a fixed 10' dish to avoid having to have a motor that could get stripped out in the wind.

Like I said, I am new to C band and am looking for input/ recommendations. I'm trying to research this before I do anything mostly because I have a 12 panel solar power system that has lost 4 panels (1 at one time and 3 others another time) due to winds. The clips on the panels were rated at 115 MPH, but the lift caused the bolt to pull through/ sheer the clip.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Welcome aboard! :happydance

Yea, i had the same thing happen to me on a solar panel as well. I would get some input on the quality of the latest mounts from Tek2000 if you were thinking of buying from them. My problem wasn't the wind so much as the inability of the sub-quality mount to handle anything more then gentle winds.

Make sure you find a location that is suitable to give you the most east arc to west arc. If you don't have to worry about snow, as long as you keep the pole height above ground at 1/2 the diameter of your dish, you should be okay there. I have to deal with a LOT of snow, so i keep it at 2 feet higher then that. The shorter you keep the pole the better. I would also fill the pole with concrete so it flexes less. Also, drill a hold through the pole at the bottom to run a rod through it so it will go into the ground with the concrete.. This will prevent the poll from rotating, which would be disastrous for reception and moral.

If you have prevailing winds, that aren't in your way, then you can shield yourself from that. We mostly have winds from the North, so, thats why I'm sheltered behind the house. But, if we get East winds, boy does my dish feel it. That's where the strong mount and pole and keeping it low makes a difference.

I'm sure others will have input as well..

:welcome to the forum GrantVon
Putting the dish on the east side is good. Most of the sats will be on your east side so pick a spot you can see down to the east horizon :)
I have read other members who live in a high wind area will dig a depression (bowl) in the ground to mount the dish in so the wind blows over it.
Colorado is a great place for finding quality used C-Band dishes and mounts :) They sold a lot of AJAK H-H mounts there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)