How to Setup Fixed 6FT Sationary Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
Due to time constraints, I would like to setup my 6ft WSI Bargain Dish without motorizing it for the moment. I know the steps to motorizing the WSI 6ft Bargain dish have been discussed here, but I would like to do a one stationary satellite setup, until I get around to using the actuator, and the GBox 3000 to run the dish. I have done a lot of KU Band (fixed & Motorized) & MiniBud installations, but never a full sized BUD before, so please bear with me if my BUD installation questions sound elementary. I need to complete this setup my this weekend.

Here are my concerns and questions:
  1. My Latitude is 42.0°N and longitude is 71.0°W. Should declination be factored in too using which of these charts here on geo-orbit?
  2. If I'm aiming for let's say 58.0°W, how would I go about setting the elevation, etc? Remember this will be a fixed-non motorizd setup.
  3. Where are the best spots to place the angle finder (inclinometer) when locating my satellite of choice.

Last edited:
Is this to be stationary on a polar mount? If so, do the polar mount alignment - center(Zenith) Then the side-(Azimuth) You'll have to slide the actuator* in it's mount or use a battery to move the actuator. Then move it to the satellite you want to ""Park" it on. *or other means of holding the dish on it's polar pivot.
This may help: http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/222234-bud-manual.html
use the Modified declination angle.
Get the satellites angle from horizon from dispointer (or your choice of sites) the most accurate place to measure the BUDs elevation is on a straight edge vertical across the dish's face. A pic is worth a thousand, so here's one.

Attachments

• polar_mount_pic.jpg
    polar_mount_pic.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 292
Is this to be stationary on a polar mount? If so, do the polar mount alignment - center(Zenith) Then the side-(Azimuth) You'll have to slide the actuator* in it's mount or use a battery to move the actuator. Then move it to the satellite you want to ""Park" it on. *or other means of holding the dish on it's polar pivot.
This may help: http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/222234-bud-manual.html
use the Modified declination angle.
Get the satellites angle from horizon from dispointer (or your choice of sites) the most accurate place to measure the BUDs elevation is on a straight edge vertical across the dish's face. A pic is worth a thousand, so here's one.
Thanks, FaT Air.
So if I understand this correctly. For example, to get 58.0°W I would do the following:
(1) For my Latitude of 42.0°N, I set the Elevation Angle to 42.65° (using the Polar Elevation rod with the Inclinometer placed on the area labelled Latitude on your pic.) and Declination Offset of 5.85° is measured placing the inclinometer on the BIG Ring behind the dish.
(2) Place the inclinometer on the ring on the back of the dish and move(tilt) the dish to 58.°W, stopping at 39.6° Elevation.
(3) Using this method it means that the LNB skew would be set to 0.0°, as the entire dish is moved to the stationary position, otherwise how would one account for the stationary skew of -14.0° in my location?

That should work. But (1)you might want to fine tune the latitude angle first on your southern-most satellite. 72°W. Might be tough with a 6 ft, it's S2 [3935 V 2824] But I have a Q in the 80's with my 10ft, so you may get it. if not I think you can shoot for 58°W (2) by moving the dish on it's polar pivot - yes- and adjust the Azimuth (twist the mount on the pole) for max Q (if up/ down is required, do not adjust the latitude angle, Moving the dish on it's polar axis raises and lowers the dish when not on your most southern sat. (3)The skew is set to Zero at Zenith (facing south, the highest point in the dish travel). Away from Zenith, it takes care of itself. Just like a motorized Ku.

That should work. But (1)you might want to fine tune the latitude angle first on your southern-most satellite. 72°W. Might be tough with a 6 ft, it's S2 [3935 V 2824] But I have a Q in the 80's with my 10ft, so you may get it. if not I think you can shoot for 58°W (2) by moving the dish on it's polar pivot - yes- and adjust the Azimuth (twist the mount on the pole) for max Q (if up/ down is required, do not adjust the latitude angle, Moving the dish on it's polar axis raises and lowers the dish when not on your most southern sat. (3)The skew is set to Zero at Zenith (facing south, the highest point in the dish travel). Away from Zenith, it takes care of itself. Just like a motorized Ku.

Thanks for the info. I now have a better understanding of what to do.:book::eureka::up

Edit: Is this S2 [3935 V 2824] transponder the only active transponder there? Are there no other non S2 transponders on 72.0°W?

Last edited:
There are occasional DVB-S feeds, but 3935 V 2824 is DVB-S2 and 24/7 (lyngsat shows freq as 3937, 3935 is what my S9 scanned it in as)

I have finally started putting up the 6ft bargain dish after all this time. I have assembled the dish, but noticed bubbled rust on the face of the dish and, I have sanded, cleaned and sprayed the affected panels with Rustoleoum Primer and should be finishing with the final coating this weekend. I have issues with at least one of the support rods. It's not aligning properly. It appears too short or twisted, I have something in the works from WSI to get another set of support arms sent to me. The fun will begin when I have to attach the actuator and attempt to move and point this 6ft bargain dish.

Note: This is now going to be a fully motorized installation, not fixed as I indicated in my original post.

Last edited:
On the first picture, see some of the rust spots that I sanded away. As you can see, the scalar appears slanted
on the on the dish with the rusted spots repainted on the second picture. The new colors don't match the original paint from factory on the dish on the 3rd photo.:rolleyes:

IMAG0863.jpgIMAG0899.jpgIMAG0900.jpgIMAG0902.jpgIMAG0896.jpg

Last edited:
After attaching the actuator to the dish, how do I use the Gbox V3000 and my receiver to move the dish?

Are those transponders listed on by Fat Air on post #4 on 72.0°W still active or are there any new active ones?

Last edited:
Might have to 'manhandle' the scalar and supports to center/level it. Might only be the angles bent into the supports are not equal. Make sure it's aimed at the dead center of the dish.
I found it easier to program the Gbox by itself (not connected to the receiver) and keep a written record of position number programmed for each orbital location. Then later I programmed the receivers DISEQC motor control with the position numbers corresponding to the satellite orbital location, then connected the coax thru the mover and let the receiver command the mover. (Maybe because I have a short memory[??] and can't just remember the last number I used.)
The only 24/7 TP I have @ 72W - 3937 V 2825, S2. A fresh scan show no others. Although I have seen some feeds, which I assume were mostly DVB-S.

I now have the dish going from 31.5°W to 87.0°. :D I can't see past 87.0° (I can't pick up the H transponder on 87.0°W) because of the house blocking the signals west of 87.0°W. My quality signals ranges from 48 to 72, but on some satellites the signal fluctuates by about 10 to 12 points. I have tried both the Geosatpro C2 Dual and WSI ESX242 and I'm getting the same results. Any ideas why I'm getting such a wide range in fluctuation?

I now have the dish going from 31.5°W to 87.0°. :D I can't see past 87.0° (I can't pick up the H transponder on 87.0°W) because of the house blocking the signals west of 87.0°W. My quality signals ranges from 48 to 72, but on some satellites the signal fluctuates by about 10 to 12 points. I have tried both the Geosatpro C2 Dual and WSI ESX242 and I'm getting the same results. Any ideas why I'm getting such a wide range in fluctuation?

Edit:
Moved my Non penetrating mount slightly to the east, and I can now get 89.0°W, but I still can't get H transponders on 87.0°W.
...any takers? BTW, I can't seem to lock the Luken (2800H 29125SR, and 4080H 29125) Channels. No Quality signal at all on H transponders, but the V signals comes in fine. This only happens on this staellite, as I'm able to get H transponders on other satellites.

Last edited:
I can't seem to lock the Luken (2800[3800]H 29125SR, and 4080H 29125) Channels
Vertical comes is on 87W but absolutely no Horizontal?? That's strange(?:confused:?) Maybe some fine, really fine. tuning. A 6ft'r is bare minimum for some of these S2 signals. Think ICE said he finally got them on his 6ft dish. Maybe bumping E or W a click or two?? 3885 H 18400 is my strongest on H polarity here w/ 10ft.
fluctuates by about 10 to 12 points
Notice fluctuations of about 5 to 10 points on my 10 ft on some transponders from time to time. I attribute it to atmosphere and maybe adjacent as it's not consistent at all. Think with a 6ft adjacent will be a major cause. (this may be countered by bumping the dish E or W, sometimes)

Vertical comes is on 87W but absolutely no Horizontal?? That's strange(?:confused:?) Maybe some fine, really fine. tuning. A 6ft'r is bare minimum for some of these S2 signals. Think ICE said he finally got them on his 6ft dish. Maybe bumping E or W a click or two?? 3885 H 18400 is my strongest on H polarity here w/ 10ft.
Notice fluctuations of about 5 to 10 points on my 10 ft on some transponders from time to time. I attribute it to atmosphere and maybe adjacent as it's not consistent at all. Think with a 6ft adjacent will be a major cause. (this may be countered by bumping the dish E or W, sometimes)
Thanks, Fat Air for the feefback! I did get an H Transponder with a 72% quality, but it wasn't a Luken channel or transponder.

Anyone in the New England (North East) area getting 3800H 29125SR, and 4080H 29125 on a 6ft C-band Dish at 87.0°W?

I will have to finish setting mine up to test that. I think that Scott recently tweaked his dish in order to receive the ones you are checking on 87W. I think it is on the new meter thread he started.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish Choices

C-band a la carte

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts