How to setup OTA with DTV using SWM8, HR21, and AM21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cktb2793

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I used to have DirectTV but switched to cable a few years ago for Howard Stern on Demand. I'm finally sick of cable's crappy boxes and am going back to DTV next week.

Three of my boxes are going to be the HR22 HD DVR's and 3 AM21's.........and my system is going to be setup using 2 of the SWM8's with an expander and power supply...... because I have only 1 wire going to each TV.

I have a new house and there is a box in my laundry room upstairs where all the individual cable wires and phone lines come together into a network. This is where the sattelite dish will connect to the SWM8's and everything will go from there.

Since I have only 1 wire going to each TV and am using the SWM8's to get a second tuner............. can i still have an antenna on the roof that sends OTA to the TV's? Or do I have to get an indoor OTA antenna for each TV?

I live in the Orlando, FL area............if I need indoor antenna's for each TV....... what ones work best and arent that noticeable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I used to have DirectTV but switched to cable a few years ago for Howard Stern on Demand. I'm finally sick of cable's crappy boxes and am going back to DTV next week.

Three of my boxes are going to be the HR21 HD DVR's and 3 AM21's.........and my system is going to be setup using 2 of the SWM8's with an expander and power supply...... because I have only 1 wire going to each TV.

I have a new house and there is a box in my laundry room upstairs where all the individual cable wires and phone lines come together into a network. This is where the sattelite dish will connect to the SWM8's and everything will go from there.

Since I have only 1 wire going to each TV and am using the SWM8's to get a second tuner............. can i still have an antenna on the roof that sends OTA to the TV's? Or do I have to get an indoor OTA antenna for each TV?

I live in the Orlando, FL area............if I need indoor antenna's for each TV....... what ones work best and arent that noticeable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You'll just want a good amplified splitter for the antenna signal, placed as close to the antenna as possible, and then wires running from there to each of the boxes. As long as you're getting a good signal from the antenna and you get a good splitter, you should be fine.

You'll just want a good amplified splitter for the antenna signal, placed as close to the antenna as possible, and then wires running from there to each of the boxes. As long as you're getting a good signal from the antenna and you get a good splitter, you should be fine.

Yes, but can I do that since I only have 1 wire going to each TV from the SWM8's? I don't have a 2nd wire for the antenna. Can you still use diplexers for the OTA signal like you do when you use 2 wires to each receiver?

Yes, but can I do that since I only have 1 wire going to each TV from the SWM8's? I don't have a 2nd wire for the antenna. Can you still use diplexers for the OTA signal like you do when you use 2 wires to each receiver?

Ah, sorry - I misunderstood your question - that I don't know.

OK....I didn't do this because I have two cables to every TV location so I use one for the SWM feed and the other for OTA but I've heard/read that you can connect your OTA to the OTA input on the SWM-8 and it'll work. Now DirecTV SWM-8 instructions say it won't work but there are folks here and on other boards who do it and say it works fine. Just a thought.....

Yes, if you're using the SWM8 multi-switch simply utilize the OTA input on the switch & use a standard diplexer at your receiver to split the two sources. Most sites offer a special SWM approved diplexer (Says SWM on the frequency band) but I've used standard diplexers on my feeds with no problems. Id suggest adding a pre-amp for your UHF antenna before you pass it through your distribution amp as this makes your antenna seem 3 times as big as far as reception goes. If you're picking up everything without the pre-amp then I guess you could do without it though. I haven't had the need to try this yet, but I don't think the Legacy ports on the SWM8 actually carry the OTA diplexed signal, should you even use those ports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)