How to tell if a DSR-922 is dead??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
I did not get a remote with the receiver that was given to me.The 7th digit in the SN is a 1, so I guess it was manufactured in 2001. When I plug it in I get a display as seen in the attached picture.
Nothing happens when I press any button including the power button.
Did the battery die and now it is a brick?

Attachments

• HPIM0727[1].JPG
    HPIM0727[1].JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 243
Looks like it's stuck in self diagnostic mode. I should do that when first plugged in then show WM UP then go to the time. Do you have a LNB hooked up? Sometimes a short in the cable or connector will cause it to freeze like that.

Looks like it's stuck in self diagnostic mode. I should do that when first plugged in then show WM UP then go to the time. Do you have a LNB hooked up? Sometimes a short in the cable or connector will cause it to freeze like that.

No, I don't have it hooked up to anything. The PO had it packed up for several years before I got it yesterday. The receiver and a 10.5' c-band dish was given to me for removing the dish from the PO's property.
Should I leave it plugged in for a period of time?

Last edited:
If it didn't go into WM UP then to the clock something is wrong. You can try unplugging it and plug it in a couple of times and see if that makes any difference, If it stays in self diag test it's not passing something and therefore won't boot. If the battery is dead it should still boot.

Thanks for your help. Its packed up tonight for my trip back to Florida. I'll try unplugging and plugging a few times when I get home and let you know how I make out.

I did not get a remote with the receiver that was given to me.The 7th digit in the SN is a 1, so I guess it was manufactured in 2001. When I plug it in I get a display as seen in the attached picture.
Nothing happens when I press any button including the power button.
Did the battery die and now it is a brick?

Power up sequence is not working most likely. Condition is moribund if it continues to do this. Needs professional help. May end up as a hangar queen.

A

No joy.......... I tried unplugging and then plugging back in several times. Sometimes slowly sometimes fast. No change in the display. Any help on what to do next or should I set it out for the trash man?

Any one need parts?

I won't be sending it anywhere for repair.
Figuring I had nothing to lose and the noise of something rattling around inside prompted me to open it up. Someone had left a battery (an old one?) inside the module case and it had leaked onto the cage and circuit board below. I can't get it out but it is a Maxwell battery.The pictures show the damage.
Thanks for all your help but I think I had better give up on this one. It was free anyway.
Btw, the battery measures 3.23v.
Does anyone need it for parts?

Attachments

• 4dtv box 004.jpg
    4dtv box 004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 4dtv box 003.jpg
    4dtv box 003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 4dtv box 002.jpg
    4dtv box 002.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 257
NICE! DC PCB got eaten up from the VC2 leaking battery acid. The unit is toast. Thats why I pulled my VC module out finally after 17 years, didn't want that to happen. We should all learn from this. If you still have a VC2 module in the 4DTV pull it out already.

Ah, that's where the battery came from. Not knowing about such things, it sure had me wondering how the battery got in there!
Oh well it was free and I was only hoping to use it to a move the dish and change polarity on a co-rotor anyway. The hunt goes on for something else to use.
Thanks again.

Spare parts

Sure I'll take it for spare parts.
PM me with the details & how you want to be paid for shipping.
I need the tuner can to repair a spare Mot DSR922.

Faceplate?

If brex2001 doesn't need a face on it, mine's cracked. I'll pay shipping + whatever you want for the faceplate. :)

I would be happy to divide it up, but we should hear from brex2001 first.
I am in the process of finding a box for the whole thing and figuring the shipping cost. I don't know what all he wants.
Maybe I could dissect it?

Can I take that out? I don't even know what it looks like!

The tuner is where the satellite coax connects. Unless your skilled with desoldering I would not mess with it since you could screw up the tuner. I have a desolder station to pull things like that out. I believe the 4DTV is a double sided board which makes it harder to get out.

The tuner is where the satellite coax connects. Unless your skilled with desoldering I would not mess with it since you could screw up the tuner. I have a desolder station to pull things like that out. I believe the 4DTV is a double sided board which makes it harder to get out.
Yes that board is somewhat a pain to remove components from. I worked all around the tuner can on my Mot 922 replacing voltage reg caps chasing a problem but concluded it was the tuner.
If you're willing to to dissect it so that others may gain this would be fine with me. Don't toss out the power supply, mover relay board or FP display. Somebody with iron burn scars will want them. ;)
I think the mainboard would fit in a USPS medium flat rate priority box. So much the better for shipping costs.

The surgery was a success, I think.
PM's have been sent to the two parties requesting specific parts and shipping is pending upon their reply.
The carcass will be properly disposed of immediately, unless someone wants any of whats left.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts