HR-20 and OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

warkovision

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Up till now I've been watching my locals through an HTPC using MYHD because I felt the picture and sound were better. Just for kicks, I hooked the OTA line into the HR-20, reset, and setup for Satellite and OTA. I noticed a couple of things that I didn't expect. The national local affiliates (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) were replaced in the channel guide by the OTAs and seemed to function properly. The strictly local stuff (KTLA, KCAL, PBS, etc) did not display in HD when HD content was being broadcast. I'm savvy enough to know that MYHD was not stretching an SD broadcast. Am I doing something wrong? The other thing was that ota locals seem to override their satellite equivalents and I was not able to access the satellite versions.:confused:

Last edited:
Weird. My HR20-100 gives me my D* locals in SD and HD using duplicate numbers. My OTA HDs are then listed in the 2-1, 2-2, etc. format. I weeded out the non-HD channels and the unwanted OTA HD subs using Favorites.

Up till now I've been watching my locals through an HTPC using MYHD because I felt the picture and sound were better. Just for kicks, I hooked the OTA line into the HR-20, reset, and setup for Satellite and OTA. I noticed a couple of things that I didn't expect. The national local affiliates (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) were replaced in the channel guide by the OTAs and seemed to function properly. The strictly local stuff (KTLA, KCAL, PBS, etc) did not display in HD when HD content was being broadcast. I'm savvy enough to know that MYHD was not stretching an SD broadcast. Am I doing something wrong? The other thing was that ota locals seem to override their satellite equivalents and I was not able to access the satellite versions.:confused:

You didn't direct tune those channels, did you? On mine, if I hit 8, it goes to the channel 8 I get from the satellite, which is SD. I have to actually key in 8-1 to get the OTA HD channel, even if the sat version was not in my favorites.

You need to setup your Favorites and weed out the unwanted channels. Then, set your default guide as Favorites.

I do think that if you select the channel directly you may get the SD channel. Appears to be a software bug.

The OTA stations do not replace anything in the channel guide, they are added to the guide. So you will see something like this (I am going to use my ABC local WFAA as an example):
8 WFAA (that's the DirecTV HD local)
8 DL8 (that's the DirecTV SD local)
8-1 WFAADT (that's the OTA HD channel)
8-2 WFAADT2 (subchannel)
8-3 WFAADT3 (subchannel)

and all other digital OTA locals show HD whenever they are transmitting HD,
and none of the OTA locals override their satellite equivalents.
Works the same on my HR20-700, my HR20-100 and my H20-600.

You need to setup your Favorites and weed out the unwanted channels. Then, set your default guide as Favorites.

I do think that if you select the channel directly you may get the SD channel. Appears to be a software bug.

Not a software bug, you need to go to the -1 to get the HD channel OTA, unless you have a HR20-700 which will remove the SD channel on it's own when set up that way.
If your not on the - number it's not HD for OTA. (or .1 depending on the set up).

Jimbo

I'm going to try this again tomorrow and see what happens.

Not a software bug, you need to go to the -1 to get the HD channel OTA, unless you have a HR20-700 which will remove the SD channel on it's own when set up that way.
If your not on the - number it's not HD for OTA. (or .1 depending on the set up).

Jimbo

I'm talking about my D* carried HD locals here not my OTA locals. D*, on my HR20-100, uses the same numberfor SD and HD so you must weed out the SD channel if you don't want it in the guide. The OTAs are easy to ID because they use the "-".

The only way my box shows HD only is to select that in the alternate guide. When directly entering the channel number the box seems to go to the SD channel no matter how the guide is set up. I STILL THINK THAT IS A BUG.

The latest software for the HR20s changes the default to the HD channel (it looks like a new release is about to be downloaded to the HR20-100), and software for the H20 receivers will soon be released that does the same.

Well...:eek: I must have had some sort of glitch happen the first time. Though is it possible that the older software that came with my dvr might have caused it? I remember after going back to the satellite only setup that the dvr downloaded some new software that I think may have been guide related. Anyhow, everything seems as it should now with the satellite & OTA setup.:) Thanks all for your help.

Just enable the "Hide SD duplicates" feature and the SD ones will be hidden so there's no duplicating.

Where is this Menu option. I may not be able to see the forest because there are too many trees in the way.
Sorry, I've lost track if this feature is in the national release yet or not, but to get to it, menu, help & settings, setup, display, it's the 4th option down.

I can't seem to find that preference either.:confused:
Rad maybe you have different software. My 4th option down (and the last one btw) is Guide/grid first etc.

As I said, it might not be in the national release code yet. All my receivers are running the latest Cutting Edge versions of firmware which have the hide SD duplicate option so if you're not seeing it then I guess it hasn't gone national yet. IIRC I think it was mentioned that a new release for the HR20 is starting to spool out for a staged release so maybe you'll be seeing it come along soon, keep an eye out for your HR20 rebooting one of these days.

I think it is CE as I kinda remember reading about it there. I know I can't find it.

If you DL CE do you lose everything?

I think it is CE as I kinda remember reading about it there. I know I can't find it.

If you DL CE do you lose everything?

Usually not, but remember CE releases are test software so there can be problems. I've been doing them since the beginning and so far I went back to a national release only once due to problems introduced by CE code.

Before diving into the CE process please read all the 'rules and regulations' about CE's, especially the part about NOT calling DirecTV for any problems with the box if you've installed CE software on it. The only exception is if your box bricks and won't even boot anymore then you can call for a replacement.

Sorry, I've lost track if this feature is in the national release yet or not, but to get to it, menu, help & settings, setup, display, it's the 4th option down.

Rad,
That feature is still in the CE stages , btw, I love it :)

I too am waiting for the "NR" for the -100, it makes all the HD channels much easier to access.

I have not seen a CE for the HR20-100 that has that feature in it yet, that said, I haven't seen a CE in awhile for the H20-100 either.

Jimbo

Rad,
That feature is still in the CE stages , btw, I love it :)

I too am waiting for the "NR" for the -100, it makes all the HD channels much easier to access.

I have not seen a CE for the HR20-100 that has that feature in it yet, that said, I haven't seen a CE in awhile for the H20-100 either.

Jimbo

Jimbo, you missed it, there was a CE for the HR20-100 last night and Friday that also had the DoD code in it. Sorry you didn't see it.

Edit, sorry, didn't see the haven't seen a CE for a while was for the H20-100. There is a post in theHR20-100 thread at DBSTalk where someone says that they see the Hide SD option now on their box with this weekend's CE

I lose track of these releases also.
There was a CE for the HR20-100 this weekend, the last CE for the H20-100 was in early October and did have the HD default and "hide SD duplicates" options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)