HR-24 To HR-44?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mongo_Slade

Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I have an HR-24 with 2Tb external drive. If I upgrade to an HR-44 will I lose all my recordings or will it just update the firmware on the external?

The recordings on the hard drive are linked to the HR24. If you plug it into another dvr, it will reformat the hard drive.

The recordings on the hard drive are linked to the HR24. If you plug it into another dvr, it will reformat the hard drive.

More specifically the access card, but the point remains the same. You will have to reformat the drive if you decide to upgrade this receiver to a genie.

The better question is how many tvs do you currently have? If you are swapping a HR24 and 2 d12s for a genie +2clients for example, your best bet would be to swap reloacte the combo for the genie, and swap one standard to a mini and disconnect the last standard.

Moral of the story is to keep the 24 and also add the genie, but I dont know what sort of setup you have. Perhaps we can better help you with suggestions if you inform us of how many receivers you have and what models they all are.

More specifically the access card, but the point remains the same. You will have to reformat the drive if you decide to upgrade this receiver to a genie.

The better question is how many tvs do you currently have? If you are swapping a HR24 and 2 d12s for a genie +2clients for example, your best bet would be to swap reloacte the combo for the genie, and swap one standard to a mini and disconnect the last standard.

Moral of the story is to keep the 24 and also add the genie, but I dont know what sort of setup you have. Perhaps we can better help you with suggestions if you inform us of how many receivers you have and what models they all are.

Good call !

Thanks for clearing that up for me all. For some reason I had to re-register.

Dag, 115 episodes of The The Stooges and 132 episodes of The Twilight Zone are at stake. I'll need to really think about this...

Thanks for clearing that up for me all. For some reason I had to re-register.

Dag, 115 episodes of The The Stooges and 132 episodes of The Twilight Zone are at stake. I'll need to really think about this...

Copy them to DVD if you want to keep them.

Not that I don't believe you BUT are we sure it's the access card? From my understanding it is the HDD of the device hints why if you swap a HDD it makes your new or old HDD drive reformat? I think we've talked about it before but never got a clear answer

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not that I don't believe you BUT are we sure it's the access card? From my understanding it is the HDD of the device hints why if you swap a HDD it makes your new or old HDD drive reformat? I think we've talked about it before but never got a clear answer

I would guess it's software related.
I'm thinking it's HD as well.

I would guess it's software related.
I'm thinking it's HD as well.

I don't think its software at all. I've swapped 3 HDD on my PS3 and all 3 have made me reformat it. I think it's something with the operating system itself but I could be wrong, I'm just a satellite junkie ;)

I don't think its software at all. I've swapped 3 HDD on my PS3 and all 3 have made me reformat it. I think it's something with the operating system itself but I could be wrong, I'm just a satellite junkie ;)

You may be right, I was thinking software, but it probably is OS now that I think about it.

Is the HR24 the only receiver you have?

There are 3 receivers in the home. I really just want the Genie for my room because many of the programming I want to record overlaps and I'd like to watch two programs at once. I never watch programs on the other receivers.

Does the HR-44 require whole home dvr?​

There are 3 receivers in the home. I really just want the Genie for my room because many of the programming I want to record overlaps and I'd like to watch two programs at once. I never watch programs on the other receivers.

Does the HR-44 require whole home dvr?

I believe it is required.

actually, according to an omx csr I talked to the fees for combos and advanced whole homes are identical now, which I kind of think might be true, since Ive begun to see the whole home authorized message after activating combos. But... because of the way the genie operates, I would say it is more correct to state that the genie includes whole home, rather than requires it.

If you have more than 1 receiver you'll be required to take whole home with the genie.

It's my understanding that even if you only have a Genie, you have to pay for whole home service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.