HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Finally found a Seagate 750 in stock and on sale $ 199, thanks to you great guys here on this site.
Someone posted that BB had then on sale this week, sorry I forgot who, but Thanks just the same :)

Recording my first show now.

Jimbo

Elwaylite,
Has anyone figured out how much it takes recording MPEG2 vs 4. space wise.

Is 1 hour of mpeg 4 equal to 2 hours mpeg2 or is there any type of formula for this.

If I record a 3 hour football game and that takes 10% in mpeg 2 is it 7% mpeg 4, hope you all understand what I'm trying to say ... (that was just hypothetical situation)

Jimbo

Elway, please do me a favor. Place you hand around the FAP and tell me if you can feel a vibration?

Slardy

OK,
Anyone figure out a way to turn off the Yellow light on the FA 750 yet ?
What do you guys do to diminish the light ?

Jimbo

OK,
Anyone figure out a way to turn off the Yellow light on the FA 750 yet ?
What do you guys do to diminish the light ?

Jimbo

Strategically trimmed and placed electrical tape ;)

Cant have that yellow light while Im trying to watch BD's and HDDVD's in the dark.

Strategically trimmed and placed electrical tape ;)

Cant have that yellow light while Im trying to watch BD's and HDDVD's in the dark.

How long have you been doing that with the tape ?
Can it be removed later, seeing it is very warm, I would imagine the tape sticks quite well.
I just wanted to make sure it was not going to over heat if I do that.

What is your experience with it so far.

Jimbo

How long have you been doing that with the tape ?
Can it be removed later, seeing it is very warm, I would imagine the tape sticks quite well.
I just wanted to make sure it was not going to over heat if I do that.

What is your experience with it so far.

Jimbo

Been on there about 2 weeks now. Im using very thin strips, just wide enough to cover the yellow. The base does not feel any warmer than it did before and the tape is still pretty loose. The drives been great since I bought it, no glitches.

Been on there about 2 weeks now. Im using very thin strips, just wide enough to cover the yellow. The base does not feel any warmer than it did before and the tape is still pretty loose. The drives been great since I bought it, no glitches.

I'm thinking that the only way the tape would be an issue is IF it were blocking vents, of course thats not happening in this case :up

Much better, as you said, when the lights are low to watch a good movie I am sure it would be interfering if not covered up.

Jimbo

FAP Coast-down

Elway, please do me a favor. Place you hand around the FAP and tell me if you can feel a vibration?

Slardy

Elwaylite, that is probably the same as my unit. Even though the FAPs have a 5 year warranty, I don't believe that they are intended to run 24/7 as they do in DVRs.

Has anyone set up the FAP to coast-down (not shutdown) when inactive? You have to do this with provided software prior to using the FAP. If you have, did it work, i.e. no problems when the DVR demanded data and the FAP was not spun up?

Slardy

Elwaylite, that is probably the same as my unit. Even though the FAPs have a 5 year warranty, I don't believe that they are intended to run 24/7 as they do in DVRs.

Has anyone set up the FAP to coast-down (not shutdown) when inactive? You have to do this with provided software prior to using the FAP. If you have, did it work, i.e. no problems when the DVR demanded data and the FAP was not spun up?

Slardy

I do not know that this will work, D* is currently bringing live buffers online so I imagine itll run all the time anyways. Correct?

This is the first I have seen this one.
I have never heard of this particular brand, but that doesn't nessasarally mean anything.

I kinda stuck with the Seagate FA (750) because I knew who Seagate was and others have said they have had good luck with it.
There are alot of HD's that for some reason or other won't work with the D* set up, Thats why I did not try something other than the one I did.
The Hitachi 1TB was available when I got mine, but again, did not wqant to deal with something that may or may not work.

Jimbo

I mean they are currently beta testing the live buffer software. Big feature that tivo has where both tuners always have a buffer going so you can flip back and forth between and keep up with two games if you want. Go back, pause, etc...

Once these are going the hdd will need to spin all the time as far as I can tell.

I mean they are currently beta testing the live buffer software. Big feature that tivo has where both tuners always have a buffer going so you can flip back and forth between and keep up with two games if you want. Go back, pause, etc...

Once these are going the hdd will need to spin all the time as far as I can tell.

The HD would have to spin all the time regardless, seeing it is currently buffering the show your watching.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)