HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hr20-700

The HR20-700 comes with a WD3200JS. Thats pretty good for a DVR how it comes. I am not sure what Dish Network has in theirs but I know Time Warner even in there brand new HD-DVR still have a 160gb Seagate.

Well I don't see it on the CC web site, maybe it's a in store only ...
looks like they have several Seagate ones online, I usually see the Seagate 750 esata one in the stores.

Jimbo
It looks like they raised the price to $279.99. It must have been on sale for just a few days.

Upgrade H20?

Hi folks,

Looking for some info. Can anyone direct me to a good source of hard disk upgrade info for the H20? I've upgraded TIVO and REPLAY in the past, but haven't gotten around to it on my 2 H20s. I've seen the esata posts here, but I'm looking for more details.

Thanks for any info!

Hi folks,

Looking for some info. Can anyone direct me to a good source of hard disk upgrade info for the H20? I've upgraded TIVO and REPLAY in the past, but haven't gotten around to it on my 2 H20s. I've seen the esata posts here, but I'm looking for more details.

Thanks for any info!

The H20 doesn't have a hard drive. Do you mean the HR20?

I got caught in this hd upgrade frenzy with Tivos. I ended up spending over $100 to bump up my hd size before I realized that for the same money, I could have swapped out a receiver with another Tivo box. The end result would have been recording 4 shows at once and the same storage capacity.

Before you shell out $200 for more capacity, consider getting a second HR-20 for $300.

I got caught in this hd upgrade frenzy with Tivos. I ended up spending over $100 to bump up my hd size before I realized that for the same money, I could have swapped out a receiver with another Tivo box. The end result would have been recording 4 shows at once and the same storage capacity.

Before you shell out $200 for more capacity, consider getting a second HR-20 for $300.

Really not a bad idea. Of course I would have to replace my standard T.V. in the main living room with a LCD HDTV! :)

Raid box use

Has anybody tried connecting a Raid box containing multiple drives to their HR20? I am curious as to whether it works or not and what boxes people have tried. I would love to get a box for 4 drives or more and Raid 0 or 5 them. On second thought, this is starting to sound to geeky even for me.
But I would like to hear about any attempts to do this.

Has anybody tried connecting a Raid box containing multiple drives to their HR20? I am curious as to whether it works or not and what boxes people have tried. I would love to get a box for 4 drives or more and Raid 0 or 5 them. On second thought, this is starting to sound to geeky even for me.
But I would like to hear about any attempts to do this.

First Welcome :welcome

I will let you know sometime this weekend after I get mine configured. It should have no problems since all the raid is in the external box and will show it as one drive to whatever is hooked up. I got the 4 bay box and 2 500gig HDD's. I will add 2 more later.

The end result would have been recording 4 shows at once and the same storage capacity. Before you shell out $200 for more capacity, consider getting a second HR-20 for $300.

But don't you end up paying another monthly receiver/room access fee to *d for the additional box??

Well the box I got doesn't support standalone Raid, which I didn't know. There is a card that you have to put in your computer to set it up and I don't have a PCI-E card slot in my computer.

Confirming a couple items.

1) If you do the external drive trick, once you unplug and reboot, the internal takes over again?
2) Can you have a couple different externals you swap out?

Well the box I got doesn't support standalone Raid, which I didn't know. There is a card that you have to put in your computer to set it up and I don't have a PCI-E card slot in my computer.

Let me know what you come up with for the Raid once you get it configured properly.

With my Christmas bonus this year, Santa is going to leave this under the tree for me to connect to my HR20!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=2943538&CatId=136#detailspecs

Confirming a couple items.

1) If you do the external drive trick, once you unplug and reboot, the internal takes over again?
2) Can you have a couple different externals you swap out?

Unfortunatly, so far you cannot move the Extrernal HD to a second HR20 for viewing pleasure.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)