HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
DBSTalk.com has a large thread on the subject, and they discuss the WD drive(s) that doesn't work.

Does this mean ALL WD drives or just a few ?
I will start looking on thier site if I can find it.
IF so, thanks as I was looking to locate it over the W/E, I'll save my money for now if it won't work.

I was hoping that BB or CC would have the Seagate 750 marked down for turkey day, no such luck, it's -50 at 229. on line only today. 299 normally.

Jimbo

Last edited:
It's not all WDs, I know that--just one very popular that many ended up buying, then realizing didn't work.

I've been looking for the thread you mentioned and cannot find ANYTHING talking about Hard Drives, IM know it's there somewhere, but that site has WAS too many things going on , on it.

So you saying to stay away for this one ?
I have been waiting to see IF Seagate has a 1 TB, but have yet to see that either.

Jimbo

Well, for one thing you DON'T want the drive to power down when not in use. DVR drives run 24/7.

It spins back up when called for. What is the problem? Have you tried this model?

I too saw the WD My Books you mentioned, but when reading over there It pretty much said that the "Studio" version would not work, over all gave a negative report on the My Books stuff for what we are using it for.

LDV, Can you validate your quote about it not working with a drive that powers down? I saw that and thought that , that would be a real good feature.

Jimbo

Some at DBStalk have reported success with the WD "green" drives that power down when used with the MX-1 enclosure. I would think that this would be an optimum setup generating less heat, and wear on the drive.

I have had attached to my HR20 for the past week an MX-1 enclosure with the WD "Green" 1 TB HDD...and it works beautifully! I even used the esata cord included with the enclosure without an issue...
Hope this helps...

Would the drives really power down when used on a DVR? Isn't information always being written to the drive?

Would the drives really power down when used on a DVR? Isn't information always being written to the drive?

I would imagine it would be seeing there is always a buffer available, unless this is done without the use of the HD, although I don't know how it would do this.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.