HR20 - Release in August (LA to be the first)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScoBuck said:
Don't think so! Earl (and others BTW) have already mentioned numerous times August commercial launch as well as rollout beginning in L.A.

As far as inventory, probably not much different than when the H10-250 launched.

Bottom line - it is being delivered within its original expected timeframe.

Way to go D*!

NO THAT IS NOT A RELEASE, IT IS DTV SPINNING WORDS

AND NO IT IS NOT ON TIME, IT WAS SUPPOSED BE OUT FALL OF 2005, SO DIRECTV IS 1 YEAR PLUS LATE

Scott Greczkowski said:
If they are rolling them out in one area then they are just opening the beta testing a little more.

When they are REALLY released you will be able to get it anywhere in the country.

I don't consider this a "release" of the new DVR, just an expanded beta test.

BINGO ............................

toy4two said:
"Everything DirecTV has said indicates they want high-end subscribers. High-end doesn't mean DVR, it means HD. They're clearly at a competitive disadvantage and have been for a while. "

High end subscribers like myself do not want HD Lite anymore, I gave Directv enough chances to get it together and I'm not seeing improvement in the HD department.

YEAH THEY WANT HIGH END PEOPLE, AND WANT TO $HIT ON THE "WHAT DIECTV CONSIDERS" POOR AND THE RURAL PEOPLE,

moqz1001 said:
YEAH THEY WANT HIGH END PEOPLE, AND WANT TO $HIT ON THE "WHAT DIECTV CONSIDERS" POOR AND THE RURAL PEOPLE,

Do your 'lower case' letters work? Or have you just decided to come in here and YELL at everybody for stating their opinions?

Whether you info is right or wrong - it certainly is RUDE.

I don't know if this so-called release is late or early according to "official" comments by direct tv. However, I have called their service reps several times over the last six months. First, I was told it would be out by May-June. Then, I was told by July. Lately, I have been told by Fall. If they want to avoid building up false expectations, they should be clear with their own employees on what is being communicated to their customers. For me, I do not yet have HD on my television, but I would like to get the new DVR when I subscribe. However, I do not wish to wait until after the next NFL season has begun. Therefore, it would be beneficial to know when I can actually plan to get the new DVR, otherwise I will just get the current model and upgrade some time in the future.

cohenri said:
I don't know if this so-called release is late or early according to "official" comments by direct tv. However, I have called their service reps several times over the last six months. First, I was told it would be out by May-June. Then, I was told by July. Lately, I have been told by Fall. If they want to avoid building up false expectations, they should be clear with their own employees on what is being communicated to their customers. For me, I do not yet have HD on my television, but I would like to get the new DVR when I subscribe. However, I do not wish to wait until after the next NFL season has begun. Therefore, it would be beneficial to know when I can actually plan to get the new DVR, otherwise I will just get the current model and upgrade some time in the future.

We argue about the most ridiculous things really. The official DirecTV press release that I have says it will be out 'mid-2006' - it doesn't say June or any such thing. To me June-July is literally mid-year, so while August might be considered (and it really isn't by much at all) LATE. What are we taling about - a few weeks at best?

BIG DEAL, but it is getting beat to death IMO. How late is Microsoft now with VISTA? And the only point is, it shouldn't be out until its right - if that took a few extra weeks or an extra month or two WHO CARES? Did anyones life change over it?

HR20 - Release in August (LA to be first)

ScoBuck said:
We argue about the most ridiculous things really. The official DirecTV press release that I have says it will be out 'mid-2006' - it doesn't say June or any such thing. To me June-July is literally mid-year, so while August might be considered (and it really isn't by much at all) LATE. What are we taling about - a few weeks at best?

BIG DEAL, but it is getting beat to death IMO. How late is Microsoft now with VISTA? And the only point is, it shouldn't be out until its right - if that took a few extra weeks or an extra month or two WHO CARES? Did anyones life change over it?

There are several members on this site who post regularly re both D* and E* who, to use a polite term, are "hypercritical" about everything that either D* or E* does.

To them, the glass is always half empty, NEVER half full!

That's my opinion.

tds4182 said:
There are several members on this site who post regularly re both D* and E* who, to use a polite term, are "hypercritical" about everything that either D* or E* does.

To them, the glass is always half empty, NEVER half full!

That's my opinion.

Yeah - I know that. Sometimes I really believe that they forget that its ONLY TV.

Surprised there have been so few postings on this so far given the shear number of other threads about the HR20. Yet when we get positive word on the HR20 the thread is still only 5 pages long. Maybe people are so used to complaining about waiting that they don't know what to do when there's an actual release in sight :p

I put the question "when" to D*...their reply..
Q. When will DIRECTV release its new HDTV DVR?
A. DIRECTV says it will be launched in mid-August in Los Angeles, but has not released launch dates for other cities.

Well kids, here are some germaine facts concerning my person:

1. Have had Directv for about 10 years.
2. Have had the H20 since mid April.
3. Have been into HD since late 2001, I think. Super Bowl 2002 at the latest.
5. Have 5 HD TV's including my coup de grace, a Sony WEGA SXRD 1080p set.

Yesterday, I had Time Warner installed with three HD DVR's and so I did a PQ comparison using my two HDMI ports with the SA 8300 vs the H20. No contest. Not even close. I had forgotten what real HD looked like. Even the mpeg4 HD channels on the H20 looked washed out, soft, fuzzy and dull compared witht the exact same channel from TW.

I love the TIVO. I do not want to give up Tivo but I think I am finished with Directv. The SA 8300 is functional, but klunky. Since the HR 20 will not be a Tivo, I am fairly sure it will be no better than the 8300.

I simply cannot believe the image I watched last evening on INHD as they broadcast a live MLB game. It was simply stunning. I have not seen ANYTHING like this from Directv for 4 years. It is a pity.

I am not trying to start a Directv bashing contest, but without Tivo, they have NO advantage and a ton of disadvantages! I guess I do not want the HR20 even if Direct would even exchange my HD Tivo for it! That is saying a lot.

Is there anyone here in the LA DMA that is going to try to get a hold of one of these? Mid-August is only 2 weeks away now :D I'm sure everyone is waiting for screenshots and reviews.

hancox said:
Why yes, you're right...
\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by moqz1001
I AM A @#$@%@#%@#$% WHO CAN'T USE A SHIFT KEY.

Why yes, you're right...

um now cussing me, how adult and fraudalently put stuff i never said

Last edited:
Still very little additional postings on this news, and that's the case on other forums as well. It almost seems like I'm the only one that was patient enough to remain excited now, hah.

Well... there hasn't been much more news on the unit.

Other then in a PM moqz1001 let me know that he was able to order/secure 2 units for a by August 23rd delivery date....

he didn't state how he was able to do it, or where they are comming from... but... he must have a better inside line that I do... as I still don't have ordering information...

Earl

ebonovic said:
Well... there hasn't been much more news on the unit.

Other then in a PM moqz1001 let me know that he was able to order/secure 2 units for a by August 23rd delivery date....

he didn't state how he was able to do it, or where they are comming from... but... he must have a better inside line that I do... as I still don't have ordering information...

Earl

now earl, why blabbing my info, that was sent privately,

shame, shame, shame, everybody knows your name !!!!

jabroni said:
Well kids, here are some germaine facts concerning my person:

1. Have had Directv for about 10 years.
2. Have had the H20 since mid April.
3. Have been into HD since late 2001, I think. Super Bowl 2002 at the latest.
5. Have 5 HD TV's including my coup de grace, a Sony WEGA SXRD 1080p set.

Yesterday, I had Time Warner installed with three HD DVR's and so I did a PQ comparison using my two HDMI ports with the SA 8300 vs the H20. No contest. Not even close. I had forgotten what real HD looked like. Even the mpeg4 HD channels on the H20 looked washed out, soft, fuzzy and dull compared witht the exact same channel from TW.

I love the TIVO. I do not want to give up Tivo but I think I am finished with Directv. The SA 8300 is functional, but klunky. Since the HR 20 will not be a Tivo, I am fairly sure it will be no better than the 8300.

I simply cannot believe the image I watched last evening on INHD as they broadcast a live MLB game. It was simply stunning. I have not seen ANYTHING like this from Directv for 4 years. It is a pity.

I am not trying to start a Directv bashing contest, but without Tivo, they have NO advantage and a ton of disadvantages! I guess I do not want the HR20 even if Direct would even exchange my HD Tivo for it! That is saying a lot.

I belive when Rupert bought the company, that slowed Directv down on several fronts.

As they changed game plans from the last controllers of Directv.

Last edited:
jabroni said:

Where do you live? I had HD from TWC in Durham, NC for a couple of years. The fact that they were trying to push too much over their cable in my area and reduced HD resolution is what made me decide to switch to DirecTV. Well, that and how much I loved the DirecTiVo. Anyway, if I could not get quality HD from cable for $90/month, I figured I should at least save some money and get TiVo at the same time.

Thanks,
Ted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts