HR20 - Release in August (LA to be the first)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
asousa said:
I thought this thread would be red hot.... anymore word on this?

This is D* we are talking about. Anything that gets posted or they partially say you cant hold your breathe or get too excited. I am just taking a casual wait and see. But you are right, it should be red hot and lots to talk about!! :(

ScoBuck said:
We argue about the most ridiculous things really. The official DirecTV press release that I have says it will be out 'mid-2006' - it doesn't say June or any such thing. To me June-July is literally mid-year, so while August might be considered (and it really isn't by much at all) LATE. What are we taling about - a few weeks at best?

BIG DEAL, but it is getting beat to death IMO. How late is Microsoft now with VISTA? And the only point is, it shouldn't be out until its right - if that took a few extra weeks or an extra month or two WHO CARES? Did anyones life change over it?

I'm sorry if you think I am busting on your company. I would defend my company to the hilt too.

However, you have to understand people's frustrations. No one sent me the company's official DirectTV press release. My main source of information is when I speak to an employee of the company or one of the company's representatives. I can rely on the rumors on sites such as this, but only to a certain extent. I am trying to make buying decisions based on what I have been told and the information keeps changing. Not only based on time, but based on which representative I speak to at DirectTV.

We can rip on Microsoft as well if you would like. However, this board is a Direct TV HD discussion board. I am not saying that another company is better or a competitor is more timely with their releases. I am just frustrated with how I have been treated as a customer and the continued lack of information.

asousa said:
I thought this thread would be red hot.... anymore word on this?

Seems like this is going to remain lukewarm until we get some additional concrete info or even some crazy rumors. The charcoals are all set, but D* hasn't provided us with the lighter fluid yet...

FWIW, retention told me fall "meaning Sep or Oct".
However, she also confirmed that it's going to be a straight-up swap-out. At least, she confirmed that AFTER looking at my account. Maybe it has something to do with hearts??

cohenri said:
I'm sorry if you think I am busting on your company. I would defend my company to the hilt too.

However, you have to understand people's frustrations. No one sent me the company's official DirectTV press release. My main source of information is when I speak to an employee of the company or one of the company's representatives. I can rely on the rumors on sites such as this, but only to a certain extent. I am trying to make buying decisions based on what I have been told and the information keeps changing. Not only based on time, but based on which representative I speak to at DirectTV.

We can rip on Microsoft as well if you would like. However, this board is a Direct TV HD discussion board. I am not saying that another company is better or a competitor is more timely with their releases. I am just frustrated with how I have been treated as a customer and the continued lack of information.

The fact remains they said mid-06 and they will be on or close to schedule.

One has to remember if and when they are talking calendar vs fiscal years. DirecTV business is more than likely talking fiscal, and users & CSRs are probably talking calendar.

Examples of Business/fiscal year (2006 example- "FY06", sometimes written "FY05–06") can be as follows:

* 1st Quarter: October 1, 2005 – December 31, 2005 (Winter)
* 2nd Quarter: January 1, 2006 – March 31, 2006 (Spring)
* 3rd Quarter: April 1, 2006 – June 30, 2006 (Summer)
* 4th Quarter: July 1, 2006 – September 30, 2006 (Fall)

* 1st Quarter: January 1, 2006 – March 31, 2006 (Spring)
* 2nd Quarter: April 1, 2006 – June 30, 2006 (Summer)
* 3rd Quarter: July 1, 2006 – September 30, 2006 (Fall)
* 4th Quarter: October 1, 2005 – December 31, 2005 (Winter)

Can't wait to get the HR-20 DVR...will it still look like this:

IMGP26391.jpg

Could look like that, but that pic was taken over 6 months ago if I remember correctly. I wouldn't really mind if the exterior was just a cardboard box, just so long as the hardware and software contained within perform as D* has been promising all this time.

That box looks like a mock up but I bet it will be pretty close. And as Poitnarf said as long as it works correctly.....

Here's the quote from Chase Carey (CEO) in today's (8/8/06) Financial Results Conference call:

"...we're also very excited about the launch of our new HD-DVR which is scheduled to be introduced in Los Angeles later this month and nationwide in the following weeks."

Sounds like they plan a pretty speedy rollout, eh?

(source: see Investor Relations on DIRECTV.com)

ScoBuck said:
The fact remains they said mid-06 and they will be on or close to schedule.

The fact remains that I was told by their employees May and then June and then July and then August. It appears that it will not be in my area until September, October or later. That is not on schedule or close to schedule in my book.

cohenri said:
The fact remains that I was told by their employees May and then June and then July and then August. It appears that it will not be in my area until September, October or later. That is not on schedule or close to schedule in my book.

Never believe anything that a CSR will tell you about future products or services. They are just not in the know when it comes to things like that. I was a CSR at Vonage for a short time, trust me, 80% of them barely know enough to do 1/2 their job. Getting upset about them not making a date they specified in a press release, that's a different story.

does anyone have any idea of when it may be released to the DC viewing area? Also is there any word on a swap out for the HR10-250 and the old 3 LNB dish? thanks

PoitNarf said:
Never believe anything that a CSR will tell you about future products or services. They are just not in the know when it comes to things like that. I was a CSR at Vonage for a short time, trust me, 80% of them barely know enough to do 1/2 their job. Getting upset about them not making a date they specified in a press release, that's a different story.

Yea, anybody that believes what *any* CSR says from *any* company is just asking for trouble and not doing their research. These are people just above telemarketers and just aren't in the know about things.

And I used to work on a corporate help desk. Sure they are good at getting you up and running and the basics but beyond that they just aren't in the know about things. I can't tell you how many times a new application was rolled out and installed to thousands of users and nobody bothered to tell the help desk (which should be one of the first things done). We'd find out about it when we started getting calls on an app we never heard of. A week of digging later we'd find the engineer who'd say "ooops, sorry about that".

Happened more then you'd think.

And this happens *everywhere* and in all industries. DirecTV is no different. The CSR's won't have any info on the new HD-DVR until the week before it rolls out....if that.

I'm not saying it's right and not making excuses for any company, it's just how it works unfortunately. And the more things get outsourced to India the worse it will get.

bonscott87 said:
Yea, anybody that believes what *any* CSR says from *any* company is just asking for trouble and not doing their research. These are people just above telemarketers and just aren't in the know about things.

Kind of harsh treatment, but I think you've got a key point in there that could get more attention: if a CSR says something, it's a good idea to do some research, trying to confirm (or deny) it by reliable sources (not rumor-mill sites). A good starting point is usually press releases.

My experience

rhino31 said:
does anyone have any idea of when it may be released to the DC viewing area? Also is there any word on a swap out for the HR10-250 and the old 3 LNB dish? thanks

FiOS is coming to the area (Fairfax, VA) in another week or two. According to my math, it'll end up being a better deal in the end.

Any ways called DTV to see if I could find out some more info about the HR20 and to find out if my equipment was a lease of I owned it. CSR told me I owned my stuff according to his records and if I was going to cancel, I could just return my stuff and all was good (a H20 and HR10-250) and I could make a clean break (does this sound right?).

He then transferred me to tech support who told me he was told more info would be given on Aug. 16th (maybe LA launch?) and then transferred me again to a "higher level?" tech support.

She was aware of the HR20 and said that it would be available in the next couple of months and would probably be Fed Ex'd out to me if I wanted it as I already had the LNB-5.

Again I don't know how much the information is worth, but thought I'd share my experience. I'm trying to hold out for the HR20, but FiOS is very tempting and friends say it's a no brainer to get FiOS especially if I had a HDTV. . .. decisions. . . . decisions. . . decisions. . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)