HR21-700 and Remote not playing well together

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rhinoman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Long story short:
My HR21-700 and remote control only work together 33% of the time.
I've had about an 2 hour's worth of tech support as we tried to reset the remote. They tried doing a remote reset as well.
We tried switching to RF mode but no luck there.
Of course-checked the batteries-fine.
They shipped me a new remote- no luck there either.

I have tried sitting further back from the receiver and holding the remote in all directions (straight in front, to the side, etc...) Very frustrating because it will work part of the time.
One of the Directv tech folks said it was due to the 3-D firmware they sent out and it caused havoc with the HD/DVRs. I don't know what it is, but I am ready for a solution.

Suggestions please!!!

Long story short:
My HR21-700 and remote control only work together 33% of the time.
I've had about an 2 hour's worth of tech support as we tried to reset the remote. They tried doing a remote reset as well.
We tried switching to RF mode but no luck there.
Of course-checked the batteries-fine.
They shipped me a new remote- no luck there either.

I have tried sitting further back from the receiver and holding the remote in all directions (straight in front, to the side, etc...) Very frustrating because it will work part of the time.
One of the Directv tech folks said it was due to the 3-D firmware they sent out and it caused havoc with the HD/DVRs. I don't know what it is, but I am ready for a solution.

Suggestions please!!!

If you move right up close in front of it, does it work all the time, or not ?

Wondering what you have that is causing interference ?

I just read your suggestion and tried the remote about three inches away from the receiver... it works.

You may be right about interference. I have now moved the receiver over to the side of my makeshift entertainment center, away from other electrical items. I wonder if it is the blu-ray player that was right below the receiver that might be the issue? Or maybe it was sitting too close to my Toshiba TV? I'll keep testing this over the next day or two and let you know if this is the solution. I've never had a problem before with components being too close together- interesting.

Thanks for the tip!

Interference can be from the back light of an LCD TV. If you have one, try turning down the back light setting. Compact fluorescent lighting is also a problem.

Also, check to see if you have a Automatic Light control turned on, it adjust the picture according to the light in the room.

Receiver and remote are back to their old tricks of not communicating. I followed the advice of checking the back light and automatic light control. There are not any flourscent lights in the room so that isn't an issue.
It seems like the only way to get the remote working is to hold it one inch from the receiver! (Or just use the buttons on the receiver) And like before, sometimes I can be sitting there and it will work just fine from four feet away. It is maddening!

Does this HD/DVR have a built-in RF antenna? I was told it did by customer service.

Thought I'd give an update.

The Receiver and remote are working together about 90-95 % of the time now. I don't know if Directv did something on their end or if one of the suggestions offered here did the trick. I moved components around and did lots of trouble shooting. We just bought this house so I'm learning about some of the quirks- like the home security sensor on the ceiling behind the tv, or the mysterious overhead light that can dimmed with a remote, or some other oddball thing that I have never had to deal with before. I wish knew what caused it, but at least it is working decently now. Thanks.

Thought I'd give an update.

The Receiver and remote are working together about 90-95 % of the time now. I don't know if Directv did something on their end or if one of the suggestions offered here did the trick. I moved components around and did lots of trouble shooting. We just bought this house so I'm learning about some of the quirks- like the home security sensor on the ceiling behind the tv, or the mysterious overhead light that can dimmed with a remote, or some other oddball thing that I have never had to deal with before. I wish knew what caused it, but at least it is working decently now. Thanks.

Now we know !!
It's the HOUSE, it's possessed :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts