HR21: No Antenna Input?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
So I had my install today and I was given the new HR21 HDDVR which is a pretty slick looking black receiver. But it has no Antenna Input. I called directv to ask about it because I wanted to be able to record two shows at one, PLUS the antenna for 3 things at one. They said that this was never possible with the directv receivers, that you could only ever record TWO things at one, even with an antenna. Coming over from Dish Network, this is disappointing.

YEs it has never been possible 2 record two things at once... with the new Directv On Demand you can record two things and download a third..... and it has No OTA because in 2 years there will be no more OTA channels (real bummer)

There will be OTA in 2 years, no idea what jcflesh is talking about. Only thing is the OTA will be all digital, since analog has to be off in 2009!

There will be OTA in 2 years, no idea what jcflesh is talking about. Only thing is the OTA will be all digital, since analog has to be off in 2009!

A customer of mine was recently talking about no more OTA and I basically told them what you just stated. jcflesh had me questioning myself.

Thank you cforrest,

At least someone has the right answer here.
post # 6

OTA will be around for a long time ... I would call D* and tell them you want a version that has an OTA tuner in it.

Jimbo

I have a old Hughes HD E86 unit that picks up all the digital/analog OTA that are available, not just the ones Directv thinks I should have like on the H20 unit.

Was going to sell the E86 as a OTA tuner on Ebay but now I will hold on to this little gem till the change over from analog to digital is done.

Matt

YEs it has never been possible 2 record two things at once... with the new Directv On Demand you can record two things and download a third..... and it has No OTA because in 2 years there will be no more OTA channels (real bummer)
where are you getting your info? There will be OTA for many years to come. they are changing them to digital broadcasts, but there is no plan to do away with OTA.
To the OP if you want OTA capability, you need a HR-20

Ok, but at no point could a directv receiver do what the Dish receivers do as far as recording from your two regular tuners AND your antenna all at once? Does the new HR21 have anything that I'd want that the HR20 doesn't have? I just want to make sure that I'm not going to lose anything if I ask to get an HR20 instead for the OTA connection.

Ok, but at no point could a directv receiver do what the Dish receivers do as far as recording from your two regular tuners AND your antenna all at once? Does the new HR21 have anything that I'd want that the HR20 doesn't have? I just want to make sure that I'm not going to lose anything if I ask to get an HR20 instead for the OTA connection.
No you wont lose anything by going that route. You can only record two at once, however with the D* box those two can both be OTA if you desire. Trade offs with each service

Folks, if you desire OTA, make sure you ask for and receive an HR20-700 or HR20-100 HD DVR!!! If D* won't send you one, then go to Costco ($269) or another retailer and buy it outright and have D* credit you for the cost.

Folks, if you desire OTA, make sure you ask for and receive an HR20-700 or HR20-100 HD DVR!!! If D* won't send you one, then go to Costco ($269) or another retailer and buy it outright and have D* credit you for the cost.
Getting it at costco or anywhere else for $269 is still a lease. FYI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)